Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Updated ST16 with Typhoon H Pro - 3rd Antenna

RBC

Reaction score
Some people on the forum have noticed the Typhoon H Pro with RealSense shown on Yuneec.com shows an SR16 with 3 antenna. Does anyone know what the purpose of the 3rd antenna is? I am thinking the purpose may be to improve video and/or telemetry range as Yuneec Tech Support does not think RealSense uses an antenna.

Looked closely on my video of the ST16 at the YUNEEC stand at the recent trade show last week. No third antenna shown there .Weird

I have not seen that. RealSense is a passive system, requiring no input from the user so I have no idea.

The 3rd antenna has zero to do with realsense. If it did then we'd all have to buy new controllers when we attach the realsense module to our Typhoon's in early August.

The 3rd antenna is just one more antenna which you can now angle in a slightly different orientation to the other so you have a wider spectrum of communication at range. Less signal drop outs will occur.

The 3rd antenna has zero to do with realsense. If it did then we'd all have to buy new controllers when we attach the realsense module to our Typhoon's in early August.

The 3rd antenna is just one more antenna which you can now angle in a slightly different orientation to the other so you have a wider spectrum of communication at range. Less signal drop outs will occur.
That's what I was thinking its purpose was for, but you would think that Yuneec would also update the ST16 for the Typhoon H's without RealSense as well, wouldn't you?

That's what I was thinking its purpose was for, but you would think that Yuneec would also update the ST16 for the Typhoon H's without RealSense as well, wouldn't you?
My guess is that due to production costs, all future ST16 will have the 3 antennas. Maybe not right away, but by the fall. From a business cost perspective it makes no sense to make two models of the ST16 if only for the purpose of addiding one more antenna and Firmware to interact with Realsense and the IPS.

When we get our realsense attachment devices in August, we will have to update the firmware on the "H" and ST16.

I returned my "H" to Yuneec last month. The controller they sent me back is a newer model because the previous model had defects. Once they run out of the 2 antenna models all that should be available is the 3 antenna model. For those who send a damaged 2 antenna controller back to Yuneec in the fall, they will more than likely get back the 3 antenna model.

Check out this video by Bo Lorentzen. At 25:48 he talks about George cracking open the ST16 and finding out that both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz have two antennas (diversity) each. Only one is external, the other internal.
I'm guessing for the new ST16, they've made both 2.4GHz antennas external. Also in the picture with the two ST16's side by side, the newer ST16's antennas look longer than the old one. Probably 5dBi instead of the standard 3dBi ones.

Reactions: JohnL

Yes but the antenna locations have also changed. My question would be; is this 3rd antenna simply tapped off the same connection internally or is it on its own power amplifier?

Last edited:
All ST16's have a third antenna inside running on 2.4GHz for telemetry data. I think that is the reason I lose telemetry about the same time I lose video feed, although the telemetry reconnects sooner.

Im seriously loosing faith in YUNEEC always adding **** and making you pay more why couldn't they just do this from the the get go? So July / August 2016 they're going to release the new ST16 and the RS module...whats going to happen by December? the Typhoon H Pro+ that has frickin laser beams? :D on a serious note this is getting ridiculous they are making a product that just came out obsolete in a few months, I will march right into their office and demand this new controller...this is a game were playing here people and were the test subjects and our own expense.

There is a saying...... "fools rush in". It's been said thousands of times before and these days it can relate to anything we buy.
NEVER buy the 1st of anything, unless you enjoy the frustrations of improvements that you missed out on.
It's not a bite at anyone, just a fact.

Im seriously loosing faith in YUNEEC always adding **** and making you pay more why couldn't they just do this from the the get go? So July / August 2016 they're going to release the new ST16 and the RS module...whats going to happen by December? the Typhoon H Pro+ that has frickin laser beams? :D on a serious note this is getting ridiculous they are making a product that just came out obsolete in a few months, I will march right into their office and demand this new controller...this is a game were playing here people and were the test subjects and our own expense.
Where the heck is all this coming from. There is one ST16......ONE. They all have 3 signals with antennas. 1) Control signal 2) Video signal 3) Telemetry. If someone has different information I'd like to see it. The RealSense is an optional add-on. The ST16 and the H are still the same.

My guess is that due to production costs, all future ST16 will have the 3 antennas. Maybe not right away, but by the fall. From a business cost perspective it makes no sense to make two models of the ST16 if only for the purpose of addiding one more antenna and Firmware to interact with Realsense and the IPS.

When we get our realsense attachment devices in August, we will have to update the firmware on the "H" and ST16.

I returned my "H" to Yuneec last month. The controller they sent me back is a newer model because the previous model had defects. Once they run out of the 2 antenna models all that should be available is the 3 antenna model. For those who send a damaged 2 antenna controller back to Yuneec in the fall, they will more than likely get back the 3 antenna model.
Where did you ever get the idea your controller has 2 antennas???? They all have 3.

This is the 3rd antenna I am talking about. This is from Yuneec's website.

Typhoon series - Free Shipping in USA

Intel® RealSense™ Technology
Capable of detecting obstacles and intelligently navigating around them, Typhoon H with Intel® RealSense™ Technology gives you the freedom to explore new creative options.

Where did you ever get the idea your controller has 2 antennas???? They all have 3.
Sometimes this forum reminds me of Sesame Street. Everyone look at your ST16... how many antennas do you see? Count slowly...Two right? Now look at the picture of the new ST16 for the Typhoon H Pro and count the antennas. Three right. Good. Now reread my post.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval