Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Using Freewell GraD ND filters

Reaction score
Is it ok to leave the Grad ND filter on to the camera all the time. This is the one that you can rotate. With the extra weight I notice that it drags the gimbal down when I power down the drone. Will perk right up when powered. Wondering if this puts extra strain on the gimbal?

Also, with the filter on, the gimbal retaining clip does not fit right as the circumference of the filter is larger. Have any made mods to the clip so that it fits? If yes, could you post pictures? Thanks

It is ok to leave the filter on. In fact, it is much better for the gimbal if filters are added or removed with the gimbal powered down.

As for the gimbal lock, it only needs to prevent the camera and gimbal from moving while installed. It does not have to fit tightly to accomplish that so don't be too concerned about the fit over the filter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just a couple of suggestions since I've noticed the same thing with my Freewell ND32. I think the Typhoon H gimbal is robust enough to handle it because none of the gimbal motors have become warm. For example, my Walkera 2 axis gimbal motors would become really warm with my GoPro.

I was thinking of taping a temporary weight like a dime to the back of the CGO3+ to see if that balances it out. A balanced gimbal will perform better. Whatever the weight ends up being, long term I plan to use something like velcro to affix the counterweight to the CGO3+.

Just keep in mind, both the weight of the filter and the counter weight will reduce flight times.

Reactions: Bert2006
Update- I opted to cut out the front of the gimbal brace to allow the wider filter lens to protrude through it. Without it, the brace kept getting hung up in my carry case as it was not fully seating. Almost pulled the gimbal and camera off when trying to remove it today. So used a dremel tool to do the job and now it fits perfectly. Also, with the heavier filter, calibrating the compass caused the camera to stay at an angle, so I had to recalibrate it also.

The calibration info is quite interesting. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wccannabis