Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

First Test Flight

It was a joke - based on the not-at-all-funny state of the UK comms industry. How does it work in the US? I would have though it was even less economic to roll fibre out to many of the seriously remote homesteads in the west and north.

Many rural locations even in the eastern US don’t have access to the internet let alone fiber. Rural locations are pretty much dependent on telephone providers and limited by distance from the nearest CO. Some small communities have banded together to get a microwave feed that can then be provided to individual homes and businesses.

Satellite internet is available but quite pricey.

Telephone service is mandated and subsidized by the federal government. Internet is not.

Last edited:
Reactions: YuKay
I am in a semi rural area and have had FIOS for about ten years. Seems to be a good fiber optic system.
I live on the edge of the Pennine moors in England. Roughly about 10 miles to the North East of Manchester. Indeed, a 5 minute walk would put me in open moorland. I have superfast broadband which, incidentally, is NOT supplied by BT Openreach (the main broadband provider in the U.K.). My broadband is supplied by Virgin broadband.

I live on the edge of the Pennine moors in England. Roughly about 10 miles to the North East of Manchester. Indeed, a 5 minute walk would put me in open moorland. I have superfast broadband which, incidentally, is NOT supplied by BT Openreach (the main broadband provider in the U.K.). My broadband is supplied by Virgin broadband.
Flushvision, you are lucky - I live on a farm in Sussex with no other houses in a 1km radius. No company is willing to install fibre to just one house so I don't see any improvement on my 6Mb/s in the near future. There are large numbers of rural homes that have this problem but commercially there is no incentive to change this.

Flushvision, you are lucky - I live on a farm in Sussex with no other houses in a 1km radius. No company is willing to install fibre to just one house so I don't see any improvement on my 6Mb/s in the near future. There are large numbers of rural homes that have this problem but commercially there is no incentive to change this.
I feel for you mate. I've been with Virgin for around ten years and it started as just 1Mb/s. Over that time its slowly improved to around 40Mb/s. It is only very recently that BT Openreach made any impact in my area and, as far as I know, still cant come anywhere close to the speeds I get with Virgin.

Why are objects smaller in these videos than in direct vision. There are wind turbines in my 2 videos that are hard to see but they appear huge even when further away with the naked eye.

Why are objects smaller in these videos than in direct vision. There are wind turbines in my 2 videos that are hard to see but they appear huge even when further away with the naked eye.
Yes, it's all related to the lens in the camera compared to the lens in your eyes. The TH has a wide angle lens. It squeezes a 98-deg wide view into the width of the video images. That means it has to compress things somewhat. Your eyes are much more clever and can adjust (focus) to different distances and your brain concentrates on the center of your view making what ever is there seem larger. The E50 camera has a narrower field of view (58-deg) so things will appear closer and larger in the video.

Yes, it's all related to the lens in the camera compared to the lens in your eyes. The TH has a wide angle lens. It squeezes a 98-deg wide view into the width of the video images. That means it has to compress things somewhat. Your eyes are much more clever and can adjust (focus) to different distances and your brain concentrates on the center of your view making what ever is there seem larger. The E50 camera has a narrower field of view (58-deg) so things will appear closer and larger in the video.
I remember once when someone saw a video I'd produced from a P2V+ being accused of flying dangerously high. The person didn't appreciate the effect of a wide angle lens and was convinced I'd been flying at like a thousand feet when in actuality the aircraft never went above 400 feet, and, due to the aircraft's settings, was incapable of going above 400 feet.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dvca441772