Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Finally got a PixAero 3.77 replacement lens

Reaction score
Not a new topic by far, but still I wanted to share with you that I finally decided to upgrade to the PixAero 3.77mm lens.

I was a bit reluctant because I had to purchase directly from the manufacturer in Russia (and Mexican postal service leaves a lot to be desired). However, everything went surprisingly well and I received it relatively fast, just a couple of days after the estimated date!

Anyway, I just finished installing it and spent a whole day on the well-known tedious focusing process (which I had to repeate twice because of.. reasons.. :rolleyes:)

I still haven't taken it out to fly to really test it on the field, but already I can tell this was a really good investment.

Here's a couple of stills (taken from 4K 4096x2160 clips) while I was focusing the camera.

Stock lens:
Original.jpg

PixAero 3.77mm

Pixaero2.jpg

Things I'm already loving:

• Greenish more neutral tint
  • Narrower field of view
  • No pincushion distortion

This means that I have to spend a lot of time experimenting with the WB presets, which weren't set for this lens' tint, and combining with my set of filters. Im sure I'll get new and very interesting results.

Anyway, as usual I just wanted to share this with all of you.

Greetings!

Reactions: BobW55 and AeriaL
My experience with the PixAero 3.77 has indicated that regardless of the light setting selected the white balance will require correction in post. I’ve found that selecting the lighting at power up and locking it prior to lift off provides the most accurate white balance. In post my corrections typically are made by increasing the temperature into the very low 7000’s with minor adjustments for blue and magenta. Using an auto white balance correction in the program I use (Photoscape) always falls short in accuracy so I stopped trying to use that feature. On the whole I’ve found the PixAero to be a much better lens than the stock provision.

Reactions: JulesTEO
My experience with the PixAero 3.77 has indicated that regardless of the light setting selected the white balance will require correction in post. I’ve found that selecting the lighting at power up and locking it prior to lift off provides the most accurate white balance. In post my corrections typically are made by increasing the temperature into the very low 7000’s with minor adjustments for blue and magenta. Using an auto white balance correction in the program I use (Photoscape) always falls short in accuracy so I stopped trying to use that feature. On the whole I’ve found the PixAero to be a much better lens than the stock provision.

I did notice that locking the WB at startup was apparently the best, switching between the presets doesnt look right. I don't mind correcting on post as long as the colors are well balanced, footage that will be presented in anyway must be edited anyway hehe. I used to go straight for the sunrise/sunset preset, but now it seems that one doesn't go well with this lens.

Im really excited to experiment on the field with this one. One of the things I didn't like from the camera was how close I had to fly to get nice foreground shots, its not like the H has a shy wingspan.

THanks for the advice!

Like you, I had mostly used Sunrise/Sunset with the OEM lens and like you, found that doesn’t fly with the PixAero. The corrections in post are actually very minor compared to what we dealt with with the OEM lens, and locking W/B after power up actually makes things simpler. I have no explanation for it but it seems the camera sees colors and grades lighting pretty accurately at power up with the PA lens.

Sometimes I feel I tend to over-explain things, so here's a breakdown of my recent experience:

After testing the PixAero on the air, it turns out the results were a bit.. underwhelming.

After replacing lens with original lens mount left side was way out of focus.

I decided that I would attempt to replace the original lens mount by myself since I had a spare damaged camera just in case.

(I believe I even found one post from you @PatR with a similar experience) and I tried my best to be careful while attempting this.But ended straight up killing that sensor xD

20181013-143516.jpg

I transplanted my spare sensor and PixAero still with it's original mount and voilá! this mount was better aligned, though it could be better.

There are no places here in MX that would perform this work so paying to have it done (sending it to the US would be much more expensive than just purchase a new sensor and try again)

Anyway, here's a brief clip comparing "similar" shots from the stock and new lens. I didn't have the patience and/or time to recreate shots.

Greetings!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval