Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

19m height limit??? WHY?

Reaction score
I have adjusted the GUI, to no avail. I am new to Typhoon H, and cant figure out how why it wont fly past 19 meters. Any ideas???

How close are you to a towered airport?

How close are you to a towered airport?
I am about 1.5 miles from Phoenix Sky Harbor International. I did get Yuneec to send me a new license key to bypass no fly zones, before my motors would not even start. Now with the no fly zones bypass I stuck at 19 meters, but there are electric poles new by much taller.. help please. Thank you.

Sounds like you have an amateur level waiver. The amateur waiver does not completely remove NFZ restrictions when within a mile or so of a qualifying airport. It will allow flight but limit altitude, as yours is doing. We should presume you did not give Yuneec a copy of a 107 certificate when you applied for the waiver?

Sounds like you have an amateur level waiver. The amateur waiver does not completely remove NFZ restrictions when within a mile or so of a qualifying airport. It will allow flight but limit altitude, as yours is doing. We should presume you did not give Yuneec a copy of a 107 certificate when you applied for the waiver?
No I did not send my 107 to them. That makes more sense.

They have two levels of waivers, unlimited removal for trained, licensed commercial operators, and one with partial removal for amateurs. As a commercial waiver requires a copy of the operators FAA certificate Yuneec has reasonable assurance the individual applying for the waiver is cognizant of airspace rules and how to determine a safe distance from an airport. There is no such assurance with an amateur and simply checking a box saying “I agree” would likely not hold up in a legal proceeding involving an amateur operator. Sure, it’s a CYA thing but many have demonstrated they don’t believe rules apply to them and act accordingly. They can obtain a waiver to unlock the software and proceed to ignore any and all regulations. So Yuneec makes sure that if the chit hits the legal fan the detritus will impact the operator, not them.

For those that don't possess an understanding of an airport traffic area and what takes place there, the airport environment is a high stress and workload place for full scale pilots. They are busy controlling RPM and airspeed, lowering gear, descending, watching for other traffic, responding to terse and abbreviated instructions from the tower, while trying to keep themselves alive by performing a stabilized approach and a safe landing. An arriving pilot may have been told something like, cleared to land, follow the aircraft 1/2 mile ahead on 1 mile final or turn base immediately after passing the (insert aircraft). or similar. Departures can be just as busy, especially in a passenger carrier environment. ATC is often doing all they can to get planes on and off the runway every 60 seconds, and sometimes less!

Neither pilots or the people that live near an airport need or want someone with a toy aircraft putting it in the air in front of a fast moving descending or ascending manned aircraft in a congested and busy environment. The picture an irresponsible toy aircraft operator obtains could well end up recording the last few seconds of people’s lives.

Review a terminal area chart for Sky Harbor. I believe it is Class B airspace with significant altitude restrictions. Although an amateur is required to notify the airport authority of their intent to fly, ATC can prohibit flight if they consider it unsafe. Lacking notification of the airport or an FAA waiver for the time and location of flight, the flight is illegal and the penalties for operating in some areas are significant. Even amateurs are subject to the FAA’s careless and reckless operation of an aircraft rule.

Last edited:
Reactions: Racepro60

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval