Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

What is needed to Upgrade a Typhoon H to H520

Reaction score
Afternoon All

I have an old Typhoon H with Intel Realsense, a CG0-3+ and a CGO-ET (for H520 :().

I want to use this for photogrammetry, but the available software options seem to be limited to either DJI or Yuneec H520.

They H is working well and i have new batteries for it, so it stands me in several hundred £...

I dont want to spend 1000's on a new drone, if i can just upgrade, say the flight controller board to make it H520 compatible.

Any advice???

If it was an H Plus you could do that, but the Typhoon H and H520 are two totally different systems.

If the CGO-ET you have is working with the Typhoon H it cannot be used on an H520. There is a version for the Typhoon H and one for the H520 each having its own firmware. Flashing firmware from one to the other will brick the camera and require it to be sent to a Yuneec service center to reprogram the Mainboard in the camera.

Reactions: johnnyb57
If it was an H Plus you could do that, but the Typhoon H and H520 are two totally different systems.

If the CGO-ET you have is working with the Typhoon H it cannot be used on an H520. There is a version for the Typhoon H and one for the H520 each having its own firmware. Flashing firmware from one to the other will brick the camera and require it to be sent to a Yuneec service center to reprogram the Mainboard in the camera.
Thanks for the info.
is all the hardware completely different =,e.g motors PDB etc or is it just the flight controller?
the CGO-ET camera i have works on the H, i get the colour graded image on the ST16 but no Pan or Tilt.
Not the end of the world,

The Typhoon H also known here as the H480 uses shorter arms, different motors, different F/C, different Mainboard, and different ground station than the H520 and H Plus.

You might also check with forum member "Pöllö"...(https://yuneecpilots.com/members/pöllö.19352/)....he wrote the Pix4 Thunderbird package that fundamentally changes the way the H operates. It flashes the firmware on the H, and voids your warranty, if you have one....but...it gives the H all new capabilities and it's certainly cheaper than a lot of other upgrades. I believe his version allows for more traditional mission planning that would be the base upon which your photogrammetry efforts are built.

Perhaps Thunderbird can control the thermal camera?

There is a problem using the CGO-ET camera that is for the Typhoon H with the Typhoon H Plus or the Typhoon H520. Nevertheless, you can convert the Typhoon H (480) to either the Typhoon H Plus or the Typhoon H520 with a great deal of modifications. I have attached an overview of the items needed to convert them. Keep in mind the changes are much more extensive than just changing the mainboard. Let me know if you have questions if this is really what you want to do.

Attachments

• H480 to H Plus-H520 conversion parts.pdf
    227.3 KB · Views: 55
  • Wow
Reactions: Steve Carr
I believe there is no way to connect or control the camera after installing Thunderbird. So this would not be a good option.
I believe there is no way to connect or control the camera after installing Thunderbird. So this would not be a good option.
At the moment the Thunderbird can control CGO3+'s pitch (sorry, edit ;)), and output PWM to its respective pin. CGO3+ works also as it is, shoot photos, videos, everything is there expect the modes where the camera drives the drone (CCC etc.) as I haven't yet implemented the full serial data link from camera to the drone.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Steve Carr
@Pöllö can add any camera to their project. The problem, from my point of view, is a lack of motivation.
Or lack of cameras and time. ;) Which camera would you like to drive? Would you like to attempt adding it by yourself? Need some help with that? Those RX/TX or PWM pins can be pretty freely mapped to do pretty much anything. The extendability was initially the reason why that project was started, but to be honest, I don't have time to fulfill every expectation... ;-)

Regarding motivation.. at the moment I'm drawing us some spare parts.. ;)

thunderbird_assembly_2021-Nov-23_07-24-53PM-000_CustomizedView13035583720.png

Last edited:
Afternoon All

I have an old Typhoon H with Intel Realsense, a CG0-3+ and a CGO-ET (for H520 :().

I want to use this for photogrammetry, but the available software options seem to be limited to either DJI or Yuneec H520.

They H is working well and i have new batteries for it, so it stands me in several hundred £...

I dont want to spend 1000's on a new drone, if i can just upgrade, say the flight controller board to make it H520 compatible.

Any advice???
..But if you just want to do some photogrammetry with no HW tweaking or additional features, my advice is that just go and fly; the stock TH is surprisingly capable. ;)

This is what I have done with the stock Typhoon:

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval