Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Good News -> MAJOR Update for Typhoon H expected on January 1st

I've got to say that I have been flying my H for well over 12 months now and have only ever had the battery warning come on once, and that was on my approach to land, within the first month of owning it. Maybe, rather than worrying about the low battery warning posing an issue when planning a video, it may be a better idea to plan your flight times so that you don't get the warnings?
Please don't take this the wrong way - I'm certainly not trying to be a smart arse. Just offering a suggestion so that you can get your filming done without dealing with the warnings.
When I film live, for example a triathlon, it is difficult to stall the flight depending on the battery and unplanned sports events in advance.
If I can, I predict, but in some cases it's impossible, you have to finish your plan, and there, no more visibility. It would be enough to put a blinking red band which indicates to you the level of battery, but which does not prevent you from seeing your scene. And in these cases, we finish on a few seconds and we go back to ask. ;)

Plan a flight around battery voltage, not time. Battery state controls how long you’ll fly, not a clock. If the H is landed by or before 14.4v the warning will never occur.

Please educate me (seriously). What is the issue with having the low battery warning pop up?

I only fly my drone on my golf course when there are very few people around and constantly fly until I get the warning. I mainly practice taking video doing fly runs down my fairways at different elevations and moving up and down during the flight to get better videos, so I may be out there for a few hours (I got 8 batteries) just making the runs. I generally hit the home button when the warning comes on. Am I doing this wrong?

Please educate me (seriously). What is the issue with having the low battery warning pop up?

I only fly my drone on my golf course when there are very few people around and constantly fly until I get the warning. I mainly practice taking video doing fly runs down my fairways at different elevations and moving up and down during the flight to get better videos, so I may be out there for a few hours (I got 8 batteries) just making the runs. I generally hit the home button when the warning comes on. Am I doing this wrong?
No, everything is normal, but imagine that you are doing a dolly on a golfer walking on the fairway, and suddenly you have low battery alert, you do not see your video return. What to do ? to go blind or miss the scene?
It is not difficult to modify the alert so that we can continue to fit. This remark has been made for over a year, but Yuneec has never reacted

Did you do what I think you did?;)

BTW, Like you I think the current firmware works fine.

It works fine till it gets a interference from metal and wants to toilet bowl. That’s a issue with the last firmware that should have been addressed. Other than that yes it flies great.

Please educate me (seriously). What is the issue with having the low battery warning pop up?................I generally hit the home button when the warning comes on. Am I doing this wrong?

Hi Randy,
In my opinion, the best outcome is to have a flight without the low battery warning. Plan your flights, dependant on the environmental situation. Look after your batteries. I would much rather a shortened flight, than a flight that pushed the battery too far. If you are waiting for the low battery warning and then heading for home, then you are most probably leaving things a little too late.

Hi Randy,
In my opinion, the best outcome is to have a flight without the low battery warning. Plan your flights, dependant on the environmental situation. Look after your batteries. I would much rather a shortened flight, than a flight that pushed the battery too far. If you are waiting for the low battery warning and then heading for home, then you are most probably leaving things a little too late.
Thanks for the info. since I have basically been in training mode I have not started my planned flights. Like I mentioned earlier I have been mainly using it to take overhead shots of my course, especially areas that I am getting ready to renovate and during the renovation process. other then that I have been practicing flights filming from my tee boxes to my greens and the different angles I can film it from. some of these flights are only a foot off the ground and almost full speed. I change up my elevations on some flight starting low and moving high and back down. My goal has been to get really good at the flying part while experimenting with the filming to see what looks best.

I'm really lucky in that I have 126 acres of scenic property to play around on. I know that getting great video is much more than just flying and shooting and that by practicing the way I am will become very useful down the road. I am not in a big hurry to get to a finished product but rather want to enjoy the journey and education on the way there.

I see where the battery issue can be a problem now and will start adding that into my lessons. But in regards to not seeing the warning? is it not better to run your batteries down as low as possible before recharging? if so do you just discharge them or when you return to home continue to run it down near yourself?

Reactions: jngrally
T is it not better to run your batteries down as low as possible before recharging? if so do you just discharge them or when you return to home continue to run it down near yourself?

You should try to avoid running your LiPo batteries down "as low as possible". As a general rule, taking a LiPo down too far will have an impact on the life of the battery. There is a lot of info out there on proper LiPo battery care, and some good threads on this forum about it.
As a personal rule, I don't take my LiPo's down any lower than 3.7v per cell - cold reading. (14.8v for a 4S LiPo). I always store my batteries at 3.85v per cell (15.4v). And, I never leave a LiPo at full charge for any longer than a day or two.
Look after your batteries - they are the main deciding factor that either keeps you in the air, or drops you to the ground.

Reactions: Niblett
I'll believe it when I see it (and some other poor pwerson has tested it for bugs...) but I'd want to see:

1) E50 compatability (E90 too, but it sounds like that's a pipe dream with the bit compatability thing of that camera)
2) H920 like waypoints, so I can edit stuff on the ST-16 instead of using a computer. H520 type datapilot would be nice, but I don't see that realistically coming to the H480.
3) GPS switching made more accessable. Either the Aux button or turning the smart mode into manual mode via a menu setting.

I just received my 920 so I'll get to see how the waypoint and map functions work with the ST-16. I like your idea of a menu program to change the Smart mode switch position to one that would be GPS off/manual.

Hi All, I am still keeping up on my information on the forum regularly, and thank everybody for there input as it is varied and constructive in the end. My mate and I are still working feverishly to launching our business in the new year,at present still doing heaps of test flights for heights for shots that will enlarge the best and setting our safety and insurance and company structure up along with Webb site and advertising . But we are still very interested in the capabilities of Tuna and his extras to UAV TOOLBOX, being waypoints and grids etc. He must be extremely busy with getting all of this under control and his results of his quick polling of the forum. I am hoping that he succeeds as it will make it easy for our jobs. But I am flying a lot of hrs and need two more batteries as two GIFI 7000mah are getting puffy. I am useing a Ev-Peak CQ3 and am finding it very good compared to stn and a small Ev-Peak C1. Thank you all for making this an interesting forum and hopefully we get our updates either from Yuneec or Tuna as I think that the H 480 platform is very capable for our bussiness of roof inspections and look forward to keeping them for a lot longer. Johnno Hennessy. Keep flying on the green side of the grass.

Reactions: jngrally
Something that hasn't been addressed is security. I'd like to see the WiFi link be secure. Along with that, I'd like to see it made impossible to change the controller while it's airborne. Haven't heard of it happening to the H yet, but it's happened to others, and it's only a matter of time til some hacker manages to hijack an H by taking over mid-air.

Something little that bugs me is that I occasionally forget to hit "Stop video" before turning the aircraft off. There's no reason that this action can't be incorporated into the shutdown sequence.

I'm on the fence about the AUX/GPS thing. Seems easy to accidentally turn it off. How about a double tap to turn it off, single to turn it back on? Accidentally touch (once), that's the 'on' command anyway, no change, but turning it off is still quick when you actually want to...

How hard would it be to code this: keep track of distance to ST and wind (by what effort it takes to maintain a hover); when battery is down to just enough to return, force the RTH. Along similar lines, an RTH (auto) landing could be done facing the wind if wind is checked/known as it descends...

On the "add-on hardware required" side:

Something I'd like to see for Team Mode operations is a second camera, perhaps mounted between the H and the "main" camera. This camera points forward only, doesn't need to be UHD (720 or 1080 would work fine) or even recorded, and the video goes to the Pilot ST16, while the main camera video & control goes to the Camera ST16. This way the Pilot can see where he's going without having to disrupt camera ops. I feel it would really be helpful, especially for activities like tower inspections, where the unit may need to go high enough that seeing what's in front of it from the ground is problematic.

Another thing that I think would prove handy is a very small capacity battery inside the H (not the flight battery!), that lets it have enough power to retain GPS lock, camera settings, etc, for a minute or so for a battery change. This battery could recharge off the next flight battery like a cell phone from a power bank - its capacity would be so small it wouldn't be noticed. A battery-change power-down could be a press-press of the power button (keeping certain things alive from the internal cell), while the normal press-hold is still a full shutdown...

FePhoenix,

For inspection work at distance I would seriously consider using an assistant with a pair of binoculars. If you want to obtain the best photos there's only two ways to do it, get real close or use a lens that provides greater magnification. There's only so much the gimbal on the H is designed to do and capable of doing and remain effective. It's very much weight limited where the vibration dampeners are concerned, meaning you can't go off the deep end with lenses that are significantly larger in size and weight that what the CGO-3 comes with. The assistant would be quite helpful in guiding the operator to the closest safe distance possible and be a real big help in avoiding guy wires. Those often invisible buggers get in front of you real fast and will bring the aircraft down the first time you hit one.

As for the GPS battery, I'm not certain but i believe the H-480 GPS module already contains a small back up battery.

Something to consider; your FPV camera idea is a good one but to incorporate one introduces some new issues. We should understand the H-480 is designed as a system, where each part of the system impacts other parts of the system. The electrical system is designed to output "X" amount of power, with that amount of power determined by the aircraft's weight. The battery is a substantial portion of the aircraft's total weight, so the size of the battery was selected based upon maximizing the potential flight time but not add so much weight it would impact power performance. On that basis, the addition of an FPV system would create two negatives. One is additional weight, where additional weight places a greater load on the designed power system. The other is the power drain that would be incurred by the FPV electronics. If the FPV drew power from the flight battery the usable flight time would decrease. A small secondary battery could be applied to power the FPV system but that adds even more weight, further impacting flight time and the power system. Multirotors are all about "balance", where that balance references the compatibility of all the associated components. Add too large a battery and the additional weight of the larger battery can actually decrease flight time because more power is demanded of the system just to lift and carry it.

A lot of effort goes into designing a balanced system. Most of them usually have a little room to carry some additional weight, but the additional weight carried always comes at the expense of available flight time, and when too much impacts aircraft stability. Same applies to any accessory added that draws power from the flight battery.

Forgetting to stop the video is something we have all done. The requirement to stop the video has been present with pretty much all of Yuneec's multirotors. They even make mention of it in the 920 manual, something they should have done in all the other manuals but didn't. OTOH, over time each of us becomes more knowledgeable of the systems we fly and small things like stopping the video become less and less of a problem because we learned it's something we need to remember and do. Shoot, there's been more than a few flights I've forgotten to start the video.

The desire for more complex functionality is obtained with the 520. Since the 520 is advertised as being able to utilize such capabilities do not anticipate such would be made available for the H-480. That would totally defeat the design and marketing of the H-520. Yuneec has made a clear statement they are establishing a performance separation between the H-480 and the H-520. More professional activities will be in the realm of the 520, not the 480.

Reactions: rdonson
FePhoenix,

For inspection work at distance I would seriously consider using an assistant with a pair of binoculars. If you want to obtain the best photos there's only two ways to do it, get real close or use a lens that provides greater magnification. There's only so much the gimbal on the H is designed to do and capable of doing and remain effective. It's very much weight limited where the vibration dampeners are concerned, meaning you can't go off the deep end with lenses that are significantly larger in size and weight that what the CGO-3 comes with. The assistant would be quite helpful in guiding the operator to the closest safe distance possible and be a real big help in avoiding guy wires. Those often invisible buggers get in front of you real fast and will bring the aircraft down the first time you hit one.

As for the GPS battery, I'm not certain but i believe the H-480 GPS module already contains a small back up battery.

Something to consider; your FPV camera idea is a good one but to incorporate one introduces some new issues. We should understand the H-480 is designed as a system, where each part of the system impacts other parts of the system. The electrical system is designed to output "X" amount of power, with that amount of power determined by the aircraft's weight. The battery is a substantial portion of the aircraft's total weight, so the size of the battery was selected based upon maximizing the potential flight time but not add so much weight it would impact power performance. On that basis, the addition of an FPV system would create two negatives. One is additional weight, where additional weight places a greater load on the designed power system. The other is the power drain that would be incurred by the FPV electronics. If the FPV drew power from the flight battery the usable flight time would decrease. A small secondary battery could be applied to power the FPV system but that adds even more weight, further impacting flight time and the power system. Multirotors are all about "balance", where that balance references the compatibility of all the associated components. Add too large a battery and the additional weight of the larger battery can actually decrease flight time because more power is demanded of the system just to lift and carry it.

A lot of effort goes into designing a balanced system. Most of them usually have a little room to carry some additional weight, but the additional weight carried always comes at the expense of available flight time, and when too much impacts aircraft stability. Same applies to any accessory added that draws power from the flight battery.

Forgetting to stop the video is something we have all done. The requirement to stop the video has been present with pretty much all of Yuneec's multirotors. They even make mention of it in the 920 manual, something they should have done in all the other manuals but didn't. OTOH, over time each of us becomes more knowledgeable of the systems we fly and small things like stopping the video become less and less of a problem because we learned it's something we need to remember and do. Shoot, there's been more than a few flights I've forgotten to start the video.

I hear ya. An observer with binos is still going to have the perspective problem the pilot will at greater distances (and guy wires will still be an issue, still being hard to see, and that pesky perspective thing again). Racing FPV cameras are so small and light now that the "balance" you rightly discussed is essentially a moot point. With its own battery, around 35 grams. No H is going to notice that. It could easily be integrated into the camera mount. See Weyland Runcam Split WDR FPV Camera 2.5mm RC25G 1080P 60fps HD Recorder WiFi... | eBay for an idea (this one does not incorporate its own battery, but adding one to this 21g camera will still not exceed 35g). Heck, that would about balance (weight) the Marco Polo I've stuck on my H's butt.

I don't think the GPS battery you mention maintains a lock. It may keep certain things, but a shutdown-batteryswap-startup, no matter how quick, still takes time to re-lock, and it also loses camera settings. This is nonsense, as others have said (mainly ref the camera).

As for the video-stop thing, I read what you said as agreement: there's no reason a firmware update can't include auto-stop as part of shutdown. I've not forgotten since I put a bright red sticker next to the aircraft's power button saying "hey idiot, kill video first!" (not literally, but it might as well). The point, however, is that it CAN easily be done in firmware. Would really stink if you just got that great, unrepeatable shot, and forgot it that time, wouldn't it?

Kris

...<snip>...

As for the video-stop thing, I read what you said as agreement: there's no reason a firmware update can't include auto-stop as part of shutdown. I've not forgotten since I put a bright red sticker next to the aircraft's power button saying "hey idiot, kill video first!" (not literally, but it might as well). The point, however, is that it CAN easily be done in firmware. Would really stink if you just got that great, unrepeatable shot, and forgot it that time, wouldn't it?

Kris
Of course it's possible to have an auto stop. I've had this functionality for my (now soon to be retired) P2V+ since early 2015 via an app that I installed on my phone. As soon as the motors are stopped the video auto stops recording. Incidentally, the camera starts recording automatically when the motors start up too, thus negating the instances where you fly and forget to start the recording which I have done when using the H480.

The desire for more complex functionality is obtained with the 520. Since the 520 is advertised as being able to utilize such capabilities do not anticipate such would be made available for the H-480. That would totally defeat the design and marketing of the H-520. Yuneec has made a clear statement they are establishing a performance separation between the H-480 and the H-520. More professional activities will be in the realm of the 520, not the 480.

I am afraid so, yes.

I find it difficult to believe some of the comments here; e.g. Firmware works fine??, I have no problems with the firmware???
If these are actual customers comments and not yuneec trolls I guess they have no need for the correct time being recorded on the ST16 recordings or the COG SSD and don't use the video recordings of the ST16 since both of the aspects are clearly broken.

A firmware update is not about adding new features, it's about fixing things which should never have been broken - ST16 can't retain the correct time even when manually input ??? GEEEEZ what morons.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TroyBoy