Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm getting some pretty terrible footage/stills out of my Typhoon H after the first flight today. I have 1/60 shutter, manual WB, and a Polar Pro ND 16 on the lens. Should I not shoot in the log mode? Is 1/60 shutter too low? Do Polar Pros stink?

I thought it might be vibrations from the copter that is ruining the shot. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Attachments

• YUN00009.jpg
    YUN00009.jpg
    765.6 KB · Views: 92
  • YUN00008.jpg
    YUN00008.jpg
    661.5 KB · Views: 86
shooting in log or raw dng mode dosen't add any sharpening or saturation so the photos can look horrible because they need to be edited. Try a different setting like gorgeous and compare those to see what you think. Also make sure you're taking photos in photo mode not while in video mode because those jpegs are basically a video still image and look like crap :) I'm sure others will post more info for you.

Thanks for the response! Yeah I know raw/log footage needs some editing but it is so blurry that the final edited footage will probably look pretty bad. I can't imagine pulling back a nice looking image from what came out of the raw/log video mode today. What setting do you usually shoot with for video? I'll try gorgeous next... And what shutter speed? I usually shoot 1/60 for 30p on my regular video camera and thought I would keep it for the aerial shots but now I'm not so sure.

Post a sample of an edited pic and video and members can make an assessment. What resolution are you filming in 1080, 4k? 1080/60fps if there's enough light seems to be a popular choice but the final look of what you're going after will dictate your settings. Are you using ND filters to achieve the 2 to 1 shutter to fps ratio?

Maybe the lens in the CGO3+ wasn't properly focused at the factory? Either send the camera back or if you're not worried about voiding the warranty you could take it apart and focus it yourself.

Sorry, just noticed OP stated using ND filters. These cameras are disappointing when you see tiny cell phone cameras taking very good photos/video.

Yeah I'm worried about the camera not being focused. I'm shooting 4K 30p, 1/60 with ND 16. I don't think this camera should be behaving this way. I recently returned a phantom 4 because of the same issue. I will try it on the gorgeous setting and see what happens. Are you guys having issues shooting raw/log video? I will post video shortly.

Maybe the lens in the CGO3+ wasn't properly focused at the factory? Either send the camera back or if you're not worried about voiding the warranty you could take it apart and focus it yourself.

I'm also concerned that it might be the same camera as the Phantom 4 which is crap (had it and returned it). The good thing about the H camera is that it sup posedly is 100mbps.

Those samples are frames from your video, the file size is very small? You can't take full jpegs while in video mode like you would with dji they will look really bad. sorry if you already knew that i'm just trying to help.

Yeah I'm worried about the camera not being focused. I'm shooting 4K 30p, 1/60 with ND 16. I don't think this camera should be behaving this way. I recently returned a phantom 4 because of the same issue. I will try it on the gorgeous setting and see what happens. Are you guys having issues shooting raw/log video? I will post video shortly.

I haven't seen anything of concern with mine. Given that these lens are hand fitted and focused and that they being made under very tight time constraints because of the manufacturing delay, it's reasonable to assume a QC auditor didn't catch it before it went further down the assembly line and out the door.

The video looks exactly the same. I'll post the raw video on YouTube and then and edited version as well so you can see.

Those samples are frames from your video, the file size is very small? You can't take full jpegs while in video mode like you would with dji they will look really bad. sorry if you already knew that i'm just trying to help.

I believe this limitation will be addressed in a future FW release since the sensor in this camera is capable of a lot more than Yuneec is tapping out of it.

Hi,

I'm getting some pretty terrible footage/stills out of my Typhoon H after the first flight today. I have 1/60 shutter, manual WB, and a Polar Pro ND 16 on the lens. Should I not shoot in the log mode? Is 1/60 shutter too low? Do Polar Pros stink?

I thought it might be vibrations from the copter that is ruining the shot. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

As others have mentioned, your settings on the Typhoon H don't account for the blurriness. I just received my Typhoon H back from Yuneec (it was replaced). The camera is blurry on the left side of my video and pictures. Also the left side outer distortion is more than it should be. This tells me that the lens is not properly adjusted. My lens is clean and my tests were done with the lens cover off so as to remove any contamination from a smudged or not-perfect glass lens cover. I've let Yuneec know.

You can try what I tried to be 100% certain. Take the lens cover off. Ensure the actual camera lens is clean and free of all dust or smudges. Place your Typhoon on a table, outside on a sunny day. Set camera on AWB. Face it at at objects that are at least 50 feet away (could be stationary items like houses, cars, trees, etc). Snap a photo, then pan the camera slightly right, snap another photo & carry on over and over until you have about 180 degrees of photos. Have a look at them and see if one or two of the same objects are sharp in all photos. Finally do the same in video but with a slow 360 pan. Everything in the photo should appear in focus no matter where the camera is pointing. If there is any loss of focus, it should occur extremely near the outer edges, but only slightly.

Good luck!

Reactions: Jared
I believe this limitation will be addressed in a future FW release since the sensor in this camera is capable of a lot more than Yuneec is tapping out of it.
No worries, any info is very helpful. I have ten days before I can return to BH

The video looks exactly the same. I'll post the raw video on YouTube and then and edited version as well so you can see.
Yes the video would look exactly the same as these jpegs since they're probably single frames of video. An actual dng would help better determine if the focus is off or just bad camera settings during filming. I get what you're saying though. I had heard reps from CES saying camera was better than P3/ P4 but I have video/photos from both and I'm not convinced. Bo Lorentzen posted this video.

Yeeesh doesn't sound good. I wonder if they will send me a new camera rather than return the whole thing?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wccannabis