Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Why the "H" didn't my H land? Advice! :-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Good morning everyone,

First I'm not new to flying drones. I guess it's okay from what I've read to mention 'the others' - so I have/had a Phantom 4 and Phantom 4 Pro+ .... I've always 'flown' them - never used any of the 'intelligent/auto modes'... I figured I should know how to fly it, in case of emergencies or those dreaded 'fly aways' we all hear and read about. So, according to Yuneec I fly in 'angle mode'.

My first impression on getting the H and reading the 'manual' (such as it is) - is that I need this 30' perimeter (did I read 10,000' or something?) around me. Or bad things happen. I'm assuming this is the 'smart mode'....I started to panic before finishing the page as I fly in close proximity to trees, buildings, and any obstacle a drone wants to fly into. And from what I started reading in threads, the H likes nothing more than to fly off in any direction for 26' and slam into whatever is there. Correct me if I'm wrong LOL ....

I do fly in between buildings - close! - and situations, where I'm assuming I should never use Smart Mode. I'm beginning to wonder what is so Smart about smart mode and when do people use it? (in my neighborhood and where I fly a lot, there is NO way I can have a 30' perimeter clear around me, or buildings with that 100' (what was that again?) - My P4 and Pr4 Pro have NO problem taking off at my feet, taking it up and around telephone poles and lights and wires, etc, or back coming down. That 30' perimeter scares me. Or did the manual scare me?

So, finally the weather cleared enough for a short flight. I went up about 50' or so to try out the 'panorama' feature (this camera's abilities are what made me want this - so I could have more control - as for me, my drone is a 'flying camera'...everything went well until landing. I brought it down slow, and as it got closer to the ground it started hopping about. left. right. bounce.bounce.bounce. and then wanted to head north east to a row of dense bushes - you guessed it - about 25' away - I knew it wanted to slam into them. I couldn't stop the props.
I tried to chase it, got near it, when it flipped over and stopped. No broken props, but the gimbal is hanging... I found one of those rubber dampers (correct word?) - one was still attached, the cables to the camera are in tact, yet it is separated - one rubber stopper in place, one missing (there are only 2 right? I've seen many posts with differing opinion on that) - but whatever holds it with those 'pins' (those are there) - I'm missing that. So a repair is in order. Myself? I don't know. First, can you remove the gimbal from the H's body easily? without mucking up anything else? (I should put this in another thread, right?)

Anyways, still trying to figure out the bad landing. With my Phantoms, I usually catch them in the air, as I'm not always on a level surface - or I land them every so slowly and gently they quietly purr til asleep. The H? Heck! What in the world? Yes, angle mode. Should I try to resort to catching it? Or is there some secret handshake I need to learn before Inez (the H's name) - puts herself down?

Gosh, the H seems so complicated to the P's.....

Any advice? Hints? Tips? Stop reading negative posts and read only the happy and contented ones? Is Inez going to be my disobedient youngster now that I have to handle with 'kid' gloves? :) ... Poor Inez. Or poor me.

Help!
I'm afraid of my H!!!!

2lip

Reactions: ChadCloses
Okay - let's see: upper left has rubber bumper and pin in top - lower right has pin - but I found the rubber bumper. Somehow I have to put the bumper (is that the correct word?) into the top hole, do something with the pins (2) that hang down ... I turned the H on, and the camera and gimbal seem to be working fine. Just worried about the dangling wires. I hope the photo shows what is going on.

Thanks!

Attachments

• DSCN1597.JPG
    DSCN1597.JPG
    192.5 KB · Views: 125
If you are so happy with the Phantoms, why in the world did you buy a Typhoon H?
Anyway, kindly give us the serial number and we will try to help you. You can use the same Nikon Coolpix camera. Are you in the USA or Europe?

Last edited by a moderator:
There are 4 rubber dampeners and 2 of those have pins... based on your picture, first remove the upper plate of the gimbal mount
from the Typhoon. if the 2 pins are intact (with the little plastic locks for one side... sorry, can't remember what those are called) and
you have all 4 dampeners (with no tears or other damage), then you can probably repair it.

If all parts are not intact you can get the gimbal mount online for about $10.00... get 2 so you have a spare.

Perhaps your son, Ty is upset that you keep calling him Inez... o_O

Last edited:
Okay - let's see: upper left has rubber bumper and pin in top - lower right has pin - but I found the rubber bumper. Somehow I have to put the bumper (is that the correct word?) into the top hole, do something with the pins (2) that hang down ... I turned the H on, and the camera and gimbal seem to be working fine. Just worried about the dangling wires. I hope the photo shows what is going on.

Thanks!

You have real sense and it was probably on which is why it would not land. You are making way too many assumptions about the H based on others lack of learning it's idiosyncratic behaviors. You need to watch the tutorials that shipped on the provided SD card. Smart mode is for beginners and since you have quad stick time already you don't need to learn to fly so it's always angle mode for you right now. People who are used to the instant gratification of DJI seem to experience your problem when they fly an H. It's a learning curve that's not kind to first time Yuneec users. Fortunately, they have a robust warranty and work with you to help figure out what failed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If that row of bushes was only ~25' away, and the H was flying towards them after the landing attempt, seems to me the H was in Smart mode and was being forced to land at or inside the Smart Circle radius. It also appears the throttle stick was not held down long enough for the H to recognize it was on the ground long enough to put the motors in "neutral". I have a two word description for what happened but I'll refrain. However, I will suggest the user spend a bit more time with the instructions. At least enough to remember what it was he read.

Reactions: biltno
No, Obstacle Avoidance was not on. I got a message that it was 'unavailable'.

Before I got the H I watched practically every Youtube video I could find on the aircraft. And I do so with an open mind. People are going to post about flyaways, crashed drones, and etc. - but also successful flights. I have the videos on the SD card - been watching and absorbing since Christmas when I got it, til just a few days ago when I could finally try it out. No, it's no 'smart mode' for me! And I'm hardly every in an area when I have a 'safe bubble' around me for such maneuvers. Yes, I'm used to my Phantoms being at my heels at beck and call LOL ..
Just a reminder: my first flight out all I did was go up slowly - to eventually 50 feet, played with the camera and came right down -slowly. But it didn't want to land. What is confusing me, is no real sense on, no smart mode, nothing. As soon as it neared the ground about 10" it started dancing as if it was doing the jive. Or better yet - quick step! - and there was no wind. None. Yes, I believe Inez is fussy. :) Thanks for your reply, I appreciate it.

You have real sense and it was probably on which is why it would not land. You are making way too many assumptions about the H based on others lack of learning it's idiosyncratic behaviors. You need to watch the tutorials that shipped on the provided SD card. Smart mode is for beginners and since you have quad stick time already you don't need to learn to fly so it's always angle mode for you right now. People who are used to the instant gratification of DJI seem to experience your problem when they fly an H. It's a learning curve that's not kind to first time Yuneec users. Fortunately, they have a robust warranty and work with you to help figure out what failed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

No, it was NOT in smart mode. If I could disable the switch I would. I was almost-joking about the bushes - the H was bouncing up and down as if to its own music. It IS possible that I let up on the throttle stick a bit as I took off to catch it.

You don't need to refrain from your 'two word description' - I am neither overly sensitive to criticism or unaware of sarcasm (or being sardonic).

Not only do I remember what I read, but I also read and reread threads on 'making a new / better manual' which I believe to be in order. Yuneec is lacking in clarity - not to mention typos on their Youtube videos. Otherwise why would a company need so many tutorials or videos on their product if they were succinct in the first place and clarity would be in the forefront.

I guess thanks for taking the time to (almost) express your opinion.

If that row of bushes was only ~25' away, and the H was flying towards them after the landing attempt, seems to me the H was in Smart mode and was being forced to land at or inside the Smart Circle radius. It also appears the throttle stick was not held down long enough for the H to recognize it was on the ground long enough to put the motors in "neutral". I have a two word description for what happened but I'll refrain. However, I will suggest the user spend a bit more time with the instructions. At least enough to remember what it was he read.

I do believe 'he' is upset over something. Or gender equality in our drone family. Or that 'he', perhaps cannot live up to the meaning of "Inez". :)

I am missing 2 dampeners I guess. I have one installed - didn't fall out - the other one I found. The 2 'pins' hanging down are intact, but not sure what holds them in place (and to what)... Truthfully since it happened I have been nursing my hurt feelings (yes, Inez can hurt my feelings, but insulting posts won't ! lol ) - and have placed 'him' in a time out.

Thanks a lot!
2lip

There are 4 rubber dampeners and 2 of those have pins... based on your picture, first remove the upper plate of the gimbal mount
from the Typhoon. if the 2 pins are intact (with the little plastic locks for one side... sorry, can't remember what those are called) and
you have all 4 dampeners (with no tears or other damage), then you can probably repair it.

If all parts are not intact you can get the gimbal mount online for about $10.00... get 2 so you have a spare.

Perhaps your son, Ty is upset that you keep calling him Inez... o_O
I

I believe in my initial post I wrote I wanted to try the capabilities of the camera (panorama mode) and a few others (with the option of raw files) - for my 'flying camera'. I do love the P's, but I'm mostly shooting videos as there is not enough control over the camera that I would like.

I am in the USA - am I to put the serial # here in the forum???? And why is it needed now? Just wondering. I haven't contacted Yuneec yet - I have been waiting until the 'Christmas/New Year/ Holiday' crowd is off the phone lines :)

2lip

If you are so happy with the Phantoms, why in the world did you buy a Typhoon H?
Anyway, kindly give us the serial number and we will try to help you. You can use the same Nikon Coolpix camera. Are you in the USA or Europe?

No, it was NOT in smart mode. If I could disable the switch I would. I was almost-joking about the bushes - the H was bouncing up and down as if to its own music. It IS possible that I let up on the throttle stick a bit as I took off to catch it.

You don't need to refrain from your 'two word description' - I am neither overly sensitive to criticism or unaware of sarcasm (or being sardonic).

Not only do I remember what I read, but I also read and reread threads on 'making a new / better manual' which I believe to be in order. Yuneec is lacking in clarity - not to mention typos on their Youtube videos. Otherwise why would a company need so many tutorials or videos on their product if they were succinct in the first place and clarity would be in the forefront.

I guess thanks for taking the time to (almost) express your opinion.

I think it's time for an olive branch to make its appearance here. So please let me be the one to offer one to everyone reading this thread.

I think the OP is rightfully concerned about his situation, but is perhaps being a bit too ambitious in his attempt to point the blame solely at the H after his first accident with it given his relative lack of actual experience with a Typhoon. As has been stated recently in this forum by Craig, too often the H gets blamed for crashes when either pilot error or unfamiliarity with the unit and its systems are really to blame, and I thought his estimate of that being 80 percent of all crashes was being conservative.

To the OP, I think you may have underestimated the loyalty folks in this forum have towards their Typhoons. Simply put, if they thought Phantoms were all of that and a bag of chips, too, then they would be owning them and flying them instead of taking their beloved Hs to the skies. So, I'd suggest treading lightly around here with that kind of stuff.

In truth, OP, you would be hard-pressed to find better advice than that which PatR has to offer. I've only been on this forum a few weeks, but I learned fast that when he talks -and a select group of others, too - you're really better off listening. He KNOWS what he's talking about, same as the other gentlemen who have already responded to you. I don't know the man personally, but I have the sense about PatR that unless he's certain about what he has to say he won't be saying it. So, I'd listen to what he and others like him have to say.

The folks on this forum are incredibly helpful and supportive. And if there truly is something wrong with your H, then you've come to the right place to get some valid answers.

Let's hit reset on this thread, reboot our systems, and take another stab at solving your problem. Good luck to you. I know how frustrating it feels when you think you know what the problem/solution is or should be but it still escapes you. Hang in there. An answer is bound to present itself to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow. CC Rider, see what you have done. Nice work...reset, reboot...You are 100% correct...OK (but)...

Tulip is female, according to her info. When she gets around to calling Yuneec, I'm sure she'll be taken care of in a professional way based on facts and not opinions.

From your photo, it looks like the gimbal is not seriously damaged. You can press up on the latch at the front and slide the gimbal mount forward to remove it. To reinstall the dampers, try feeding a string down through the hole in the mount and looping it around the flange on the damper and then pull it up through the hole.

From your photo, it looks like the gimbal is not seriously damaged. You can press up on the latch at the front and slide the gimbal mount forward to remove it. To reinstall the dampers, try feeding a string down through the hole in the mount and looping it around the flange on the damper and then pull it up through the hole.

Dental floss works very well for this... also if you need to pull the last bit of rubber flange through,
a small pair of hemostats is very effective... just be gentle to not tear the dampener.

Reactions: Ennoia
Thank you for your call for placidity. It is quite welcome.

Before my first post I thought long and hard about whether to mention the Phantoms. If I hadn't I would have been (most likely) flagged for a 'newbie' and without flying experience. If I did mention the Phantoms, I knew it would ruffle some feathers (birds are quite sensitive, I know). Still, which would have been better - or worse?

That said, I do have experience flying. I spent months reading and educating myself as much as possible without a physical H in my grubby little mitts. And since our weather has been non compliant, I had little chance for trials - and errors.

It was the landing that perplexed me. I don't feel like I was blaming the H for it. I simply want to know (if at all possible) what might have happened? I did check some forums out before getting the H, but I'm familiar with forums in general, and they can have more debates than our current political atmosphere.
And digression is rampant.

As for the H - I knew I was in angle mode - and on turtle speed. It was when it was within several inches of landing that it developed the heebie jeebies and that's when chaos broke out. It was as if a wind tunnel blew in and tossed it to and fro. But it didn't. But it t just acted as if it had. . It wouldn't even hover.

I watched and rewatched dozens of times a youtube video of a guy landing his drone with his finger slightly hovering over the start/stop button, ready to hit it when the H was just landing. Mine wasn't going to do that. It was not stable, it wobbled as if drunk and staggering. So that's when I become perplexed. Right now I wonder what would have happened if I had hit the start/stop button as it was just inches from the ground - maybe it would have just landed? or tipped over like it did anyway? What does one recommend in a situation like this? Yes, I really want to know! And no, I don't blame the H - it was mentioned it was 'idiosyncratic' - and that I fully understand as I am, as well. I love the shots the H took, and look forward to a complacent relationship with "Inez" - unless like mentioned "Ty" might be a bit upset. So please don't think I am putting preference for the P's over the H - I merely mentioned it as do know how to actually fly a drone with an 'auto mode' guiding it. I've been through the 'disorientation' period a while ago! :)

Believe it or not, I was hoping a 'certain poster' was going to respond as I like the posts I have read of his. (I am assuming he is a 'he' - and yes, I know....... never ***-u-me). :)

But I'm afraid the comment of (to the effect) - a 2 word phrase which was really in want of posting but being withheld with great difficulty - perjorative. And assumptive. But I said to go ahead and say it anyways, as comments from strangers aren't going to crush me - or my spirits. LOL, or send me running to another forum. :) (I'm fully aware the poster is not familiar with my photographic memory and quick ability to memorize immediately what I read - hence! - better manual! Please! :) And yes, I am aware - 'knowing something is not the same as putting it into action'. Somewhere, something went awry, and I'd love to be able to find out why. And I most certainly do want to know if I am at fault - I mean - come on! - I can't crash it every time I go to land! The H is not a 'backup drone' - not trying to jockey a position up front - I WANT it up front and embracing the P's - after all, 6 arms is a MUCH bigger hug! :)

Often times being witty, punny, sarcastic, sardonic or just in jest does not properly convey in a text message. My apologies to all who took the time to read my post and reply to it. It's time one can never get back, and should not be squandered.

That you CC Rider, and the posters for being so generous. And from here on out I promise (no, I swear!) my posts won't be this long every time. I can edit myself - uh... I think LOL

I think it's time for an olive branch to make its appearance here. So please let me be the one to offer one to everyone reading this thread.

I think the OP is rightfully concerned about his situation, but is perhaps being a bit too ambitious in his attempt to point the blame solely at the H after his first accident with it given his relative lack of actual experience with a Typhoon. As has been stated recently in this forum by Craig, too often the H gets blamed for crashes when either pilot error or unfamiliarity with the unit and its systems are really to blame, and I thought his estimate of that being 80 percent of all crashes was being conservative.

To the OP, I think you may have underestimated the loyalty folks in this forum have towards their Typhoons. Simply put, if they thought Phantoms were all of that and a bag of chips, too, then they would be owning them and flying them instead of taking their beloved Hs to the skies. So, I'd suggest treading lightly around here with that kind of stuff.

In truth, OP, you would be hard-pressed to find better advice than that which PatR has to offer. I've only been on this forum a few weeks, but I learned fast that when he talks -and a select group of others, too - you're really better off listening. He KNOWS what he's talking about, same as the other gentlemen who have already responded to you. I don't know the man personally, but I have the sense about PatR that unless he's certain about what he has to say he won't be saying it. So, I'd listen to what he and others like him have to say.

The folks on this forum are incredibly helpful and supportive. And if there truly is something wrong with your H, then you've come to the right place to get some valid answers.

Let's hit reset on this thread, reboot our systems, and take another stab at solving your problem. Good luck to you. I know how frustrating it feels when you think you know what the problem/solution is or should be but it still escapes you. Hang in there. An answer is bound to present itself to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: CC Rider
Hello again!

Yes, Yes, yes. I'm female. And I am going to sterotype myself here. Of course I'm female - after all, look how I can 'drone on and on' on every single topic? :)

over and out!

2lip
(I have rebooted - chocolate works every time)

Wow. CC Rider, see what you have done. Nice work...reset, reboot...You are 100% correct...OK (but)...

Tulip is female, according to her info. When she gets around to calling Yuneec, I'm sure she'll be taken care of in a professional way based on facts and not opinions.

Thank you!

I have dental floss, and I actually have hemostats.

It's just a little more of a concern here as the camera apparatus is expensive to replace - and right now is working good. Just a bit dangling. (now watch me put it back together sideways). Not kidding. :)

Thank you thank you!

Dental floss works very well for this... also if you need to pull the last bit of rubber flange through,
a small pair of hemostats is very effective... just be gentle to not tear the dampener.

Reactions: mcbutler
I'll go with that.

2lip,

Your first post was mighty disparaging of the H while extolling the virtues of your "other branded" products. Some of us have experience with them as well, but not with the level of satisfaction you have. I'm fairly aligned with what Rayray stated when he mentioned staying with what you already have if you are happy with them. We see far too many posts from DJI owners, users, shills in this forum not to be up to our eyebrows fed up with them.

As for why it didn't land and my two word description. I'll start with the latter. "User error" is by far the largest reason for H issues. From operation to firmware updates it's generally the user that did something wrong that caused them problems. That error may have been unwitting, through ignorance, laziness, haste, or just a refusal to follow procedures. No, the manual is not very good but some are trying to put together reference information that is considerably more comprehensive for those that elect to review it. People coming from other systems, especially those that have a lot of time with other systems, myself included, have a tendency to operate the H in a manner similar to what they had been flying before. They will find they can run into problems going that route. I certainly did after spending considerable time with Wookong, APM, Pixhawk, and Vector flight controllers. We have to start fresh and take a little time to learn the differences in the H before jumping to the advanced features. Learn to crawl, then walk, before trying to run. Get the foundations solid before trying to build the roof.

When landing the H we must hold the throttle stick down for a few moments after touchdown before the motors spool down. Failing that, if we immediately let off the throttle after touchdown the system will spin the motors back up to flight speed. If we are not prepared for that we may be holding some amount of yaw, pitch, or roll in the sticks we were not aware of because in our minds we had already quit flying. The condition reminds me of a full scale adage of never quit flying the airplane until it is parked, engine off, and tied down. So if we are inputting anything for the flight controls the H is going to run with that as soon as it leaves the ground. It can be both startling and confusing for the operator. If your H was not in Smart mode that could have been what happened to you.

I can't speak for RealSense as I don't have it. I have OA but have never used it since it has only once that I have had the H in a position to make use of it but using it would have prevented me from getting the shot I was after. Your camera repair looks to be a fairly simple one. If any of the damper balls have been lost they can be easily obtained from either Yuneec or a dealer. I would go with a dealer because they can get things out the door a little faster than Yuneec can. Yuneec has absolutely superb customer service but they have to deal with more people every day than a dealer does. CarolinaDronz or Vertigo would be the direction I would go for small parts if it were mine. If you still have gimbal control and video from the camera the wiring is likely a matter of removing a few small screws from the front of the gimbal arm and stuffing the wires back up into it. If it's worse than that and needs to go back for factory repair, call Yuneec and tell them exactly what happened without any drama or embellishments. If you go that way I think you find they will take **** good care of you.

I too am offering an olive branch but bear in mind I don't care about DJI stuff. Been there, done that. I left another forum because of all the DJI fan boys and don't need that BS here, they have their own forum to play in. In turn I try not to beat on DJI unless and until their ilk tries to start something here. Initially, that's what I thought your first post was all about. I hope I took it the wrong way and I'll move forward on that basis. In any event, once this is straightened out and you get some time on your H I think you'll like it. It is certainly different from what you have been flying but that's not a bad thing. Tools have different applications so I'm certain you'll find applications where the H works better for a job than a Phantom, just as a Phantom will be better for some jobs than the H. I am absolutely certain you'll find the gimbal on the H better than anything you have used yet with a consumer drone.

In closing, welcome to the forum, sorry to learn you had a problem, and hopefully you will be back in the air quickly.

Last edited:
Reactions: CC Rider

OOOPS! My gender mistake, for which I deeply apologize to 2lip for (and I missed that abbreviated name, too, darn it!). Gender mistakes are a REAL big no-no in today's world, so my sincerest apologies to Tulip. But I'm sure you are right: when SHE gets around to calling Yuneec her problems will be solved. Thank you for correcting my gender error so I could apologize to the lady, Rayray.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ludwig