Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Expanding ST16 battery life

Reaction score
Has anyone tried to extend the battery life on their ST16 by using a USB battery pack/power bank? I've tried a couple of times to charge the st16 while operating using the external battery packs. I can get the battery to maintain its current charge but never actually charge. Last time I tried I used an UNO 10000 MaH 2.1A out USB power bank. I was able to run out of flight batteries before I ran out of controller batteries (12 flight batteries). Just seeing if anyone has found a power bank that can charge and run the ST16.

Has anyone tried to extend the battery life on their ST16 by using a USB battery pack/power bank? I've tried a couple of times to charge the st16 while operating using the external battery packs. I can get the battery to maintain its current charge but never actually charge. Last time I tried I used an UNO 10000 MaH 2.1A out USB power bank. I was able to run out of flight batteries before I ran out of controller batteries (12 flight batteries). Just seeing if anyone has found a power bank that can charge and run the ST16.
I think the most you can hope for is just extending the running time while the ST16 is powered on. If it's turned off then you may see some increase in charge.

Hi. after approx 14pb3.png flights the ST16 remains at 94% as it was when I started. I use a 20.000mA powerbank.

What's the voltage of the power bank after that time? The ST-16 battery gas an internal charging circuit so I seriously doubt that it can be charged and in use simultaneously. The power bank is prolly the part providing the juice to the system.

What's the voltage of the power bank after that time? The ST-16 battery gas an internal charging circuit so I seriously doubt that it can be charged and in use simultaneously. The power bank is prolly the part providing the juice to the system.
Hi, I'm sorry I don't know the voltage.

Thanks for the advise. Unfortunately, I can't put the 10,000 MaH, non-oem battery in the controller. Which means I'm stuck just trying to extend out the controller battery with external chargers. Yesterday, I did a tethered flight and had the airframe up until the generator ran out of gas after more than 14 hours. If I didn't have an external power bank, I would have been forced to land to change controller batteries. Yes, I already hear the, "why didn't you plug the ST16s into the generator?" Because the generator was in the middle of a field 700 meters away. Also, switching batteries out on the ST16s would force an RTH/RTL situation, in which depletes the accuracy of my test data set.

Thanks for the advise. Unfortunately, I can't put the 10,000 MaH, non-oem battery in the controller. Which means I'm stuck just trying to extend out the controller battery with external chargers. Yesterday, I did a tethered flight and had the airframe up until the generator ran out of gas after more than 14 hours. If I didn't have an external power bank, I would have been forced to land to change controller batteries. Yes, I already hear the, "why didn't you plug the ST16s into the generator?" Because the generator was in the middle of a field 700 meters away. Also, switching batteries out on the ST16s would force an RTH/RTL situation, in which depletes the accuracy of my test data set.
Hi, Bob520, very, very interesting that you have tested a tethered H! What brand was it and can you pls tell us a bit more of your experience so far. Did you fly a H520 (Bob520?) or H480? Did you have a cable 700m to the generator? Where do you live?

Hi, Bob520, very, very interesting that you have tested a tethered H! What brand was it and can you pls tell us a bit more of your experience so far. Did you fly a H520 (Bob520?) or H480? Did you have a cable 700m to the generator? Where do you live?
The tether is a hoverfly, the generator and ground power station were out in a field 700m away from the controller. I have some plus and minus comments about the tether system. Under OSHA and a few other US laws you can only run 150' of coax battery power from the ground station to the airframe. Anything over 150' requires safety flagging which results in the wind putting to much resistance on the airframe and pulling it in the wind. Tethering works extremely well for flying an airframe in one place for either crowd surveillance or airborne radio repeating (among other things). Also, having more battery power for the ST16s is a must, which is how this thread started. To answer which airframe, I'm just To excited after seeing the H520 at CES and a few other places not to get the airframe. It's looks like it's going to be pretty awesome with the bigger motors, wider arm stance (better stability), higher res cameras, new ST16, flight controller, and controller software package (I believe it's been dubbed DataPilot). Lastly, I live on the west coast.

Sounds like you have a desire to use a product in a manner for which it was never designed, and no amount of adaptation will overcome it. What's needed is a system that uses a formal ground station than can accept an AC to DC power supply. You may have to accept that specialized applications will require more expensive and exotic solutions.

My ST16 is still draining overnight and I can't figure it out. I have to unplug the battery. I may need to buy a couple of those Panasonics.

My ST16 is still draining overnight and I can't figure it out. I have to unplug the battery. I may need to buy a couple of those Panasonics.

Hopefully you have a bad battery. I say hopefully because if not, the ST16 is the culprit. I have a Panasonic due Monday. I'll test it.
However, the 10,000 mAh is what? - only 15% more than the stock 8700? Have to get extra ST16s I spose.
It's only money...:D

Hopefully you have a bad battery. I say hopefully because if not, the ST16 is the culprit. I have a Panasonic due Monday. I'll test it.
However, the 10,000 mAh is what? - only 15% more than the stock 8700? Have to get extra ST16s I spose.
It's only money...:D
That could be it. I put the battery on the charger and it only got to 42% before it said it was overcharged. I put it back into the ST16 and it got up to 85%. But if I remove teh battery it won't sag overnight, only if it's installed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lahorelaptop