Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Video from the C23 and H Plus

Status
Not open for further replies.
BTW, I just viewed Milosh Kitchovitch's latest video on Sri Lanka (Amazing Places on Our Planet). He shoots gorgeous videos (3840x2160x30fps) with his Sony AX100 of World Heritage Sites. His panning speed is more like 10-seconds for one full screen worth of pan. Any faster than that starts to look jittery. Also, his vertical pans do look smoother but its hard to compare the speed due to the 16x9 image ratio.

Reactions: YuKay and rdonson
Finally video without any music! This can become very annoying and poor choices of music can ruin the video enjoyment.
Also I diid appreciate your slow pan movements, many try to pan to quickly thus distorting the video.
Over all the imagery is fantastic, did you have this in auto mode for recording or manual settings?
Thank you! Here is the initial link with a bit of an explanation : Video from the C23 and H Plus

Reactions: AH-1G
Just for the heck of it I did some less than ideal light pan tests with the 920 in 4k-30 while testing another item. It does not possess 4k-60. Pan recording is smooth at any yaw speed but can experience some bumps at slower gimbal pan speeds. However, fast pans in low light using ISO 200 blur the image badly as would be expected. As the flight was intended to test something else I didn’t bump up ISO. I want to try that again with higher low light ISO to observe image clarity and rolling shutter effects. Most of the pans I’ve seen from you folks with the C-23 seems pretty darn good to me as long as they weren’t rushed.

Reactions: YuKay
BTW, I just viewed Milosh Kitchovitch's latest video on Sri Lanka (Amazing Places on Our Planet). He shoots gorgeous videos (3840x2160x30fps) with his Sony AX100 of World Heritage Sites. His panning speed is more like 10-seconds for one full screen worth of pan. Any faster than that starts to look jittery. Also, his vertical pans do look smoother but its hard to compare the speed due to the 16x9 image ratio.
Great video with scarcely an artifact to be seen. But, for me, only the ultra-slowest pans are smooth with the majority suffering a slight stutter. At around $1500, this is a decent prosumer camera and Mr Kitchovitch is obviously an experienced videographer, editor and uploader; so this video has taught me not to expect the impossible from the C23.

Reactions: rdonson
If you’re making big production movies the ultra high resolution stuff is really good for the post processing but the vast majority of final product is down scaled to lower frame rates (often 24fps) and resolutions that can be broadcast. There isn’t all that much 4k broadcast stuff hitting our homes and often what there is has been choked down due to delivery speeds. Shooting in 4k and up is great but publishing in 4k is only good for those that have the capability to play it at that resolution at every level of their play back equipment. Slow internet, lower resolution monitors, old and slower computers, modems, obsolete graphic cards, all defeat 4k play back snd often generate confusion with people that think the video is bad when all the old stuff they are trying to play it on or through is at fault. Cinema companies have been shooting in 8k for years but nothing currently out there can deal with broadcast or playback for the general viewer. IMO, shooting in 4k and up is great but publishing for the masses is still best served at 1080. We all want to show the best product we can but that can end up an exercise in futility when many can’t effectively play it. It gets tiring to be constantly trying to figure out why people’s play back equipment is hanging up, and they don’t like hearing the problem is on their end.
This Fstoppers article summarises the compelling reasons for shooting in 4k.

Did a quick test of simulating the Dolly Zoom effect on the C23 using Vegas Pro 15.
I am experimenting on extending the effect past the 'suggested' 3 second duration.

Reactions: rdonson
For me, I find it easier to shoot everything in a single format and deal with it in the manner desired later. It’s a real pain to shoot various places and scenes in different formats and later have to discard highly desirable clips because of a lower resolution. Shooting 4k and down scaling is easy, and as mentioned in the article, pulling stills from a 4k video is a lot better grab than one from 1080. As I don’t use the more fancy and expensive post processing programs, starting out with higher resolution helps balance things out in post.

I’ve got some real nice post programs, Vegas, Capture 1, I’ve never been able to use because they won’t open and scale correctly in a 4k laptop. I have yet to figure out how to get them to size up to the screen without having to first reduce screen resolution.

I’ve got some real nice post programs, Vegas, Capture 1, I’ve never been able to use because they won’t open and scale correctly in a 4k laptop. I have yet to figure out how to get them to size up to the screen without having to first reduce screen resolution.
A lot of these programs have a "Full Screen" option in a menu or settings.

FWIW, my 5k Mac screen defaults to 2560x1440 pixels out of the box for the very practical reason that at full resolution, text and everything else is almost invisible. But at this default resolution, 4k video can only play in a scaled-down window/viewport. But if I switch the screen to 5k resolution (5120x2880 pixels) then the screen is bigger than 4k video and I have to watch it in a smaller window/viewport. I can make it play full screen but I am then magnifying the video pixels and therefore not seeing native 4k video. Unfortunately, Apple didn't include screen setting options which exactly match 4k video so it's not possible to view full screen without compromise.

That’s similar to what I dealt with in Win-10 but there’s no possibly of 5k in resolution options. The program full screen options only open up to less than half screen and all the tool windows are truncated. I would certainly use the better programs if they weren’t so small and illegible due to text size. There’s got to be a way to fix that but I have yet to find it.

Great video with scarcely an artifact to be seen. But, for me, only the ultra-slowest pans are smooth with the majority suffering a slight stutter. At around $1500, this is a decent prosumer camera and Mr Kitchovitch is obviously an experienced videographer, editor and uploader; so this video has taught me not to expect the impossible from the C23.
I've owned a Sony AX100 for a year and a half now and am still learning how to make the best use of it. It has the easiest to understand controls for the 3 corners of the exposure triangle that I have ever used. Milosh Kitchovitch's work is something for me to aspire to.

The compelling element in the dolly zoom footage is the yacht in the upper middle right hand shot. I see this opening shot as a placement and then I am expecting a transition to into the yacht or close to the yacht as the story unfolds. Since this is a movie, I expect movement. The dolly zoom supplies this movement with it's own cost such as artifacts - 1,2,3,4 cut. Is a hover shot that has movement of birds, wind surfers across the bay better or worse? The dolly zoom does draw me in, but I think it can only be used once in a film or would otherwise be viewed as a gimmick.

The compelling element in the dolly zoom footage is the yacht in the upper middle right hand shot. I see this opening shot as a placement and then I am expecting a transition to into the yacht or close to the yacht as the story unfolds. Since this is a movie, I expect movement. The dolly zoom supplies this movement with it's own cost such as artifacts - 1,2,3,4 cut. Is a hover shot that has movement of birds, wind surfers across the bay better or worse? The dolly zoom does draw me in, but I think it can only be used once in a film or would otherwise be viewed as a gimmick.
The dolly zoom effect is more effective when aiming at a big item on the foreground (e.g a house) while zooming out the background keeping the foreground static or slowly moving closer to the viewer. On the video I've posted above, the foreground item is the whole beach and the background is the whole bay area (including the yacht). It is not the best example of the effect - it was more of a quick afternoon test that I had the idea while casually flying my H+ - but the movement is there; the sea, the bay and the mountain trees move!

Reactions: Windluv
That's mine. Just uploaded, have not even looked to see what it was like on YouTube yet. Thanks!

It is a 4K video, you picked it a bit early while YouTube processing.

Since you posted it, a bit about the location.

The last shot shows the buildings that Dreamworks used to be in; Google has effectively been purchasing all the offices and is slowly taking over ownership but not moving in. Our startup used to be here.

As the pan-around is occurring in the last shot, there is a bridge a couple miles out sitting low. Just over the bridge on the left is Facebook, $500 billion valuation. Down the road about 5 miles past the bridge is the main Google sprawl, $860 billion valuation. 7 miles further down is Cupertino and Apple, $1 trillion valuation. Microsoft has a small campus but is present in between Google and Apple, $900 billion valuation.

Then there is this quite spot on a Sunday morning without a soul around.

The video was my third battery. First one around the house to make sure the H Plus flies, then two at that location.

Footage was automatic exposure with -1 ev, due to flying into the rising sun and panning back. I have a hard time with manually exposure in those cases. Shot as Original, with my first processing attempts in Davinci Resolve with the C23 format.
For those difficult exposure situations, try turning camera 90° to the sun set your manual exposure to suite and try filming with those settings and see how you get on. Using a locked or manual white balance also help here too.

Chris

Reactions: Rubik
For those difficult exposure situations, try turning camera 90° to the sun set your manual exposure to suite and try filming with those settings and see how you get on. Using a locked or manual white balance also help here too.

Chris
Thank you! I will try that this weekend.

More pyrotechnics - and so stable:

Nice video,
At 44 seconds you transitioned to a spectacular events of fire works, but your music transition was delayed by 3 second, 47th second. if you had made the transition then it would have made your video more spectacular. Keep this in mind when editing.
Other than that it's great.
This is only constructive input. ;)

Nice video,
At 44 seconds you transitioned to a spectacular events of fire works, but your music transition was delayed by 3 second, 47th second. if you had made the transition then it would have made your video more spectacular. Keep this in mind when editing.
I listened to that sequence several times. I don't think there was a break in the music, just a change in tempo/volume within the piece. Agreed, that if that change coincided with the change of scene, it would be more dramatic. Pretty minor detail, though. Only an expert would notice.:rolleyes:

Nice video,
It's not my work, AH-1G: I have never shot a drone video in my life. I'm just a collector of drone footage. This one was the work of Ville Skyscape Luoto. For me, the pyrotechnics standard has been set by Kev Waite and his V90.

Reactions: Rubik
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
daps20