Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

camera E90

I am getting a message about "GPS Horizontal Pos Drift" but Im going to guess that will resolve after I recalibrate everything.
The GPS drift messages (there are several that may appear) will go away after a couple of minutes. Seems like it might be waiting on a really solid GPS fix before it will let you fly, but that is only a speculation.

We now have a grand total of one (you) that appears to have successfully recovered from the update problems. Congratulations. I hope flight testing goes well.

I'm from the dark side of the Earth, but probably I'm missing something with the logic of updates at all.

If my device works well, covers all my needs, and does all reasonable tasks, where is the reason to get some risk with a decision to update it? Until the update process goes, I can do something wrong. The update itself can have something wrong. The possibility to lose some hidden feature, which is incidentally removed/resolved in the last update, and so on.
Any of these tells me to avoid doing anything.

But, as I see, a lot of people want to view the "new update" banner and are jumping as a buffalo on a red, without any information about solved known bugs, new known bugs, improvements, what something has written yet in forums as feedback, at least.

Is so difficult to read a week or two and after that to set an informed decision is this yours or probably the next update will be treated again in the same way?

Reactions: vr-pilot
I am getting a message about "GPS Horizontal Pos Drift" but Im going to guess that will resolve after I recalibrate everything.
I'll test it tomorrow and let you know.
It would be good to have a very clear way to reset all the firmware to a certain date. Its very scary when a simple software update can make a piece of working hardware (I use it for work) unusable.
THanks for all your help, seems like a lot of people are having this issue
Hi Tony,

if you do your testflight I would like you to take a look at this thread beforehand:
Problems with H520 OTA-updates of Mid-January 2021? (Fix ahead)

It could be quite possible that you encounter GPS-position-drifts after take off in Angle Mode which only can be controlled by swtching to Manual Mode!
BE CAREFUL: If you keep trying to correct the in-flight GPS-position-drifts (while still in in Angle Mode) for too long, the copter really can get out of control.

The prolem is that the first flight after doing the calibrations migth work and feel fine. But as soon as you restart (turning off and on again) your copter the compass reading could have an offset of approx. 75° to the left as it was the case for me and other useres in Europe.
GPS-positioning/flying needs a correct compass readout for orientation (where is the copter heading to), because otherwise conflicting values of position and orientation will lead to unpredictable flight behaviour while the drone "keeps trying to fly" in Angle Mode (PX4 = Position Mode).
I noticed that after having taken over control in Manual Mode and flying for a while, the compass offset diminishes over time and could even show the correct heading after landing.

Last edited:
If my device works well, covers all my needs, and does all reasonable tasks, where is the reason to get some risk with a decision to update it? Until the update process goes, I can do something wrong. The update itself can have something wrong. The possibility to lose some hidden feature, which is incidentally removed/resolved in the last update, and so on.
Any of these tells me to avoid doing anything.
Hi there,
you are totally right and I actually agree with your point of view. But in the end it is a question of whether to comply or not to aviation law standards.
Here are the few things that the "new" EU 2019/945 has to say about the manufacturer's side obligations concerning firmware and software updates:

EU 2019/945, SECTION 1, Product requirements, Article 4, Requirements
(...) 3. Any updates of software of the products that have already been made available on the market may be made only if such updates do not affect the compliance of the product.

EU 2019/945, PART 10, Contents of the technical documentation
(...) The technical documentation shall, wherever applicable, contain at least the following elements,: (...)
(b) the versions of any software or firmware involved in compliance with the requirements set by this Regulation;

So the obligation to update firmware and software of the UAS actually is not part of the EU 2019/945 (UAS manufacturer side) or even EU 2019/947 (UAS operator or remote pilot side).
The only objectives that are referred to as mandatory updates in EU 2019/947 are "(...) active and updated direct remote identification and geo-awareness systems (...)".

Manufacturers "force" the operators or pilots to read and comply with the manual instructions. So this normally includes updating firmware and software of the "UAV" and the "GCS" (in all the "UAS"). They force to do so in order to be "on the safe side" when it comes to mandatory changes or new features due to (new) laws or (meanwhile) known malfunctions.
EU 2019/947 (UAS operator or remote pilot side) says:

ANNEX, UAS OPERATIONS IN THE ‘OPEN’ AND ‘SPECIFIC’ CATEGORIES, PART A:
(...) UAS operations in subcategory A1 shall comply with all of the following conditions: (...)
(4) be performed by a remote pilot: (a) familiarised with the user's manual provided by the manufacturer of the UAS;
(...)
(...) UAS operations in subcategory A2 shall comply with all of the following conditions: (...)
(2) be performed by a remote pilot who is familiar with the user's manual provided by the manufacturer of the UAS (...)

So as far as I understand the laws,
1) operators and pilots should do what is written in the "manual provided by the manufacture".
2) manufacturer's updates may "not affect the compliance of the product".
3) manufacturers must keep their manuals up to date regarding "the versions of any software or firmware involved in compliance with the requirements."

Last edited:
Hi Tony. The prognosis is not real good on this round of update failures. A couple of guys have tried loading the firmware from SD cards, but no one has had complete recovery. At least two guys have sent their cameras to Yuneec Germany. There is a post on the forum reporting Yuneec Germany will "soon" issue a corrective update, but no deadline date or details was provided.

If you want to try the SD card update version before sending it to a service center, the full guidance, including a link to the firmware, can be found in Attachment 31 (E90/H520 SD Card Firmware Upgrade) of the PDF document attached to "Way To Fix Drones project. If reload of the standard current firmware does not help, we can pursue it a little further.
So it would be safe to say if you havent done the upgrade then dont. Atleast till a fix has been done.

Reactions: Steve Carr
@vr-pilot, I'd like to add just a few words.
1. Manufacturer wants to the owner be familiar with the presented user manual;
2. Manufacturer recommends staying up to date with the firmware, but this is only a recommendation. With the new rules, if mentioned Manufacturer will issue a type certificate, there will be a topic about the licensing and controlling process. In this case, some updates should be with "mandatory" status;
3. Any update should clearly point to the problem, which it solves. If no improvement or your individual machine is not affected by this problem, the status of the update can be as "recommended".

All the people up in messages didn't point any problem, which they have expected to solve with the new firmware. This means they are not familiar with the update process at all.

Sorry to say this, but it better is to know well your machine, to have realistic expectations from it, and so on. At least, the next update can affect the maneuverability of the copter, probably it will kill all improvements made by hands with the manufacturer's tools (I mean channel settings in ST16) and more and more. Who is ready to learn itself to fly again after every new update, if almost all here say they use machines for work?

temps to low to fly at my location my 1st gen h520 that's been updated. most likely be first week march. I be in another location that should be much warmer than I am currently at. I will be doing further test runs on the h520e with new h3 batteries that I got in. I should have atleast 3 h3 flight batteries and 2 oem h520e batteries by the date of further testing . I have the new dy5 for the h3 flight batteries and a modified h520e cube that wired for third party charger. waiting on a second h520e oem charging cube to mod over to use on a third party charger. I am now expecting 2 hours to 2.5 hours of back to back flight time before running out of flight batteries to use on the h520e. As of now best place in the usa to get yuneec flight batteries compatible for the two generations of h520's is adorama.com. They do run higher in cost but atleast they are in stock and ships out fast.

Reactions: chascoadmin
All,
Just an update. I updated all the components with the newest updates this morning. Took it out to a job site, programmed a small survey mission on datapilot, to capture an aerial for a client. All the updates installed without any issues, and the bird flew exactly as its supposed to. Its a lot of fun when it works right. Flew it for 12 minutes at 15°F no problem.
One issue, it seems like the update messed with the camera lighting settings.. The images are very dark, but that can be fixed in the program (I'm guessing)
Thanks for the help @WTFDproject

Last edited by a moderator:
Took it out to a job site, programmed a small survey mission on datapilot, to capture an aerial for a client.
Hi,

did you check your EXIF-values for GPS altitude on the imagery? E90, E50, E10T, CGO-ET all have weird WGS-84 hight data after the OTA-update from end of January...

(I read no info about EZ30'S EXIF-Data so far, but should be the same. BTW, yes DataPilot is a very good and versatile tool. The H520 as an UAV itself is also very reliable, unfortunately questionable FW-updates and varying battery qualities diminish the overall good hardware performance. Sad, but true.)

While I didn't specifically check the exif values, I was able to process the project in the ODM software. I didn't use the z values though...was just trying to get a good ortho.
I agree about the Yuneec platform. The rolling shutter gives me fits, and does not process accurately against my survey control. FW issues are a pain.
If I can fly the DJI Phantom 4 on a site I will.

Hello,
I come back to you for my E90 camera story
yuneec checked it and tried it, everything was normal no bug as she did with me , I wait for her to try
on the other hand this morning I went to do a SURVEY mission of normally 7 minutes and 80 photos , (this is not the first time I do SURVEY ) but it was a disaster
-1 the drone this well put in place for its entry into the mission
-2 drone does not move for 30 seconds
-3 each time he goes to the next point the drone waits 30 seconds before leaving to continue his mission
-4 to do my mission I used 2 batteries and I didn’t even manage to complete my 80 photos
normally the drone does not stop when programmed for SURVEY
my mission of 7 minutes 80 photos is transformed to 40 minutes and 30 photo
Anybody have any idea what’s going on?

Hello,
I come back to you for my E90 camera story
yuneec checked it and tried it, everything was normal no bug as she did with me , I wait for her to try
on the other hand this morning I went to do a SURVEY mission of normally 7 minutes and 80 photos , (this is not the first time I do SURVEY ) but it was a disaster
-1 the drone this well put in place for its entry into the mission
-2 drone does not move for 30 seconds
-3 each time he goes to the next point the drone waits 30 seconds before leaving to continue his mission
-4 to do my mission I used 2 batteries and I didn’t even manage to complete my 80 photos
normally the drone does not stop when programmed for SURVEY
my mission of 7 minutes 80 photos is transformed to 40 minutes and 30 photo
Anybody have any idea what’s going on?
That sounds frustrating...
Could it be repetitive connection losses?
I noticed that my H520 had problems with re-entering the survey's tracks when "take images during turnarounds" was disabled or "turnaround distance" was set to 0. The copter had to retry the leg entries several times, altough there was only light or no wind.
Surveys with "take images during turnarounds" enabled and "turnaround distance" set equal to mission speed (m, m/s) worked "normal".

Last edited:
Reactions: DoomMeister
after doing the survey mission, I thought that the drone had taken about thirty photos and on my way home I had to look at what the drone had done
the total surprise!!
when I put the drone back on the road he asked me if I wanted to continue the mission ( normal ) since I had not finished it and I saw that the SURVEY mission is transformed into waypoint
he took 500 photos between 40 and 70 per second
I no longer trust my drone!!!!!

I have a suggestion to test your problems, and to eliminate if it's a problem in the drone itself, or if it's a problem in the data pilot software.
Install the Pix4D Capture software on the St16 controller. I initially used it after I bought the Yuneec, because I use the Pix4D Software suite to process the orthoimages and ground control. The Pix4D capture software is free, and you can find it on google play or at the Pix4D site.
Test it in an open, flat area, at a moderate height. Program both software suites to fly the same area. I would program a fairly "square" area without a lot of odd angles (at least to start with). Set up the flight lines to fly a 90° angles to the perimeter. The Yuneec doesn't seem to do turnarounds well, no matter the settings, and gets confused in turnarounds on the boundaries. I've seen my 520 spin around on the perimeter for minutes before it figures which way to go.
Set both software with same altitudes, overlap and such. Test and compare.
The Pix4D runs a pre-test similar to datapilot, so it may take a few uploads to get it to launch.
Good luck

Hello,
I just got my E90 camera that was at YUNEEC Germany, they controlled it and everything is normal no default at them!
I just did a test at home with my 2 H520 drones
- drone N°1 with camera E90, the camera does not respond too much to my requests and this relaxes and this food of cross after 3 minutes!
- Drone #2 with E90 camera does the same as drone #1
- drone N°1 and N°2 with CGOET camera everything works normally
at YUNEEC ca works and not at home , would it come from the 2 drones? I understand more

Hello,
I don’t know what to do with my E90, at yuneec it works well and at home it doesn’t work (gets crooked and always runs in circles ) I see that there is a manipulation to be done for E90 that vibrates in video its speaks in English and does not see what the person does
someone can help me by describing the steps after copying the file to the SD card and installing it in the camera

I’ve been struggling with my 2 drones for 2 months now after the last update, I feel completely alone in front of his problems. is it possible to remove the last update and reinstall it or another solution before sending it back to yuneec ( I am TIRED!!!!!!!)

I’ve been struggling with my 2 drones for 2 months now after the last update, I feel completely alone in front of his problems. is it possible to remove the last update and reinstall it or another solution before sending it back to yuneec ( I am TIRED!!!!!!!)
@pilot filip,
Je ne dispose pas d'un ensemble complet de versions antérieures aux mises à jour de décembre 2020 et janvier 2021. Je peux assembler un build qui peut fonctionner à partir de versions antérieures, mais avant cela :

1.) Yuneec a sorti une nouvelle version fin janvier qui a résolu les problèmes de beaucoup. L'avez-vous essayé récemment ?

2.) La bonne version de fin janvier est disponible sur "UpDatePilot" si vous préférez utiliser la méthode sur internet.

3.) La nouvelle version est également disponible en utilisant des cartes SD. Le document PDF ci-joint fournit des instructions détaillées et un lien vers le micrologiciel nécessaire. Veuillez noter que le firmware pour décembre 2020 et le firmware pour la fin janvier 2021 sont tous deux dans le répertoire. Tout ceci est en anglais, et peut être difficile à traduire à partir d'un document PDF. Veuillez nous faire savoir si vous avez besoin d'aide pour la traduction.

Traduit avec www.DeepL.com/Translator (version gratuite)

@pilot filip,
I do not have a complete set of any versions prior to the problem updates of December 2020 and January of 2021. I can assemble a build that may work from earlier versions, but before we do that:
1.) Yuneec issued a new release in LATE January that resolved the issues for many. Have you tried recently?
2.) The good version from late January is available on "UpDatePilot" if you prefer to use the method over the internet.
3.) The good version is also available using SD cards. The attached PDF document provides detailed instructions and a link to the needed firmware. Please note both the December 2020 firmware and the late January 2021 firmware are in the repository. All of this is in English, and may be hard to translate from a PDF document. Please let us know if you need help with the translation.

Attachments

• H520 SD Card Update.pdf
    2.4 MB · Views: 8
Reactions: Mike Irish

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DHYradio