Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Double Photos

Reaction score
Be gentle, as I'm new here in this forum and to the Yuneec family. I don't know all the particulars (just the basics) of my drone, much less this forum and what's protocol, etc. My previous drone experience was with a year of flying a Parrot Bebop2.

Now I have a Typhoon H Plus (loving it more and more) and we (the drone and I ) are slowly but surely getting acquainted.

Question:
I have my camera settings on JPG or PNG (is there just a JPG only choice?) I get two photos each time I take a photo and it's not set on burst either. One photo is usually inferior to the other. It's a nuisance and I'd like to know how to resolve this. Any ideas on what the crappy photo is that I'm getting.? It's usually underexposed and not as well focused.

Thanks in advance.
JT

The JPEG is just bad. The raw file is for post and processing. It seems they optimized the JPEG to look good from the ST gallery. That kind of makes sense for field review on the controller. You need the shoot with both on. Toss the JPEGs once you’ve got the SD card in your computer for capture.

Reactions: PatR
You have the camera set up to save .jpg and .dng photos. If you want to just save .jpg files you can change in photo mode settings.

The .dng photos are preferred by photographers. While they look rather dull, they actually contain more detail than jpg files and will produce outstanding images after editing.

DNG, DNG and your photos will be fantastic after treatment by Photoshop, Illustrator or equivalent

You're just dealing with a setting issue. I don't have a Plus to review the settings but there is a JPG only setting. If you look at page 28 of the attached PDF you will find a depiction of the format settings. Right now you have it set to shoot both JPG and DNG. You mention one of the photos having lower resolution. Funny thing, the photo that appears to have lower resolution will be the DNG, which is in fact much higher in resolution than a JPG. The DNG file is the one you want to use in post processing for high quality images. The JPG will always be of lower quality with the end product but it's quite useful for "snap shot" type pictures.

Attachments

• Typhoon_H_Plus_Manual2.pdf
    6.4 MB · Views: 5
You have the camera set up to save .jpg and .dng photos. If you want to just save .jpg files you can change in photo mode settings.

The .dng photos are preferred by photographers. While they look rather dull, they actually contain more detail than jpg files and will produce outstanding images after editing.

OK, well both replies concur so thanks for educating me. I'll give that a go. Hopefully Adobe Lr (Lightroom) has everything I need to pull the best from it. It's just odd that the jpg looks so good. I can't wait to see what the dng looks like if it's better.

I sympathize with those like Steve Carr and those that are more advanced. I do both JPG and DNG especially with the 360 panoramics. I work with the DNG's in lightroom but I do refer to the JPG's to make sure that my 360's (18 shots) don't begin to fade towards hewes, colors, brightness etc. You can get a great JPG shot(s) but there's more data in the DNG (raw) than the JPG's to work with.

I am one of the odd balls that use my Typhoons for work and also like the Jpeg + DNG for nearly the same reason. If I shoot 20 to 30 pictures of which only three to five are used, I can scan the the Jpegs for the shot and framing I like then, grab the corresponding DNG, and do final edits.

Reactions: thoneter
OK, well both replies concur so thanks for educating me. I'll give that a go. Hopefully Adobe Lr (Lightroom) has everything I need to pull the best from it. It's just odd that the jpg looks so good. I can't wait to see what the dng looks like if it's better.
How closely are you looking? This close?

I use the JPEG + DNG mode, because jpegs are used in small format to create a presentation that I send by mail to my clients, they choose the images they want, then I process the photos selected by the customers.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval