Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Battery adapter for the Typhoon-H on the way

Thats is awesome Ralphy. I need to get me a 3d printer.

Thanks, I built this one myself. It was a difficult and I learned a lot about the technology through forums. These sell for like 300 bucks as a kit. You just need a lot of time a patience to troubleshoot and calibrate everything.

Thanks, I built this one myself. It was a difficult and I learned a lot about the technology through forums. These sell for like 300 bucks as a kit. You just need a lot of time a patience to troubleshoot and calibrate everything.

I bet its a lot of work. I have a friend that has one at work that he makes models from. He says that its tedius work, so i bet it is alot of trial and error and time for you to do it. But it is looking great!

Nice raphy looks good! Waht kind of battery do you have available to test?

Andy

Reactions: Ralphy
so here is my progress..
I will print it on Monday in my office and see how it works.
Its designed so normal dean connectors can be glued into the slots (of course on the right side only one pin is used but it is easier to buy stock dean connectors and but them in then build custom pins....)
Any suggestions???

typhoonH_deans_01.PNG

typhoonH_deans_02.PNG

Andy

so here is my progress..
Its designed so normal dean connectors can be glued into the slots (of course on the right side only one pin is used but it is easier to buy stock dean connectors and but them in then build custom pins....)
Any suggestions???

typhoonH_deans_01.PNG

typhoonH_deans_02.PNG

Andy
That looks good remember to add something in that allows the pack to stay secured. I am planning on splitting the t dean connector with a blade and just inserting two individual terminals. You could probably save some print time by making both sides hollow. Remember the bay is only 50mm wide and some lipos are 50mm. Nice work overall. What's the quantity of material and print times on your design. I used up 50' of pla and 5.5 hrs of print time.

Cool design dude!

Nice raphy looks good! Waht kind of battery do you have available to test?

Andy

Andy, I'm new to this and I don't have a lipo to test. That's why I wanted the members input on the best ones so I can design something suitable for a wide range of options. I can't dish out 60 bucks on a lipo now, but hopefully if sales on this thing take off I can get several batteries to test. I need to buy more 3d printing plastic to continue the prototypes. I feel I'm in the right track thanks to you guys. If anyone wants to donate a lipo for a couple trays let me know.

so here is my progress..
Any suggestions???

typhoonH_deans_01.PNG

typhoonH_deans_02.PNG

Andy
Excellent work, Just a thought....The cables that are running just behind the angled face of the housing seem to have very little dimensional tolerance.
In mine I am not sure to be concerned or not, if its possible that the stock battery is touching them or not and if there is a risk of them being crushed.
You can see in my photo it looks like they may have been designed to sit on either side of the plastic upright. Maybe not?
I wonder if others are seated like mine?
Either way what would you think to make a small cutout in this area to allow for some leeway in this area?

I like your idea for the weight saving cutouts on the sidewall, I imagine this would also be ok to do on the top and bottom as the rigidness will be supported by the battery, just a thought..DSC_0031.jpg

Last edited:
Some notes on the H Center of Gravity.
With everything prepped for flight, If you place the left and right motor arms on some dowels and support it off the ground. the landing gear are 100% parallel to the ground.
if I moved the stock battery 2mm to the rear (like I was removing it) the H starts to take on a rearward list. I would have to think that balance will be a critical consideration. There is some room inside the H battery bay near the connector to add some weight, and it is forward of the CG.

There is room inside the battery bay near the connector to rig up some sort of locking device. I was just thinking a removable pin, but it would require drilling a precision hole into the H.
If you go with a bale idea, you could use different screws on the landing gear legs and attach it there. A piece of velcro across the back may be the best option.

For total weight consideration, maybe reduce the material in your printed battery pack to less then 100% length and use shrink wrap. You could just use a strip of material full length to provide support when removing the pack. I do not have a scale here to see how much a piece of the quality shrink wrap weighs.
I applaud everyone's effort to come up with a better alternative to the Yuneec batteries..

yes in an ideal world it should be balanced but you have a flight controller to keep it level remember.

if you fly outdoors you are fighting a wind so this is no different so don't worry about it if it is only slightly off. i.e 2 motors will just spin a bit faster to keep the heavy side/side into wind level.

update on battery voltage-

Flight time 18 mins of hovering at 650ft above sea level with 10mph winds.
ST 16 reported 14.3v warning and i landed immediately.
As soon as landed ST 16 voltage showed 14.6v so battery did recover.
pulled lipo out and used my lipo meter, each cell was 3.68v less than 30 seconds after landing....so the st16 is accurate enough.
my lipo meter is showing 15% left in the battery which is about right.

edit- battery charged and took 5595mah.

this means it uses 18.66 amps average in the above flight conditions.

Last edited:
Some notes on the H Center of Gravity.
With everything prepped for flight, If you place the left and right motor arms on some dowels and support it off the ground. the landing gear are 100% parallel to the ground.
if I moved the stock battery 2mm to the rear (like I was removing it) the H starts to take on a rearward list. I would have to think that balance will be a critical consideration. There is some room inside the H battery bay near the connector to add some weight, and it is forward of the CG.

There is room inside the battery bay near the connector to rig up some sort of locking device. I was just thinking a removable pin, but it would require drilling a precision hole into the H.
If you go with a bale idea, you could use different screws on the landing gear legs and attach it there. A piece of velcro across the back may be the best option.

For total weight consideration, maybe reduce the material in your printed battery pack to less then 100% length and use shrink wrap. You could just use a strip of material full length to provide support when removing the pack. I do not have a scale here to see how much a piece of the quality shrink wrap weighs.
I applaud everyone's effort to come up with a better alternative to the Yuneec batteries..

Wow seems that the weight balance is delicate, yesterday I saw a video on YouTube....somewhere indoors in Asia. The guy soldered new battery wires into the main board and shoved a battery in there sticking out the back about an inch and it flew level for 18 min. I think the copter might counterbalance the issue through the thrust to the rear motors, it might not be an ideal solution.

Wow seems that the weight balance is delicate, yesterday I saw a video on YouTube....somewhere indoors in Asia. The guy soldered new battery wires into the main board and shoved a battery in there sticking out the back about an inch and it flew level for 18 min. I think the copter might counterbalance the issue through the thrust to the rear motors, it might not be an ideal solution.

Especially if your only getting 18 minutes of fly time out of a larger battery. I would think that the object to this project is to produce a cost effective alternative that atleast maintains the same flight time as the stock battery, longer if its that large.

20160625_125926.jpg
Especially if your only getting 18 minutes of fly time out of a larger battery. I would think that the object to this project is to produce a cost effective alternative that atleast maintains the same flight time as the stock battery, longer if its that large.

It was a crappy battery, I'm sure we will produce something worthy of improving the current design. There are a lot of knowledgeable people on here working together. Next week I should have a prototype ready that fits and locks, and I'm willing to send it out to someone with a decent battery to test. I think the speedbump is too big!

as per my above post....18 mins of hovering equates to 5600mah used so keep that in mind when looking at other batts.

as per my above post....18 mins of hovering equates to 5600mah used so keep that in mind when looking at other batts.

Sweet so the factory battery isn't underrated as much as we thought. With the 6600mah it should put it at 16% greater capacity with approx 3 more min of flight time.

Reactions: Hunter_Michael
On a 2.47 kg quadcopter, the voltage curve looks like this for the 6.6 graphene battery:
7CABi3w.png

At ~14.25v, you should seriously consider being on the ground or close to it. Graphene's behave differently than standard LiPo's. Note the steep decline at the end; just about 3.5v is as far as you should push it, then it will drop very quickly. I pushed it to the limit on this flight to test what it can do. One should also note the small voltage drop and recovery. ~.2-3v vs what, .5-.6+ for the factory battery which I don't consider that great.

This particular flight as I recall was constant figure 8's mostly in Loiter mode @ ~10-13 mph (while flying figure 8), no hovering resulting in 22 min. in the air not counting the dropoff in voltage at the end. Being 500-600g lighter, the H should see considerable gains in flight time.

For those relying heavily on eCalc, I don't trust it for much these days. I wrote a post about it at RCG earlier last year. The Throttle [Log] is so far off it isn't funny. So is the estimated flight times. Whatever they've been doing has screwed up its usefulness.

According to eCalc, @hover the 2.47kg quadcopter running KDE 2814XF-515 motors and 12x5.5" APC MR props should be hovering at 66% throttle (log) and 73% (linear). Here is the actual: .4=40%
QegETiH.png

Current draw should be 5.87A per motor (23.58A total) according to eCalc @hover. Actual non-stop cruising speed avg 9 mph is 16.84A avg or 4.21A per motor :
2NjKs1h.png

Avg speed:
HHIAo6r.png

kxAiMJ4.png

The point is, I don't have any reason to trust eCalc, so will not use it to estimate flight times for the H even if I did know what motors are used.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval