Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

First Test Flight

I have had the H for a week and a half, today we have a fairly nice day, will be 40 degrees soon and the snow is gone. I am charging batteries. I flew my E Flite 180 QX to prepare myself, that little thing is a handful. My goal for today is to just lift off and hover, I am not going to bother myself with the camera. Should I do any calibrations? The manual does not really mention that.

The "manual"..?? LOL!
If you aren't into You Tube or this site and won't do the research necessary to be successful, you'll be like all the other "I want it for free and have it done for me because I'm too lazy to do the homework" failures that permeate our society..

Good luck, you'll need it.. LOL!

The "manual"..?? LOL!
If you aren't into You Tube or this site and won't do the research necessary to be successful, you'll be like all the other "I want it for free and have it done for me because I'm too lazy to do the homework" failures that permeate our society..

Good luck, you'll need it.. LOL!

A little late to the party I would say. I don't depend on luck, just facts and common sense.

Reactions: klattu
So, Pete. How did your maiden flight go? It sounds like you have taken the necessary precautions for a successful flight. You're going to have fun with this thing!

I flew yesterday after a couple of months off. The TH flew like a champ but I neglected to check all the camera settings and ended up with sub-par video. There's a lot to think about with flying and running the camera at the same time.

Interestingly, the flight prior to this one was at least a hundred miles to the east and over 2 months in the past. Yesterday, the GPS status was READY after only about 8 minutes dwell time on the ground and I did not do a compass recalibration. Despite these potential sources of problems, the TH hovered rock steady on takeoff and flew exactly as it should.

So, Pete. How did your maiden flight go? It sounds like you have taken the necessary precautions for a successful flight. You're going to have fun with this thing!

I flew yesterday after a couple of months off. The TH flew like a champ but I neglected to check all the camera settings and ended up with sub-par video. There's a lot to think about with flying and running the camera at the same time.

Interestingly, the flight prior to this one was at least a hundred miles to the east and over 2 months in the past. Yesterday, the GPS status was READY after only about 8 minutes dwell time on the ground and I did not do a compass recalibration. Despite these potential sources of problems, the TH hovered rock steady on takeoff and flew exactly as it should.

Hi, My maiden was just a very basic test on Christmas Eve, It went very well with no surprises. I hovered at around chest level and flew around my yard which is not exactly an open field. I am looking forward to some nicer weather as we are experience our first major snow storm here in New England.

Flying in the snow makes interesting videos....go up, point camera down, follow snowflakes down...kinda cool.

Reactions: Rubik
I have my second test flight scheduled for today. Temps in the upper 40's. I am going to test the camera for the first time, I still have the factory plastic on the lens. I would like to fly around the yard a few times and then go up high and takes some footage. Since I gave up on the Blade 350QX3 with a Mobius under it 3 years ago, 7 Wind Turbines have been built about a mile away. I would like to see what the horizon now looks like up there.

Flight went well. This camera is so much better than my little Mobius. When panning the image jumps, how can this be reduced? I notice also that the quality isn't very good after I uploaded it to YouTube.

Nice place. Congrats - the quality looks very good to me - give or take YouTube's built-in compression algorithm. Are you sure you are watching it in HD?

VP when you say the video jumps when "panning", Two things come to mind. First, in the video at 1:08 you were rotating the aircraft - not the camera - so that is not panning and the reason that you could be seeing the video jump is that the gimbal naturally tries to dampen movement - including side to side. When you yaw the aircraft the camera will not yaw immediately with it, that pause could be happening as you rotate. Second, it could be as simple as the video card on your computer. One of the hardest things for a CPU to do as it relates to our videos is when we are shooting scenes with lots of detail such as foliage and trees and so fourth. This is especially true as the rotation speed is increased. A faster CPU will have a dramatic effect on how movement is displayed on your screen.

Try these two things. Raise the aircraft up and let it hover. Pick up the gear and remain in hover. Flip the Pan Mode switch all the way down then dial in just a little rotation to the gimbal and try to get the camera to rotate at a speed that will take about 25 seconds to do a full 360 pan. Then take a look at the new footage and you will see a definite improvement in your pan shot.

It looks so much better right off of the SD card. I am not sure what I am watching it with. Okay I see the 720 HD option, yes big improvement.

Also it takes a while for the Upload to Youtube to be presented in all resolutions - final 4K taking a while longer. This is what you only saw the smaller resolutions first but their all there now.

Reactions: Victory Pete
I just went up again and have lots of confusion. I had to repeatedly hit the Record button for it to show recording. I went way up 165ft. rotated again and then started to come down, I had to realign to my landing spot. As I hovered it was drifting in the little wind we have. as I landed I looked down and I think I saw "Compass Warning" but it vanished before I could confirm it. I also noticed the Record was stopped. So I brought everything in and put in the SD card in my computer and there is no video.

VP, your 4k video looks great! Nice and sharp, and good colors. I'm viewing it on a 4k monitor, using a fast computer with a fast graphics card and a reasonably high-speed internet connection. Ty is right that your rotations were too fast. At 30 frames per second, there was noticeable movement between frames. Slow gimbal pans look better. If you are not going to be upgrading your system to 4k anytime soon, try shooting at 1920x1080p at 60 fps.
BTW, I liked the view of the frozen pond at 3:10 and your nice solid landing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xxxTODxxx