Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

First Time Pilot/Owner

Lol No problem:) I just figured since I irritate so many already I didn't want another one for today:rolleyes:

I will throw in my couple of thoughts here... I was exactly where you are about 10 months ago.
This board will be your university. For example, the real users manual for the Typhoon H
can be found here:

Want to help make a better manual?

As I did, follow the advice given here about getting a $60 nano quad to bounce off of the walls
and ceiling first. My own H sat in the box for 6 weeks after I got it. The Blade Nano Qx is a
good choice for $60.00. Simple quad with a simple controller. The ST-16 can be daunting
with all the available buttons and choices.

Also an early skill you need to practice is successfully removing and replacing the camera.
Among other things, one of the keys to reliably getting a successful compass calibration,
is removal of the camera for that procedure. As suggested above, you want to do your first
dozen flights without the camera.

First, it will help you in making the transition, from flying the Nano to flying the H, since in
both cases you will only be concerned with learning how the sticks move in relation to how
the bird moves. Second, the camera is the most expensive component and most difficult
to repair. Best to protect that investment by minimizing risk early on.

When you are new to RC flying, it is easy to lose orientation of your drone... the original
thread is gone, so credit to the OP CraigCam, for coming up with this idea... paint each
of the landing legs of the H a different color fluorescent paint. I also paint the back covers
of the battery. (Since these pictures, I have changed the back battery cover to orange).
Easy to tell if the H is facing away from you or toward you.

View attachment 6618 View attachment 6619

Read the following thread... it can help you determine orientation of the bird on the ST-16,
and is one of the most valuable threads on the forum.

Green Arrow Explained

I'll add to this if I think of more...
I put florescent sticker on battery and colored heat shrink on landing gear, was Leary of painting Carbon fiber

I used a Husban first then some other Chinese cheapy, crashed many times, mostly due to cheap drone than pilot error

Shoot, looking back I wonder why I never thought of the "cheap drone" line for a reason;) Good one!

Well patr I have to somewhat disagree with that statement. I'm a former pilot, single and twin engine land. Also Cobra helicopter mechanic. We know there will be pilot error or malfunctions from aircraft. I believe these can be avoided by preventive maintenance and assessing the conditions you are flying in. I've been only flying for 3 months 36 hours flight time, using my services in construction related projects. Absolute caution and preparation before any flight is a must!
I do not expect I will crash, not that I'm being naive, but am ready to "fly the hex in an emergency and look for a place to land as safely as possible".
I was, of course, referring to RC aircraft. If you fly one long enough there are increasingly higher odds that something will go wrong no matter your skill or PM. But it was really intended to be a tongue in cheek comment.

Yup. Even with the U control line dogfights we had in the late 50's, early 60's.

Well did a little test run today, didn't go higher the 15' or so. Just got familiar with the controls. I can't wait till I'm good enough to do some real flying with this thing! Made me feel like a kid when I got my first RC car lol.

Reactions: Steve Carr
Been flying 2+ years, first with the Q and now with the H added to the fleet. Got my commercial permit last December from FAA. A few things: really learn how those battery chargers work, esp. Amps, have recently begun to goooo sloooow on the charging 1 or 2 amps, it will extend life of your batteries. Join a club, I belong to AMA and our local flying club. I have learned so much, most of them are RC guys but there is a lot of cross-over technology (like batteries!) that you can learn from. Our club also has no trees, no power lines, far away from any houses or buildings, so it's perfect for testing, practicing, and demonstrating. I would also advise getting a simulator, I have a RealFlight one and it's great. I know somebody suggested a cheap nano, I have one too but I found it frustrating to control. Finally, I was quite surprised that the "newer" SD cards specifically for video are really worth it. I was skeptical at first, got one and was amazed at the difference in video quality. Happy and safe flying!

Reactions: PatR
AMA club to expensive and to many regulations in tight quarters. I have my own insurance and can fly practically anywhere. I went to a couple of clubs here and this is what I got. 1st club rules since I fly drones I will always be last in line and if somebody came to the field with a regular model plane or helicopter they will go before me, HUUUUUH! Second club bunch of snobs, thought they were to good for drones, they didn't want one on their field. No thanks to any RC Club!

I bought my H in December and crashed it 5 times before I got the knack of it. It cost me 5 arms ($60/a piece), 2 landing gear motors ($30/piece), and one camera repair ($120). Since the end of february, I have not crashed and just purchased a Mavic also a month ago and have been improving my abilities in both brands. Took my knowledge test for 107 on Wednesday and passed with a 92. Now to wait for the FAA.

Finally, I was quite surprised that the "newer" SD cards specifically for video are really worth it. I was skeptical at first, got one and was amazed at the difference in video quality. Happy and safe flying!

Vicki, please expand on how the quality improved... and what speed the card is rated at... V30 or V60?
Was it simply faster write speed, so less buffering? Or a discernible difference in the video of the files?
Better tonal range / dynamic contrast? Or a sharper image?

I currently have a couple of U3 cards, but they are not V rated. Do you have anything from the previous
cards that you could maybe post a comparison?

Last question, I promise!:p Did you see any change in photo quality?

Don't want to hijack mtengr's thread, so mebbe a new one?

Last edited:
Well had my first crash already :D. Didn't take long at all. I got too cocky at the wheel and was just testing at low altitudes in my backyard. I was speeding things up a bit and lost orientation of the H and hit the shed before I could correct my movement. Thankfully I took some of the advice here and had the camera off. Only cost me 3 propellers lol.

Practice makes perfect! Already have prop guard and extra propellers on the way. Found an open field a little ways outside of my town and flew a little more there. Definitely going to spend quite a few hours there for a while.

If you think your going to lose control let go of the controls and it will hover

I would permit you to disagree with me had I been the one that posted that;)

When using some initial caution to avoid bad situations, I tend to agree with you. As experience is gained, if that experience, knowledge, and a little advance planning go into preparing for the flight, we don't need to use superior flying skills to assure the safe outcome of a flight. Average skills work fine. However, as you read through the various crash threads it becomes evident some don't plan anything and run into stuff they didn't need to:)
I recon that if you can get past the first dozen, or so, of flights without incident, then the chances of having a crash begin to diminish. The first crash I had some years ago (my fault) was on just the fourth flight of that aircraft. The root cause of that crash was taking off with controller switches in the wrong positions. A stupid newbie trick.

You either learn from mistakes or have a very deep wallet.

The only crash I've had so far (6 months of ownership) was about 2 weeks ago. I rubbed a tree trunk about 3' off the ground and fell. The gimbal was slightly out of whack, but all the pieces snapped back together and everything works fine. I don't intend to do that again.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval