Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Drones and birds

Reaction score
Well, sadly to say my drone is in need of repairs after being brought down by a swallow. The bird dive bombed into it and took off a prop, drone went to 5 prop mode. Started to bring the drone to down from around 50 feet. Then here the swallow comes again and sends it screaming to the ground, destroying the camera, a landing gear and 4 arms and probably motors. Is anyone else having problems with birds? Is there anyone who makes a protected sheild for the props or aluminum props? Any help would be awesome this is the second bird crash ive had. And im not even trying to look at birds!

Swallows can be the worse . I have drawn interest. From vultures . They love to soar over the edge of the lake catching up drafts . If I am up flying the love to come over and check out the new bird .The circle it and then fly off . Sparrows and swallows on the other hand get pretty close but so far no bird hits .

Well, sadly to say my drone is in need of repairs after being brought down by a swallow. The bird dive bombed into it and took off a prop, drone went to 5 prop mode. Started to bring the drone to down from around 50 feet. Then here the swallow comes again and sends it screaming to the ground, destroying the camera, a landing gear and 4 arms and probably motors. Is anyone else having problems with birds? Is there anyone who makes a protected sheild for the props or aluminum props? Any help would be awesome this is the second bird crash ive had. And im not even trying to look at birds!
I had an issue with a bird last Thursday while filming in a valley at the Southern end of the Forest Of Bowland in Lancashire. I had two flights and both of them had to be curtailed because the bird kept buzzing the aircraft and coming pretty **** close.

I don't normally have problems with birds but last Thursday I was in fear of my aircraft crashing because of it.

I turned up at the local water works today for a few flights, but there were so many rooks and ravens roosting about that I decided it wasn't worth the risk, and decamped to another ground.
I was after footage of the tree canopy in the park this time so doing wide circles at about 100 ft, but all the birds there tend to be quite small and timid so they usually scatter before / under me rather than take exception and attack. They are definitely more defensive at this time of year though when they have kids on the go, so it needs to go on the list of things to check before and during our Spring and Summer flights...

Welcome to the dark side of the hobby. Red Tail Hawks are the worse in my opinion. been chased by one myself, Saw another one destroy a friends glider.

I'm with you although where I live its the red shouldered and red tail hawks that have been aggressive towards my H. When they start circling my H for a better look I get the heck out of dodge.

I'm thinking CF props would prevent a second strike unless it was from a second bird.

Large aircraft with large props and high torque motors fare well with birds of all sizes. They have the power and mass to amputate and decapitate. Drones with small props don’t unless the props are made of metal.

Watch out for Ospreys at any time, but be very wary at nesting time. They’ll fly quite a distance to initiate a very forceful attack. If you see one, fly away or land immediately.

There are a number of videos on YouTube of take downs by birds of drones. The most views go to eagles doing it and some where eagles have been trained to do it.

Well sounds like you need a pal with you with a fully loaded paintball marker and as a use to play alot I know the speed of them so don't need a licensed gun holder if your in the UK I normally get seagulls flying about to have a look then usually fly away although last week one was having a look and as I landed my drone 1 was dive bombing me

• Angry
Reactions: AussieCate
I agree with PatR, I had an Osprey several times wanting to get personable with my bird.:eek:

birds are probably the drone's worse enemies, never had one take my typhoon h down but have been attacked by crows, seagulls, finches even , which is pretty crazy a small swallow could of taken down a motir like that they way few ozs if that. Its always good to do a fly around before taking full flight, Especially if you're flying in there nesting area which is never good idea, why ill circle the lz before full flight.

Reactions: AussieCate
Excuse camera footage and abrupt flying... Was attempting to plan a CCC course along railway line to catch the steam trains when a bunch ( 6 to 8 approx ) had other ideas ,even tried shaking them off away from cliff but they just chased after me. you can see the ground shadows of them and also the top of the screen. Unfortunately you cant see them diving at the H...Lucky this time.

Reactions: rdonson
Excuse camera footage and abrupt flying... Was attempting to plan a CCC course along railway line to catch the steam trains when a bunch ( 6 to 8 approx ) had other ideas ,even tried shaking them off away from cliff but they just chased after me. you can see the ground shadows of them and also the top of the screen. Unfortunately you cant see them diving at the H...Lucky this time.

Where was that? I presume somewhere in the U.K. if the cars are anything to go by.

Yes it is and yes im a limey.. its a village in Somerset called Watchet..near Dunster Castle and Minehead.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ploomy