Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Gimble Horizon tilt

Reaction score
my H has a problem with the gimble tilting the horizon about 10 degrees. I have tried the calibration several times and no luck. I need it for work so it;s important to see if I can fix it. When I do the calibration it says should take 2 miinutes but mine will do things for 20 minutes or more. I have shut it down and restart and it always comes back to the same tilt. I can't find any adjustments to reset level. I dont know if there is a hiden calibration in the St16 or not. It's really got me frustrated

my H has a problem with the gimble tilting the horizon about 10 degrees. I have tried the calibration several times and no luck. I need it for work so it;s important to see if I can fix it. When I do the calibration it says should take 2 miinutes but mine will do things for 20 minutes or more. I have shut it down and restart and it always comes back to the same tilt. I can't find any adjustments to reset level. I dont know if there is a hiden calibration in the St16 or not. It's really got me frustrated
Unfortunately, there's no "hidden calibration menu". I recently had a similar problem, except that, in my case, the gimbal (after calibration) would have the camera pointed approx 5° to the right. The only way to 'fix' it was to have an RMA created, and ship it in for repair. It took 2wks, from shipping, to receiving back (just received it back a few days ago, but haven't had time to test it yet).

I suggest scheduling a "tech support" phone call, and have the technician troubleshoot the problem. If they can fix the problem over the phone, they will...and, if it's not fixable over the phone, they'll tell you what I just told you, above.

Try doing the accelerometer calibration first (on a level surface). Then do the gimbal calibration leaving the Pan position knob centered and the camera tilt knob at center. Both will give an audible beep at those positions as you approach it. Remember to reboot the TH after doing the gimbal calibration.
Report the results after trying this.

Try doing the accelerometer calibration first (on a level surface). Then do the gimbal calibration leaving the Pan position knob centered and the camera tilt knob at center. Both will give an audible beep at those positions as you approach it. Remember to reboot the TH after doing the gimbal calibration.
Report the results after trying this.

Doesn't help. Still has the tilt
As you can see this started after the first picture was taken in 4 2018, the next 2 pictures are from 8 2018 and you can see a definite tilt, the last picture is today in my driveway, the tilt is still there. Gimble flat   4 2018.jpgGimble flat   4 2018.jpgGimble flat   4 2018.jpgGimble tilt 2.jpggimble tilt 3.jpgGimble tilt.jpg

@WTFDproject do you have any suggestions? It appears this is a case where the horizon changes with the camera heading. Requires a factory calibration?

There are a few folks that live in and around Houston, maybe they are reading this post too. and can reach out to you?
BTW, I want the Astros to win the league series.

@WTFDproject do you have any suggestions? It appears this is a case where the horizon changes with the camera heading. Requires a factory calibration?

I don't have an answer. It appears to be similar to what I call a "magnetic" horizon tilt (yeah, I know. I just don't have a better name for it.)
On the two examples I have had, the camera was level when pointed north or south, tilted north when facing west, and tilted south when facing east. Both were on CG03 cameras. I spent very little time looking into it, because both fixed themselves while I was trying to study them. That is obviously not going to happen here, since the condition has existed for more than a year.

I looked through some old threads. The only "home remedy" that was recommended with any apparent confidence was on a TH / CGo3+ combination. The recommended solution was to create a new model and run new "calibrations". The article did not specify which calibrations. There was no feedback to report whether the method worked or not. (Another article reported that it did not help.) At least it's easy enough to try. And would provide some value if the results were reported, either good or bad.
Another member reported the issue cleared when he found and repaired a stuck PWM contact on the camera mount.
A couple folks mentioned the problem went away after removing camera, restarting, etc.
Some folks reported the issue appeared after installing updates.

I am not even sure the cause. Prime suspect would be the IMU, but that is just a guess.

It would be great if someone could team up and try different combinations of camera/ drone /controller.

And, as @Panther6834 has mentioned, there is always Customer Service / Repair Center. Might take a little time, might be a little expensive, you will never know what caused it or cured it, but it does have the advantage that the camera will probably work again.

Reactions: Steve Carr
In all likelihood, yes. That is why I have said, twice now, to schedule a tech support call with Yuneec. When they call (in whatever date/time you schedule), there is a 15min time limit, so use the time "wisely".

When you go to the website to schedule the appointment, you will need to type as detailed as explanation as possible (in the limited character-spacing allowed). This way, the tech will have as much info as possible before calling you, and will have already searched possible solutions. When the tech calls he/she will either walk you through whatever steps are needed to correct the problem, if the problem can be corrected by an 'end-user'...or, the tech will briefly explain what the problem is, that it can only be fixed by sending it in for repair, and telling you how to set up an RMA from the website.

Honestly, even though they limit the tech calls to 15mun, the support is excellent. If they can help you fix it via a phone call, they WILL . and, if shipping it in for repair is there only did a they WILL explain that. To use the problem I had as an example, I'm in the U.S., but my second camera/gimbal was from Europe (ie. officially, no "U.S. warranty"). However, they still covered it under warranty, did the repair, and shipped it back to me. Total turnaround time (dropping off at UPS to ship to them, to receiving it back) was slightly less than 2wks.

You have two options:
1) You can continue looking for solutions from people in here, even knowing that getting said solution is highly unlikely, this you will only delay getting the problem fixed.
2) You can schedule a tech support call from Yuneec (heck, they might even still have open slots as early as later today), and have A REAL solution asap. The sooner you check & schedule the appointment, the sooner you'll have the callback, and the sooner your problem will be resolved.

If the camera/gimbal is out of warranty, it might cost some money (and, then again, they could still cover it under warranty...under certain circumstances, they will do that), but what's better - getting free advise in here, and no actual 'fix'...or spending a little money, and having a 100% functional camera?
I would like to know if it's the camera or something else before I ship the compete drone to them to fix. Packaging the camera is easier than the complete drone. I will try and get a tech to call. a couple months ago I had contacted them and all they said was send it back and told me they were closing the claim

I don't have an answer. It appears to be similar to what I call a "magnetic" horizon tilt (yeah, I know. I just don't have a better name for it.)
On the two examples I have had, the camera was level when pointed north or south, tilted north when facing west, and tilted south when facing east. Both were on CG03 cameras. I spent very little time looking into it, because both fixed themselves while I was trying to study them. That is obviously not going to happen here, since the condition has existed for more than a year.

I looked through some old threads. The only "home remedy" that was recommended with any apparent confidence was on a TH / CGo3+ combination. The recommended solution was to create a new model and run new "calibrations". The article did not specify which calibrations. There was no feedback to report whether the method worked or not. (Another article reported that it did not help.) At least it's easy enough to try. And would provide some value if the results were reported, either good or bad.
Another member reported the issue cleared when he found and repaired a stuck PWM contact on the camera mount.
A couple folks mentioned the problem went away after removing camera, restarting, etc.
Some folks reported the issue appeared after installing updates.

I am not even sure the cause. Prime suspect would be the IMU, but that is just a guess.

It would be great if someone could team up and try different combinations of camera/ drone /controller.

And, as @Panther6834 has mentioned, there is always Customer Service / Repair Center. Might take a little time, might be a little expensive, you will never know what caused it or cured it, but it does have the advantage that the camera will probably work again.
If I knew it was the camera I would just buy a new one. If the problem is in the drone I don't mind sending it to get fixed. I have 3 DJI drones so I'm not completely out. I just been trying to get this one going off and on for a couple months. It flys good, takes good pictures and video when it works right. Very stable in the air. I just wish the horizon was right. I can crop and correct the pictures in my edit program so it;s really not the end of the world, but it's faster if I don't have to fix them all.

Enough people have already giving you advice, including some who have suggested tech support, and, if need be, sending the camera and gimbal in for repair. If you're choosing to not follow the advice having been given, that's your decision. Good day. Unsubscribed.
I have a call tomorrow at 10;25

As @WTFDproject has mentioned, creating the new model and binding to that model has merit.
You could also try to reset the camera with the two tiny buttons behind the sd card slot. It's a bit tricky. You need someone to hold the H in the air while you use a toothpick broken in half to press both buttons at the same time. The camera will go limp while it reboots. Hold the camera level until the gimbal powers back on.

Reactions: WTFDproject
I am pretty sure it is the camera and not the drone. Something has to do with the roll motor. Remove the vertical cover and see if some wires are to steched and keep the horizontal frame to not go in the initial position. Also, turn the drone on and let the camera to initialize and wait for a few minutes, check if the roll motor is getting hot. If does then you have some resistance on that motor and it is trying to go in the right position but something is keeping to do that. The horizontal frame has to move freely when you move-it with your hand.

Got the call from Yuneec Tech went the way i figured it would. Can't trouble shoot it over the phone, box it up and send it to us so we can charge you to fix it. Well that doesn't help me understand what is wrong with the drone, SO, I did the camera reset 2 times and turned the drone off each time. It appears to be holding a level horizon now on my coffee table. It's raining right now so as soon as I can take it out and test fly it to see if it's fixed I'll let everyone know the results..

Reactions: Steve Carr

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval