Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Fast Charging Typhoon H batteries

Reaction score
Hello All

I am looking to get a better charger for my Typhoon H batteries, replacing the one that comes with the UAS.

Yuneec UK sell this (a fast charger):

Chargers and Batteries : Dual Battery Fast-Charge Station for Typhoon H
http://yuneec.uk/index.php/products.../typhoon-h-battery-charge-adapater-196-detail
However, I have seen other discussions that say that fast charging damages the batteries / shortens their life.

Whats the general consensus - stick to slow charging or is a propriatory charger like this going to be fine?

Thanks folks - Sorry, I know that from my other posts I am going to come across as slightly battery obsessed!!;):D

I prefer the Hitec x2, which is the same charger you show. Use the search function and you shall find your answer. I know this has been discussed several times in the past year.

I use the older version of this (Venom; they also make a 4-port version). You'll need adaptors for however many batteries you want to charge.

Best way to maximize the life of your batteries is to not charge them at all...:D

Unfortunately you'll get as many opinions on charge speed as there are stars in the sky. For me, my own self, and nobody else, I charge at 2C to 3C unless the batteries are warm/hot, then I let 'em cool first. I balance them every 5 cycles or so. Been doing it for years & hundreds of batteries/charge cycles.

Venom batteries have a rated max charge of 3C.

I have a Hitec X2 as well, and don't use the OEM charger anymore.

The Hitec can charge faster than the OEM and it is a balanced charger, which is important for the health and performance of the battery. While the Hitec can charge substantially faster than the OEM charger, I normally don't go over 0.5C, preferring to slowly balance-charge the night before and then storage-charge my four batteries after I return home.

Fast charging is a relative term. Unless the battery manufacturer states to the contrary, most lithium batteries can be safely charged at a rate of 1C. Less also works but takes longer. More than 1C is a personal decision, and can be risky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: GRH and Rayray
No such thing as "Fast Charge" for LIPOS if you want decent life. 6 amps is good, using Balanced charging.
If i am charging 2 5400mah 4s batteries at the same time on a parallel balance board is it safe to charge at 12 amps?

Hello All

I am looking to get a better charger for my Typhoon H batteries, replacing the one that comes with the UAS.

Yuneec UK sell this (a fast charger):

Chargers and Batteries : Dual Battery Fast-Charge Station for Typhoon H
However, I have seen other discussions that say that fast charging damages the batteries / shortens their life.

Whats the general consensus - stick to slow charging or is a propriatory charger like this going to be fine?

Thanks folks - Sorry, I know that from my other posts I am going to come across as slightly battery obsessed!!;):D
I use the DY3 - Product - EV-PEAK and it works perfect for me and it has storage charge as well.

Reactions: rdonson
If all you fly is the typhoon h the DY3 charger is great, For about the same price as the DY3, I have had great luck in using my HT208 8s 420w 20a charger with my typhoon h, my DJI smart batteries and my tiny 700mah parrot swing batteries. Carolina Dronz has a great charger pigtail for the typhoon h. I just ordered a 2nd pigtail along with a parallel balance board and in the future I can add another 2 pigtails so I can charge 4 Typhoon H batteries at 5a simultaneously.

Attachments

• HTRC HT208.png
    HTRC HT208.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 13
If i am charging 2 5400mah 4s batteries at the same time on a parallel balance board is it safe to charge at 12 amps?

Most avoid parallel charge boards as a set up error, mixing battery capacities, and control of charge rates and cell balancing of different batteries at increased amperage can end in disaster.

I just ordered a 2nd pigtail along with a parallel balance board and in the future I can add another 2 pigtails so I can charge 4 Typhoon H batteries at 5a simultaneously.

Only if the charger can output at 20A, which also happens to be the limit of most household circuits in a 100-150a panel...

I don't plan to charge different batteries at the same time, only multiples of the same batteries. I have been using it at 6a for a single battery and it has cut down my charging to under 50min. Progressive RC has advised me on a set up so I can charge 2 of the same batteries at a time. I talked to them for quite a while and trust them. The charge board for the parallel balance board is fuse protected as well and I can also use with a dc power source like a car battery. Beats waiting all day to charge my batteries. If this can charge 2 700mah 1c batteries at 1a I am confident I will be able to charge 2 typhoon h batteries at the same time as well. I will let you know if I have any luck.

Read this article. Parallel LiPo Charging – The Faster & Safer Way To Charge?

Last edited:
GOPR0409.JPG I wanted to share a battery idea I use with my RC LiPo batteries.
GOPR0409.JPG
Do you want to dog your LiPo batteries, I mean, know where your at with them, no more guessing. In this photo You'll see a label I printed on a DYMO label maker. I'm thinking liberal in that maybe I can get 85 charging cycles. Each time I run a battery, I check off the next number. Then recharge the battery.

The tester is a Turnigy multi meter, I use this to read the battery internal starting resistance and notate the reading on the bottom of the label along with the placed into service date. These meters have about seven tests you can use for other things on radio control equipment.

Clever Idea Larry. I have the Turnigy 5 in 1 multi meter, not quite as nice as the one you have but it also will test internal resistance. I just received my parallel charge board and I am now charging 2 batteries in about 1/2 the time it took me to charge 1 on my stock yuneec charger. I am also going to do a test to see what the difference is in flight time when charging at 4.1 volts per cell vs 4.2 . Supposedly you should get 2x the charging cycles out of your lipos when charging at a lower end voltage rate. The Progressive parallel board is nice in that is priced reasonable and you can customize the connectors on the charge board and the balance boards. You can also daisy chain the boards.

Attachments

• CycleLIfeChart.png
    CycleLIfeChart.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 13
Last edited:
View attachment 8673 I wanted to share a battery idea I use with my RC LiPo batteries.
View attachment 8673
Do you want to dog your LiPo batteries, I mean, know where your at with them, no more guessing. In this photo You'll see a label I printed on a DYMO label maker. I'm thinking liberal in that maybe I can get 85 charging cycles. Each time I run a battery, I check off the next number. Then recharge the battery.

The tester is a Turnigy multi meter, I use this to read the battery internal starting resistance and notate the reading on the bottom of the label along with the placed into service date. These meters have about seven tests you can use for other things on radio control equipment.

Hi Larry, Is 18mΩ a combined internal resistane reading of all 4 cells? I got readings of .006Ω cell 1, .003Ω cell 2, .002Ω cell 3 and .006Ω cell 4, on three of my batteries which is a total of 17mΩ. and .005Ω, .003Ω, .002Ω and .004Ω on my forth battery. or a total of 14mΩ for all 4 cells.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval