Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Would you buy a H520 today?

Thanks for your reply below using Google translate:

"Hello, what I read about the H520 is incredible. Apparently I caught a Super H520. Because these problems described here, I do not know of my H520. Yes and again Yes, I would buy this drone again. Already because of the possibilities to mount different camera systems. We need the H520 for inspection flights, rescue flights and surveillance flights. We also create with the H520 3D mapping. All in all, we are not only satisfied, but also very satisfied. Many greetings from Switzerland."

I would still like to see some real world examples from the H520 and E50 camera in particular. The ability to photograph a structure from 20 metres distance and crop in and get the detail in particular.
In an ideal world I would like to use the Sony A7Rii for its high resolution and ability to crop. The H920 can mount a A7R but only with 2 person operation.
The E50 needs to give enough detail to use professionally for clients for inspection.
Didn't you make the same request back in March and receive examples? E50 detail image

Hallo, Hier ist ein Bild aus einer Entfernung von 300 Fuß, aufgenommen mit dem E50. Ansonsten kann man unter www.sitrac.ch/drohne noch das 3D-Maping und ein Video sehen, das Video wurde auch mit dem E50 gemacht.

maxresdefault.jpgmaxresdefault.jpg

So you did, apologies I had given up on the 520 and forgotten about those. Thanks for reminding me.
What are your thoughts on the E50 now ?
I think it is a great camera for inspections when close ups are needed for detailed shots.

I think it is a great camera for inspections when close ups are needed for detailed shots.
Im just trying to gauge whether it will have any advantages over the 920+ fully zoomed at 42mm or using the Olympus 45mm lens though I would be more likely to consider it when/if I have a need for photogrammetry as well as inspection work, it certainly seems a relatively inexpensive entry to this field if it can perform.

I use a H520 with an E90 for roof inspections and I find this fine. I can be quite a distance from the roof and still get some good close-ups in edit. It's handy having this distance when the roof is all shapes and you need VLOS. I would definitely by one again.

I use a H520 with an E90 for roof inspections and I find this fine. I can be quite a distance from the roof and still get some good close-ups in edit. It's handy having this distance when the roof is all shapes and you need VLOS. I would definitely by one again.
Thanks, I appreciate your comment

Im just trying to gauge whether it will have any advantages over the 920+ fully zoomed at 42mm or using the Olympus 45mm lens....

The Olympus 45mm would do a better job overall. It lacks the minor shudder experienced with the 14-42 when that is zoomed out, and benefits from the 1” m4/3 sensor and higher megapixel factor. Magnification is pretty much the same as the E-50. The downside is it resides on a much larger platform that makes more noise.

The Olympus 45mm would do a better job overall. It lacks the minor shudder experienced with the 14-42 when that is zoomed out, and benefits from the 1” m4/3 sensor and higher megapixel factor. Magnification is pretty much the same as the E-50. The downside is it resides on a much larger platform that makes more noise.
I ordered the 45mm yesterday, not an expensive lens so worth a try. I have been experiencing the shudder you speak of at the 42mm end, not sure if the prop balancing will help with that.
I was also suffering a little at 42mm with focus, it was a fairly windy day and the aircraft was drifting a little in the wind. Looking down at a roof this was not a problem as it was not effecting altitude which was steady.
If I like the 45mm then I will get the Olympus 12mm as well, this is supposed to be a great lens for the CGO4, at least that's whet the cameraman I bought the 920 off suggested.
I do wonder how much the Olympus 14-42 would improve over the stock lens

I am torn between picking up a 520 or an H plus!!! Does anyone know if the H plus has NFZ or does it follow the lead of the 520 in that regard!!! I will be doing the majority of my commercial work specifically at a local airport and have already obtained special permission from the airport manager. I want to make sure the H plus will operate there. And also can the H plus software be upgraded to perform all the commercial operations that the 520 can?

I am torn between picking up a 520 or an H plus!!! Does anyone know if the H plus has NFZ or does it follow the lead of the 520 in that regard!!! I will be doing the majority of my commercial work specifically at a local airport and have already obtained special permission from the airport manager. I want to make sure the H plus will operate there. And also can the H plus software be upgraded to perform all the commercial operations that the 520 can?

You need the 520 then. H Plus is locked to NFZ for a radius of 5 miles and there are no plans for Yuneec to release unlocked firmware.
520 will fly wherever you want it to

There will be a possibility to disable the NFZ in H PLUS but it will not be for free, unfortunately.

There will be a possibility to disable the NFZ in H PLUS but it will not be for free, unfortunately.

What makes you say it won’t be free? If Yuneec charge to unlock it will be another nail in their coffin.
DJI don’t charge to unlock on site so why would Yuneec?

The cost to unlock might be referring to a requirement to be commercially licensed to enable obtain lifting of NFZ restrictions.

OnTheRopes,

Propeller balancing will not eliminate all of the 42mm shimmer with the 920+. There’s also an ESC timing issue to contend with. I’ve tried balancing the gimbal at a 42mm focal length with little to show for the effort. Evidently the vibration cancelling software is not up to dealing with maximum zoom. Still photos work out fine at full zoom, shoot several for each view to assure capturing a clear photo, but video needs post stabilization.

Just wondering really if I should consider one. Given all the issues.
I am in need of a good drone for structural inspection, so I need a decent focal length (E50 I suppose) for inspection work. I also want to be able to do photogrammetry (E90 I suppose)
Obviously geo tagging and automated mapping routes etc.
I am aware of some of the shortcomings but to save me trawling through months of posts, those of you who own a H520 in particular, but any valid opinion welcome if you wanted to do the above would you buy a H520 today, or if not why not and what alternative would you go for?
I own an H and a H920 but neither are really suitable for what I wish to do (fully)

Six months ago I would tell you to save your lucre and buy something else, anything else, but not now.

I had developed a hatred for my 520 and just couldn't get on with it. I was so pissed off with the fact that other companies had features that were promised to us but didn't materialise, so I was going to send it back under UK consumer law as not fit for purpose.

I had reverted to using my Solo 3DR for any work that came in as I knew what it could do and it was simple to program, then I had an issue with the 3DR. I had work booked in so had to revert to the 520 and then I embarked on a very steep learning curve, the upshot of which was that I learnt to fly a drone correctly. I no longer had to rely on one that has programmes for people that can't fly!

No disrespect to 3DR but you could give a 5 y/o one of these and they would be good with it.

So yes, I would buy one now, read my post about my crafts failure and Yuneecs response.

Last edited:
Six months ago I would tell you to save your lucre and buy something else, anything else, but not now.

I had developed a hatred for my 520 and just couldn't get on with it. I was so pissed off with the fact that other companies had features that were promised to us but didn't materialise, so I was going to send it back under UK consumer law as not fit for purpose.

I had reverted to using my Solo 3DR for any work that came in as I knew what it could do and it was simple to program, then I had an issue with the 3DR. I had work booked in so had to revert to the 520 and then I embarked on a very steep learning curve, the upshot of which was that I learnt to fly a drone correctly. I no longer had to rely on one that has programmes for people that can't fly!

No disrespect to 3DR but you could give a 5 y/o one of these and they would be good with it.

So yes, I would buy one now, read my post about my crafts failure and Yuneecs response.

Link to post?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DHYradio