Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Freewell ND Filters for H Plus

If one or more brands of filters will fit back and forth between different cameras while another brand won’t that fact clearly demonstrates the fit problem is not because of the camera, but is due to the filter.

What is suggested is that someone performed a lens production run using the wrong mounting ring. Telling the public they made a mistake is tantamount to telling people to demand their money back. If they just happened to run out of correct ring sizes and don’t foresee a high sales volume terminating production of them is an easy business decision. Same applies if they don’t foresee brand sales in numbers high enough to justify the tooling cost.

We need to stop thinking businesses tell the truth and are our friends looking to support us. That’s not the way it is at all. Half truths and permutations of the truth, deflection, along with statements that permit people to hear what they want to hear is reality. We need to maintain a level of skepticism and let them prove themselves and products. We can trust, but only if we have verification to allow trust.

Reactions: mbernholdt
Interesting thread, as an owner of a new Plus a ND filter was my next purchase, but after reading all this I may hang fire, have no idea what size to order !!

The Plus comes with a 39mm → 40.5mm step-up adapter ring. You will be looking for ND filters in the 40.5mm size.

Interesting thread, as an owner of a new Plus a ND filter was my next purchase, but after reading all this I may hang fire, have no idea what size to order !!
Well if you're lucky you might still be able to find a few sets from Freewell. Just make sure you test the fit and order from a place where you can return if they don't fit. I had to order and return a all day pack before I got one that fitted. They are awesome filters with very little color cast.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using YuneecPilots Drone Forum mobile app

The Plus comes with a 39mm → 40.5mm step-up adapter ring. You will be looking for ND filters in the 40.5mm size.

Right, and for those that missed it, you can get a three ND filter set from Amazon for under 20 bucks that has an ND2, ND4 and an ND8 in the 40.5 mm size. Pick up a single ND16 for around the same amount and you've got pretty much everything covered for under 40 dollars. The only thing I would caution is; one may need to counter balance if the filters used are too heavy, but I don't suspect the C23 would have any problem as this size filter is fairly light to begin with.

Buy the freewells even if they don’t fit it’s very easy to rectify.
Wrap the thread with plummers tape (we call it ptfe tape in the uk) on the C23/E90 as the thread difference is 0.5mm where they don’t fit properly.
I’ve used this method when I borrowed an E90 from yuneec UK and my freewells didn’t fit.
It worked very well.

Reactions: Haydn and Steve0510
If they don't fit, order the E90 case for $20 and change the front section of the case. It fits the C23 as well. It worked for me.

Reactions: Haydn
Yuneec EU Customer Service responded to my request:
"If you would like to change the filter, we would not recommend to exchange them with more than 3g of weight." What filters can weigh so little? I bought Gobe N8 with an aluminum case and it weighs 5.6 grams.

Last edited:
Interesting topic
It's better if manufacturer can sell some matched ND filters for E90/C23, then we don't worry about the size issue

Interesting topic
It's better if manufacturer can sell some matched ND filters for E90/C23, then we don't worry about the size issue
Unfortunately crap happens in the tech world. The Hubble telescope oopsie cost us US taxpayers a crap load of $. Billion dollar oopsies!

I have a question, what's the shutter time when use the ND filter? I think the picture will be blue when exposure time is too long, example 1/2 or higher.
Could you please share some experience or tips?

They do tend to give some color cast on longer exposures, on images you can fix in post by changing the white balance in lightroom or similar. Personally I only use the ND filters on video to keep my shutter speed the double of my frame rate. I almost shoot at 30fps with a shutter speed of 60.

I purchased a 40.5 mm Hoya ND filter only to discover the adaptor ring supplied with the Plus doesn't fit the front of the camera or even screw onto the filter !! will have to look for a new step up ring now

They do tend to give some color cast on longer exposures, on images you can fix in post by changing the white balance in lightroom or similar. Personally I only use the ND filters on video to keep my shutter speed the double of my frame rate. I almost shoot at 30fps with a shutter speed of 60.
Thanks for sharing.

I purchased a 40.5 mm Hoya ND filter only to discover the adaptor ring supplied with the Plus doesn't fit the front of the camera or even screw onto the filter !! will have to look for a new step up ring now

Your search for a new step-up ring will be limited to ordering a replacement from Yuneec...

The threads of the C23 and E90 are male and on the outside of the lens body.

View attachment 11358

There are no third-party, double female step-up rings made, to my knowledge... certainly none of such a specific sizing of 39mm → 40.5mm.

Last edited:
Reactions: Steve0510
hmmmm, is the step up ring 39mm-40.5mm a (Lens) female (Filter) male or the other way round ? or female to female or male to male !

hmmmm, is the step up ring 39mm-40.5mm a (Lens) female (Filter) male or the other way round ? or female to female or male to male !
I think trans to pans

Reactions: Docdor

Yuneec's step-up ring is proprietary to them, because the lens on the C23 has male threads... virtually all standard lenses have female threading. So the adapter ring is female to female. When placed, you will have standard female threading on the 40.5 side... to mate with the standard 40.5 filter you are using.

Reactions: Steve0510
Right, and for those that missed it, you can get a three ND filter set from Amazon for under 20 bucks that has an ND2, ND4 and an ND8 in the 40.5 mm size. Pick up a single ND16 for around the same amount and you've got pretty much everything covered for under 40 dollars. The only thing I would caution is; one may need to counter balance if the filters used are too heavy, but I don't suspect the C23 would have any problem as this size filter is fairly light to begin with.

Thank you. I read your advice well. May I ask you a question? I have very little experience with drones photography, so I do not know about camera filters. Do I need ND16 only? Do I need ND 2, 4, 8, 16 all the time?

I asked Freewell questions. They called me "Yuneec has changed the thread of camera". Does this cause problems?

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval