Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Very disappointed with the follow/watch me on the H

Reaction score
At anything faster than a average walking speed and other than a fairly straight line, it quickly gets behind and trains the camera 20-30' off where it should be.

Anyway to correct this? If not it's pretty much worthless for what I bought it for. Not very happy with my H right now.:mad:

Out of 15 attempts this is one of the best out comes, most of the time, the H completely loses the subject with the wizard after a few movements. The only option is to film from 50-60 feet up, but then it like watching ants.

Last edited:
For the price, thats about as good as its going to get. To have a aerial platform that can literally mimic the movements of a fast moving human, at close range, instantly - will be very expensive, so much so that you won't mind finding another way to film. Heck, there are football players paid millions of dollars per game to just stop a running back and even they - can't do it sometimes. :cool:

The GPS available in these platforms aren't that great unfortunately and you're expectations, while modest are still far in excess of what these aircraft can do in a real world setting. The myth of the magic drone; is just that. These aircraft can - at best - only loosely follow a subject at distance.

On a different note; there were some cool shots there (no pun intended;)) I had a friend that shot competitively and we rigged a first person camera on him as well as a few static along the route and, with proper editing, you can get a very fluid feel of what you are doing - add in a few aerial clips and the visual could be far more stunning. The simple truth is; a one camera shot of action like that will never give the results we expect unfortunately from the Typhoon H.

Reactions: AH-1G
I agree with Ty, IMO you should have had someone at the controls. I also agree the H was to low.

You need to send a PM yo vegasrobbi and ask for tips on how to best use it. He uses it quite a lot for following Jeeps on roads and trails.

The follow me feature does fairly well at somewhat constant speeds and lateral movements from a distance. It does poorly with fast start and stop movements and quick changes in direction. It's comparing the GPS location of the Wizard and the H and resolving the change in distance and direction. First it takes time for the GPS of each unit to catch up to the movement and then the FC has to initiate the commands to move the aircraft to the desired location. In this case, by the time it does that the Wizard has moved. It cannot anticipate movement. It has to wait until the movement occurs and then react to the change.

Many times, when just standing getting ready the camera moves off target. Almost always to the left of the H. I can bring it back somewhat with the wizard, but it goes back the 20-30' behind the subject.

As Steve said, just walking in a relative straight line it does fairly good, any sudden direction change or quick movement, it quickly gets lost, and most times even when it catches up the camera is way off the subject.

I wonder if an 8mm lens change which would allow for more altitude, may overcome some of the problems. Still have the problem of the cam always thinking the wizard is 20-30' left (behind, in most instances we had setup) the subject. Don't know how to fix that problem.

Perhaps you should try re-calibrating the Wizard compass. Also keep in mind, the Wizard needs a view of the satellites to maintain the best accuracy.

Also worth considering recording in 4K then cropping to 1080P so you can fly further from the subject and compensate for movement.

Reactions: BroVari
At anything faster than a average walking speed and other than a fairly straight line, it quickly gets behind and trains the camera 20-30' off where it should be.

Anyway to correct this? If not it's pretty much worthless for what I bought it for. Not very happy with my H right now.:mad:

Out of 15 attempts this is one of the best out comes, most of the time, the H completely loses the subject with the wizard after a few movements. The only option is to film from 50-60 feet up, but then it like watching ants.
Before I buy product for whatever reason I always gather information from other users like this forum, sales people, product info etc. if the product will suit all my needs and perform as I want. The same for a drone.

Before I buy product for whatever reason I always gather information from other users like this forum, sales people, product info etc. if the product will suit all my needs and perform as I want. The same for a drone.
I read a lot about yuneec and DJI before purchase, no where did I see anybody comment about them getting lost - maybe I missed it.

I do remember most follow me footage is just pretty much straight line stuff.

I also now see why there are very few wizard videos - nobody uses it.

Wizard is great, you just have to learn working with it.
Follow-me with wizard is lots and lots better then the DJI follow function, especially if there is some obstacle around.

Best turn off RS if there are no obstacles in vicinity (RS is very slow indeed, but works okay).

Seen follow-me vids @40 miles an hour, following a bike and a car. Seen a great follow me with RS engaged, of a lawn-mower (faster then walking on foot, and no, I do not mean PatR's vid). Seen great vid of mountainbiker with follow me and RS engaged, but he had to slow down sometimes.

I wonder if an 8mm lens change which would allow for more altitude, may overcome some of the problems. Still have the problem of the cam always thinking the wizard is 20-30' left (behind, in most instances we had setup) the subject. Don't know how to fix that problem.

IMHO, even though a longer lens would give you that additional cushion of distance, an 8mm lens would be even worse at the following aspect because of the additional magnification... also vibrational softness, from the quick camera movements would end up counteracting the increased resolution of shooting 4K.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulrs