Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

CG03+ DNG - JPG Comparison & Video

Actually, in the raw, unprocessed DNG, the roof is completely blown out - no detail in the visible image, but the detail can be recovered. I was able to bring that back and maintain the lighting in the shadows. I've got a video of the entire process I used to make that photo above coming.

Reactions: Steve Carr
Actually, in the raw, unprocessed DNG, the roof is completely blown out - no detail in the visible image, but the detail can be recovered. I was able to bring that back and maintain the lighting in the shadows. I've got a video of the entire process I used to make that photo above coming.
I'm looking forward to that.

@Rubik It all depends on what the scene is and what your goals for the photo are. If you've got the knowledge then you make a choice based on what you want for results. You're obviously skilled in the use of a digital camera.

These days I often find myself shooting multiple exposures usually 2 EV apart (-2,0,+2) of the scene to be able to process them in what is known as HDR software. HDR is short for high dynamic range. With Photoshop, Lightroom, Photomatix Pro or any of the other ways to process you can capture everything and not have anything blown out. There are artistic judgement and skills involved though.

Here's an example of mine of a scene with a dynamic range that exceeded the capabilities of a 14 bit sensor but where the HDR approach was able to provide a pleasing result.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/SC9K1n8EuyypJLNx1

Reactions: prowavy and Rubik
I have published the video and added it to my first post as well but for any that may not catch it, here is the video I made of the steps to create the DNG/PNG in this thread.
Thanks Ty.
I just tried some of what I learned from your video on a .DNG photo I took back in April of Alki Point Lighthouse in Seattle. This was shot with the pixAero 6mm lens in RAW color setting. I used Cyberlink PhotoDirector 7. It works quite well. Not as many tools as you are using but enough for me. The lens is definitely brighter near the center of the image. Edges and corners suffer. Cropping to 16x9 helped some and so did the vignette correction tool but not enough. Interestingly, the .PNG file was over twice as large as the .DNG and was too big to upload into the forum. So, here's a 3840x2160 resized version of the result:
Alki Lighthouse.png

Very nicely done, Pat. This is a great video series you've embarked on.

P.S. the latest Adobe Camera RAW and Lightroom both have lens profiles built in for the Yuneec that are capable of eliminating the chromatic aberration and also correct for any pin cushion or other visual distortions.

Very nicely done, Pat. This is a great video series you've embarked on.

P.S. the latest Adobe Camera RAW and Lightroom both have lens profiles built in for the Yuneec that are capable of eliminating the chromatic aberration and also correct for any pin cushion or other visual distortions.

Thanks Ron. Thats good to know. I was thinking of getting Lightroom, and the fact that they now have that feature makes it an even easier decision.

Reactions: DronePastor
Also, is there an advantage to posting in PNG vs JPG? I've read the article below but would like to hear you thoughts.
JPEG vs. PNG: When and why to use one format over the other

I know this was directed at Ron, but I would add that I output to PNG whenever I want maximum resolution at the final destination whether it is a client, the web or in the case of these photos - in a video. If you look at my video at 3:33 I cut to a full screen shot of the Untouched DNG. To get that into the video I converted to a PNG and if you notice; I do a slow slide from the bottom of the photo to the top and the motion is seemless. Many times doing this same simple motion with a JPG inside of a video will result in a flickering, why exactly is above my pay-grade ;) but I suppose it has to do with how the transformation from and still image to video format occurs so; I work (in most cases) under the rule that the biggest possible file is carried all the way to the end or final product. Sorta like running with a glass of water, your gonna spill some, so start with a bigger glass and there will be more to drink at the end.

If you look at my video at 3:33 I cut to a full screen shot of the Untouched DNG. To get that into the video I converted to a PNG and if you notice; I do a slow slide from the bottom of the photo to the top and the motion is seemless.
Smooth as silk. I'll try that.

Thanks Ron. Thats good to know. I was thinking of getting Lightroom, and the fact that they now have that feature makes it an even easier decision.

Lightroom is well worth the price of admission for its digital asset management (***) capabilities) alone. I have a couple of hundred thousand photos in management by Lightroom. If you're not you're not familiar with *** I can explain it in an understandable manner if you'd like. Of course Lightroom has many other features as well such as photo editing in a non-destructive manner.

Lightroom and PS are part of an Adobe subscription offering for photography. For me its easily worth the $10/month.
Adobe Creative Cloud Photography plan | Professional photo editing software

P.S. I've been using Lightroom since the first public beta of the first release (over 10 years ago)

Last edited:
Also, is there an advantage to posting in PNG vs JPG? I've read the article below but would like to hear you thoughts.
JPEG vs. PNG: When and why to use one format over the other

For me, I only use PNG for graphics where I need the background cutout (transparent) in Photoshop. It can save tons of time versus masking out a background for logos, text, etc.

For @Ty Pilot use of PNG in video, that's not something I've tried (yet?). My video production is done with Apple Final Cut Pro X 10.4 and I would do what he did with a plugin. Perhaps I'm just lazy but plugins for video production make life easier for me. I'm just a noob though with video.

Reactions: Rubik
Yeah I also do some PNG graphics out of Photoshop for video like the little logo tag but any animated graphics like my main title stuff is all done in After Effects and output with an alpha channel if I need to have a transparent BG.

Reactions: rdonson
I never got into After Effects, Premier Pro, etc. I was pretty much dedicated just to the photography end of the Adobe spectrum.

I didn't really get into video with any serious intent until I got the T H. I tried DaVinci Resolve and was overwhelmed. Then I started with Apple iMovie and when I bumped my head against limitations I moved up to Apple FCP X. I'm still in over my head when it comes to video but thanks to Ripple Training I'm learning. Like most things if you're away from it a while you think "I know how to do that" until you try then you realize those brain cells got moved somewhere and its back to the training videos. ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DHYradio