Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Yuneec's Typhoon H support is dead

I plan on purchasing the H+.:D I to was skeptical, but look at it this way technology moves fast and as long as my H flies that all that counts for now.
I have a couple discontinued planes, there may be a couple parts floating on ebay, but it flies, just need a prop LOL.... Its the Archer 2, great plane it is, and the Typhoon will be the same, as long as parts are available, Im fine. I wont be buying a H+, Im waiting to see what Autel Evo can really do. One thing is certain for me in this industry..I will always give a drone a shot

The H+ intrigues me but if it get one it will be a 2018 purchase.

I have Fuji mirrorless cameras and lenses and they update their firmware for both. The camera firmware updates not only provide bug fixes they also add a lot of features 3-4 times/year. They have endeared themselves to their customer base. The firmware updates don’t stop when a new camera replaces yours either.

I mention this because I will wait on the H+ to prove it’s a stable platform. In my eyes they aren’t at the same level as Fuji with firmware (yet?).

and.. my TH480 flies well so I’m not compelled to jump to the H+ before it makes sense for me.

P.S. cameras don’t fall from the sky when something is amiss :)

I bought my H on Friday and grabbed one off of eBay for the spare parts on Saturday. Not that I was anticipating need parts to repair crash damage, but just in case parts supply started to dry up.

I doubt there will be an H parts shortage for quite some time to come. As parts are still maintained for the Q-500 I'll presume the same support timeline will be applicable to the H-480.

By now it should be clear to everyone that Yuneec is no longer supporting the Typhoon H with firmware updates.
From messages on this board they are also apparently no longer supporting firmware updates for the 520.

It appears Yuneec's marketing strategy is to sell and support a drone model for a year or two, then stop supporting it in the hope that the mark (the customer) will buy a later model at an exorbitant markup.

When this becomes widely known by potential buyers, no one will be buying Yuneec drones and owners of yuneec drones will find there's no buyers to take then off their hands.

I'm a bit cross about this. The expected firmware update for the H520 is a few weeks late - that's not the same as 'no longer supported'. The rumours and other nonsense going on around the forums are very damaging - and whilst Yuneec have to take some blame for not communicating better, it doesn't help at all to make stuff up.

Secondly - as others have pointed out - buy a drone for what you know it does. That means, don't buy what the hype tells you some future drone might be like, and once it's out, there's nothing wrong with buying an older drone that does the job you need. The Typhoon H firmware is stable, well tested and pretty complete and it remains one of the best consumer air frames you can fly.

I'm a bit cross about this. The expected firmware update for the H520 is a few weeks late - that's not the same as 'no longer supported'. The rumours and other nonsense going on around the forums are very damaging - and whilst Yuneec have to take some blame for not communicating better, it doesn't help at all to make stuff up.

Secondly - as others have pointed out - buy a drone for what you know it does. That means, don't buy what the hype tells you some future drone might be like, and once it's out, there's nothing wrong with buying an older drone that does the job you need. The Typhoon H firmware is stable, well tested and pretty complete and it remains one of the best consumer air frames you can fly.

I agree, gossip and assumptions are not helpful.

There are those types that have to have the newest, latest, greatest gizmo just for the status symbol. I prefer to hang back and let the bugs get worked out before I invest my money. I studied the drone market place for three months before I bought my "H" and felt sure it was the right one for me. I have not been disappointed so far and satisfied with the performance. The thing that sold me on the "H" was the five motor mode. I was flying at a park and there were other brands in the air and one aircraft tossed a prop and kissed the dirt.

Reactions: tcwhite
There are those types that have to have the newest, latest, greatest gizmo just for the status symbol. I prefer to hang back and let the bugs get worked out before I invest my money. I studied the drone market place for three months before I bought my "H" and felt sure it was the right one for me. I have not been disappointed so far and satisfied with the performance. The thing that sold me on the "H" was the five motor mode. I was flying at a park and there were other brands in the air and one aircraft tossed a prop and kissed the dirt.

I understand what you are saying. I have been laying low for 3 years watching Yuneec's progress. I figured I would by-pass the Q500 entirely, glad I did. I am now ready to jump right in with both feet. I am glad I got an H Pro for $799 last month, so if I pay top dollar for the H Plus I figure it will average out.

Reactions: ThunderChicken
True and the commitment means a big dose of frustration, walk away then come back another day. Learning to think is not a free gift.

True, and it’s the only thing a college degree says the recipient has earned. The ability to learn.

A college degree should also provide some critical thinking skills or the tuition wasn’t worth it.

Reactions: PatR
The most interesting thing will be how much the 20MP 1” sensor will cost if sold separately for TH480s.
Interesting thought, how much should the Sony 1 inch sensor should cost? Less than six months ago, I purchased a Sony Pro model video camera with the one inch sensor, when we consider all of the controls and features and benefits of that camera, why should a new model Yuneec camera, with the one inch sensor and limited features be at same price of 1299 USD Sony video camera?

Could it be we have the critical thinking with no degree?

Or has Yuneec joined a cleptocracy of greed?

Last edited:
Interesting thought, how much should the Sony 1 inch sensor should cost? Less than six months ago, I purchased a Sony Pro model video camera with the one inch sensor, when we consider all of the controls and features and benefits of that camera, why should a new model Yuneec camera, with the one inch sensor and limited features be at same price of 1299 USD Sony video camera?

Could it be we have the critical thinking with no degree?

Or has Yuneec joined a cleptocracy of greed?

Did your Sony Pro come with a 360 degree precision gimbal and remote link with a 1 mile range? How many of them were sold to cover the cost of development? Just the compliance testing for the C23 will have cost up to half a million dollars.

Reactions: Ty Pilot
Did your Sony Pro come with a 360 degree precision gimbal and remote link with a 1 mile range? How many of them were sold to cover the cost of development? Just the compliance testing for the C23 will have cost up to half a million dollars.
Laughing, of course not, I always wait until all those costs to market are covered by other buyers. Still enjoying with chuckles your blows.

No, it did not come with a remote one mile link, but it did come with a Stetoff hydoliver, revossable signal amplifier, amazing new technology.

As far as how many units were sold and the compliance costs, all that stuff is held in secret by the Sony corporation, they will never tell, all their development costs are totaled and flow to the bottom line in the annual shareholder report. Sometimes a new product wins and sometimes it fails. However the one inch sensor will be a huge winner, and ultimately the production costs will allow the sensor price to float lower and lower.

Last edited:
Laughing, of course not, I always wait until all those costs to market are covered by other buyers. Still enjoying with chuckles your blows.

No blows, just pointing out that there are a few reasons why a camera with the same sensor might have a very different price. :)

I've got half a mind to buy an extra H Pro at these prices. It does suck if they abandon it though. How about releasing the SDK so we can create our own firmware updates???

A college degree should also provide some critical thinking skills...<snip>
Not necessarily. Unfortunately.
In the late 1990's I was working as a statistician in the offices or a major mail order company in the U.K. They put a graduate in the office and he sat at a desk directly opposite me. There I was, busy with spreadsheets and such on my computer when I noticed that he was blankly looking at his screen with a puzzled look about him. I asked him what the problem was and he promptly asked me how to turn on his computer!

Reactions: ThunderChicken

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hendrtiz