Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

CGOET Thermal Image Overlay

Reaction score
It's been a year and I am just getting to the CGOET understanding. So far here is what I know.
I will understand this technology...

Is there a setting that will align the thermal image with the RBG for an accurate overlay. See attached...my thermal is of a lower resolution however it does not align with the RBG. I still have to do more testing but I thought I would run it by this forum to see if anyone has a work-around.
Overlay133.jpg
Your comments are greatly appreciated.

Reactions: Laurentr2008
Is there a setting that will align the thermal image with the RBG for an accurate overlay.
It appears to me the images are matched. The field of view for the two cameras are different so the thermal will always be a smaller area than the low light camera. Did I understand your question correctly?

Reactions: BigAl07
I'm always looking for an easier work flow, but for the time-being have settled on tools suggested by the Typhoon experts in this forum.

I extract the visual and thermal images from the two-track mp4 from the camera using MKVToolnik to produce mkv files.

Then I run both mkv files through VLC's Media -> Convert to make mp4s.

Then I drag both files into Camtasia and put the thermal image on top of the visual with the opacity set to 40% or 50%. Camtasia's GUI makes it easy to size the thermal image to 100% height of the visual so it matches the visual image, leaving the side edges of the visual to the left and right. Making the thermal image several times larger than the 160px makes it right pixelated, but having the low-light visual behind it helps to provide sharper edges.

The thermal image, shot at a very low frame rate like 6 fps, lags behind the low-light image if the Typhoon's panned or follows too fast but it generally lines up OK.

I _wish_ the CGO-ET just put out to mp4s to begin with, but have settled on this and it works OK.

Please, if anybody's got better advice about the CGO-ET for Panthony and me, share it...

I've tried a little bit to combine them in a browser so JavaScript can turn either image on or off and change the opacity while it's playing. It'll be a while before I try again...

Great timing!! I'm about to start testing a similar final product and looking forward to hearing more input.

I'm using PowerDirector 16. I reads the .mkv files with no conversion and also allows resizing, moving and opacity of the thermal image overlay.

1550602855128.png

Reactions: MrEd and BigAl07
Been working on understanding the CGOET camera most of the day...

The camera writes the following to the controller:
1280 x 720 jpg RBG-image (DFOV-90deg)
1280 x 720 mkv RBG-video (DFOV-90deg)
904 x 679 jpg Thermal-image (DFOV-71deg)
160 x 120 mkv Thermal-video (DFOV-71deg)

The camera writes the following to the SD card:
160 x 120 jpeg Thermal-image (DFOV-71deg)
1920 x 1080 jpg RGB-image (DFOV-90deg)
160 x 120 tif uncompressed-image (DFOV-71deg)
1920 x 1080 mp4-video (DFOV-90deg)

I am specifically looking for the scale factor to use in re-sizing the 904 x 679 (4:3) image to match the 1920 x 1080 (16:9) image. I know the distance from the camera to the subject along with the DFOV (Diagonal Field Of View). With this information I can calculate the dimension or size (length x width) of a single pixel in each image in order to find the scale factor. Because of the 16:9 vs 4:3 aspect ratio the WxD is different for the image overlay.

The reason I want this information is to create a preset that can be used to post process each image. If I have a project that contains 100 images I could manually eyeball and stretch the thermal overlay but it would be much faster to batch process all the images letting the computer do the work. I will still need to position each image and even that must be offset because the RBG and Thermal sensors are offset on the camera creating about a 12 pixel offset at 120' AGL.

Following are three images that I took this morning...

This image shows the 904 x 679 overlay on the 1280 x 720 where the scale will have to be reduced to match properly.
2019-02-19_202748.jpg

This next image shows the 904 x 679 manually stretched overlay on the 1920 x 1080 where it's not perfect but works. Notice the dashed lines showing the center offset due to the camera sensor offset.
2019-02-19_202726.jpg

The next image shows the 904 x 679 overlay on 1920 x 1080 unprocessed. Scale up is necessary to match properly.
2019-02-19_193625.jpg

Next is a video of I took this morning showing the 160 x 120 mkv overlay @ 9fps on the 1920 x 1080 mp4 @ 30fps. There is a noticeable frame lag when you run through the video. It starts off fine then the overlay begins to lag and finally almost catches up at the end. I am going to find a way to copy/insert frames into the overlay to better keep time with the higher resolution underlay. If I can find the sweet spot then I will be able to scale up the overlay and reduce the opacity for a matched concurrent view.

Hope I've made a little more sense of where I want to go with this camera. Any and all comments are welcome and appreciated.

Thanks ahead for all of your assistance and advice.

Reactions: arruntus
Thank you sir. You have given me a lot of information. I have a few questions myself.
you’ll have to forgive me I’m net to yuneec and the CGOET. I just took a few pictures for the first time.On the sd card I got the thermal images on jpg but it was so low quality I couldn’t enlarge them to compare because it would distort the image pretty badly.
You said in your post that the camera sends a better quality jpg to the controller. How can I get that image to my MacBook so I can manipulate it a little better?
Thanks

Thank you sir. You have given me a lot of information. I have a few questions myself.
you’ll have to forgive me I’m net to yuneec and the CGOET. I just took a few pictures for the first time.On the sd card I got the thermal images on jpg but it was so low quality I couldn’t enlarge them to compare because it would distort the image pretty badly.
You said in your post that the camera sends a better quality jpg to the controller. How can I get that image to my MacBook so I can manipulate it a little better?
Thanks
As you record each flight data is saved on camera sd card and also to the controller sd card. you access in the same manner.

As you record each flight data is saved on camera sd card and also to the controller sd card. you access in the same manner.
The storage in the ST16 is not on the sd card. It is stored on internal memory. You can access those files with File Manager in the Android menu and copy them to the sd card.

Here are a couple images I got from my thermal camera. Am I doing anything wrong? The first is the low light camera. The second is the thermal image. A lot smaller. The third is a overlaying the two but I have to enlarge the thermal. A lot of distortion. YUN00009.jpegYUN00009.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lahorelaptop