Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Battery warning on fully charged battery, when "hammering it"

Reaction score
Hi guys

I get a "low battery, reduce height to...." when I´m "hammering" my Typhoon H Proff., even on a fully charged battery....is that normal.
Yes I know, I shouldn´t be "hammering"....but it´s great fun....

Anyone, should I be worried for the integrity of the batterys og is it just normal ??

best regards

My battery voltage drops quickly when doing a max climb. Then the voltage rebounds in hover or when I descend. Seems to be more noticeable in cold weather.

What happens to the voltage when you back off on the throttle? Does it bounce back up?
If your batteries are cold the voltage will drop like a rock under load, but may still have plenty of capacity. You gotta fly real gentle under those conditions.

If your battery is fairly old there could be changes in the interior of the battery. The internal resistance of the cells could be increasing. The old NiCad batteries would get extremely hot after a high discharge cycle. If the battery voltage rebounds quickly after you reduce the high demand I would not worry about it. I have seen poorly designed batteries actually go into thermal runaway and go up in smoke.

Reactions: Graham
Spot on.

Morten, does your charger have an internal-resistance tester?
I don't think they can test them that way. Usually they use peak current for a sustained power draw versus time. In most cases it is referred to as AMP/HOURS.

In most cases it is an extrapolated figure. Batteries that are rated in cranking amps and a reserve capacity most often can't perform to those levels after a few months in service.

I don't think they can test them that way. Usually they use peak current for a sustained power draw versus time. In most cases it is referred to as AMP/HOURS.

For a full-on capacity test, yes; but internal resistance can give you an idea of a battery's health.
There's a good overall battery resource here: A Guide to Understanding LiPo Batteries

Yep. And note the mfr's discharge specs, if they give it. I have a Brand X battery, almost new, that will not hold voltage well under Rabbit mode.

Yep. And note the mfr's discharge specs, if they give it. I have a Brand X battery, almost new, that will not hold voltage well under Rabbit mode.

Hate it when that happens. Much as I hate plunking down full price for a battery, I tend to stick with the brands I know. Fewer surprises that way...

If you think Rabbit is bad, wait until you fly full tilt boogie with GPS turned off. Voltage drops precariously, suggesting the battery is achieving its max C rating under that load. It pops back up when you come off the throttle but if maintained at that level we might consider the possibility of experiencing a "brown out". Although we have the ability to run hard with GPS turned off perhaps it's something we want to limit until we know more about the impact on the batteries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@Morten
Need more information.
Are you getting the low battery warning right after takeoff, or were you flying around a bit before it showed up?
I have noticed that when my voltage gets below 15 volts, I can easily get a low voltage warning when going full throttle. It will stop and the voltage will rebound to a safe level when I back off.
If you are getting this right after take off, then I agree with the others, you may have a bad battery.
Is the battery new, or do you have several charge cycles on it.

unfortunately it does not tell anywhere on that page the answer to my question .
i do not care to know how to calculate the IR as i would then need to know the amp draw and specs of the typhoon H ..

all i want to know is the questions i asked and this can not be gained from that page
without additional information .

thanks anyway.

Hi guys

I get a "low battery, reduce height to...." when I´m "hammering" my Typhoon H Proff., even on a fully charged battery....is that normal.
Yes I know, I shouldn´t be "hammering"....but it´s great fun....

Anyone, should I be worried for the integrity of the batterys og is it just normal ??

best regards

To answer your question. Under normal conditions a fully charged healthy battery would not do this.

However, as was mentioned, if it is really cold out then a healthy fully charged battery may react that way.

Also if you've been flying for 5 mins in windy conditions at quick speed you may eventually get this warning if flying agaist strong winds at full power or suddenly straight up from a hover.

unfortunately it does not tell anywhere on that page the answer to my question .
i do not care to know how to calculate the IR as i would then need to know the amp draw and specs of the typhoon H ..

all i want to know is the questions i asked and this can not be gained from that page
without additional information .

thanks anyway.
  1. so whats the max IR for the h battery before considering it bad ?
  2. and whats the average IR of a new battery ?
Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but I think your answers are (from that page):
  1. "... beyond 20mΩ per cell, you'll want to start thinking about retiring the battery pack ..."
  2. "... as a general rule, a per cell rating of between 0-6 mΩ is as good as it gets. Between 7 and 12 mΩ is reasonable. 12 to 20 mΩ is where you start to see the signs of aging on a battery ..."
Am I missing something?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but I think your answers are (from that page):
  1. "... beyond 20mΩ per cell, you'll want to start thinking about retiring the battery pack ..."
  2. "... as a general rule, a per cell rating of between 0-6 mΩ is as good as it gets. Between 7 and 12 mΩ is reasonable. 12 to 20 mΩ is where you start to see the signs of aging on a battery ..."
Am I missing something?

correct but it also says

"It's all dependant on your use case and battery. What is great for one battery may be terrible for another."

so i was asking for the typhoon h batteries specifically since the ones giving is not for the typhoon h itself .

correct but it also says
"It's all dependant on your use case and battery. What is great for one battery may be terrible for another."
so i was asking for the typhoon h batteries specifically since the ones giving is not for the typhoon h itself .

Understood.

Given that IR for any battery will change over time, no manufacturer can publish that data for any given battery except on the day it leaves the factory. If you measure the IR on your cells/packs and it's in one of the listed ranges, take appropriate measures. The numbers should hold true for any manufacturer, any cell count, any capacity as long as they're LiPos.

I didn't do the research for the page, so your mileage may vary.
0-6 mΩ is peachy keen
7-12 mΩ is OK
12-20 mΩ time to order new batteries
over 20 mΩ put it on the bench

Reactions: ThunderChicken

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval