Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

H 480 Won't descend.

So I checked my hypothesis by pulling out my oldest and original 480 and ST 16. Sure enough, no elevator and lift off when in turtle. Moving the speed slider up got stick response but it was not normal and power was just low. Full rabbit behaved like turtle going up and down.

Upon landing, I checked hardware monitor. The stick showed signal all around but the behavior remained. A full shut off and quick squirt of air then DeoxIT got it back to normal behavior and proper power for take off in turtle.
a1232394aa9bd8a40200f743419da5fd.jpg

CC,

Had this happen to my H520. Would not descend to ground or shut down motors if I did get it to the ground, unless I moved the rate slider toward rabbit.

There’s a clue here Keith, as to what Craig is saying and I am “seconding that motion”. Checking hardware monitor, my throttle was not getting the full range. Moving to rabbit amplified what signal control there was enough to recover enough “travel” of the throttle to get down and stop the motors.

I went as far as ordering a spare joystick assembly in case it happened again. Must have scared the original as it suddenly started working as it should and has not acted up since. Yes, I could have tried cleaning, but I am one who believes spare parts on hand are never a bad thing.

Good luck figuring out the fix for yours, Keith.

Jeff

P.S. I should also mention (or repeat what Steve Carr keeps recommending) I now include a “stir the sticks” preflight routine, along with a regular check in hardware monitor.

The latter should warn us before an in-flight issue is experienced, rather than trying to explain “what went wrong”.

Last edited:
Reactions: KEITH KUHN
CC,

Had this happen to my H520. Would not descend to ground or shut down motors if I did get it to the ground, unless I moved the rate slider toward rabbit.

There’s a clue here Keith, as to what Craig is saying and I am “seconding that motion”. Checking hardware monitor, my throttle was not getting the full range. Moving to rabbit amplified what signal control there was enough to recover enough “travel” of the throttle to get down and stop the motors.

I went as far as ordering a spare joystick assembly in case it happened again. Must have scared the original as it suddenly started working as it should and has not acted up since. Yes, I could have tried cleaning, but I am one who believes spare parts on hand are never a bad thing.

Good luck figuring out the fix for yours, Keith.

Jeff

P.S. I should also mention (or repeat what Steve Carr keeps recommending) I now include a “stir the sticks” preflight routine, along with a regular check in hardware monitor.

The latter should warn us before an in-flight issue is experienced, rather than trying to explain “what went wrong”.

How are you Jeff ?
I took it out for a quick test flight I didn't do any calibrations or anything I just wanted to do some experimenting .I wasn't too worried about it flying away or anything so things went well and I kept it in rabbit mode when I was returning home manually.
Brought it down to about 10 feet took it up to 50 feet then a hundred . held my left stick down to descend and once again it started acting up again I hovered at about 20 25 feet and it just stayed there. I even noticed it started doing a little bit of toilet bowl
Action, so I got it stabilized at about 20 feet. I then flicked the return to home button. I was expecting it to rise to the hundred sixty five foot that I have it set at.. but it only rose up about 10 more feet . It finally came down to a height that I could grab a hold of the leg and shut off the props which is what I did .. I do have contact cleaner but before I fly any more in the next few days I will be getting out the telemetry files and hopefully somebody can read them for me. Thanks for corresponding.
KK

How are you Jeff ?
I took it out for a quick test flight I didn't do any calibrations or anything I just wanted to do some experimenting .I wasn't too worried about it flying away or anything so things went well and I kept it in rabbit mode when I was returning home manually.
Brought it down to about 10 feet took it up to 50 feet then a hundred . held my left stick down to descend and once again it started acting up again I hovered at about 20 25 feet and it just stayed there. I even noticed it started doing a little bit of toilet bowl
Action, so I got it stabilized at about 20 feet. I then flicked the return to home button. I was expecting it to rise to the hundred sixty five foot that I have it set at.. but it only rose up about 10 more feet . It finally came down to a height that I could grab a hold of the leg and shut off the props which is what I did .. I do have contact cleaner but before I fly any more in the next few days I will be getting out the telemetry files and hopefully somebody can read them for me. Thanks for corresponding.
KK

Hey Keith!

Just curious... have you checked the throttle movement via the Hardware monitor? If so, how close to zero does it reach when you are pulling down the throttle stick?

From your description of events, it almost sounds like your H doesn’t think the landing gear are down and thus doesn’t want to cooperate.

I think a chat with Yuneec is in order. Literally, via the chat feature if waiting on the phone is not desirable. Perhaps having a concise description ready that you can cut and paste into the chat window when connected to an agent can help speed up the process.

Will be waiting to read the resolution of your latest “adventure”.

Jeff

Hey Keith!

Just curious... have you checked the throttle movement via the Hardware monitor? If so, how close to zero does it reach when you are pulling down the throttle stick?

From your description of events, it almost sounds like your H doesn’t think the landing gear are down and thus doesn’t want to cooperate.

I think a chat with Yuneec is in order. Literally, via the chat feature if waiting on the phone is not desirable. Perhaps having a concise description ready that you can cut and paste into the chat window when connected to an agent can help speed up the process.

Will be waiting to read the resolution of your latest “adventure”.

Jeff

The throttle goes to 0
Right now there is no need to speak with yuneec. They are understaffed and overworked. The Drone is no longer under warranty. I am not in a
Hurry to get this minor glitch
Straightend out.
I will get back to you soon.
Stay tuned..
Go to YouTube and type in
KK Motion pictures yuneec

I also have read before on this forum that it may have to do something with trying to land in the turtle mode.

Maybe if you test fly and do not put the right slider all the way down into turtle but say just under the middle position?

I have had the same thing a couple of times.
Comes in fine until about 15 feet then refuses to come any lower.
Done it a couple of times and after wiggling sticks / turtle controls ect. it will respond slowly.
I just put it down to a quirk.
I suppose the landing gear theory makes sense ( for me ) as it was decending fine until about 15 feet.
Jim

I also have read before on this forum that it may have to do something with trying to land in the turtle mode.

Maybe if you test fly and do not put the right slider all the way down into turtle but say just under the middle position?

Hello
I'm going to cover all areas to try to figure out why this occurs. I'm going to try to send out the Telemetry files to see if somebody can diagnose what the problem may be. Thanks for replying.
Keith Kuhn

I have had the same thing a couple of times.
Comes in fine until about 15 feet then refuses to come any lower.
Done it a couple of times and after wiggling sticks / turtle controls ect. it will respond slowly.
I just put it down to a quirk.
I suppose the landing gear theory makes sense ( for me ) as it was decending fine until about 15 feet.
Jim

Yes I will try to keep you posted on this matter. Hopefully I can send out the files today and somebody can diagnose them for me.
Keith Kuhn

Mine did exactly what yours did.
I did the red button bump as you did..
Mine rose up as well. I almost started to take it out of the GPS mode but
Chose not to. I am going to do a lot
Of looking into it before I Fly again.
Keith Kuhn

I went on my computer to upload the files for my Typhoon H 480.that will
not decend. I have been logged out and it will not let me back in.
It said oops there's an error. I cannot at this time get ahold of an administrator. Wow everything turns into a big ordeal. Can anyone help.
Thanks. Keith Kuhn

Yes mine has done this on one occasion as well. I wouldn't say that makes it untrustworthy though - it is quite a rare occurrence, and eminently solvable - you just have to know how to deal with it when it happens. The key is not to panic, but I accept that is difficult not to do the first time this happens, especially if you were unaware it was a possibility... I certainly panicked initially, and that very much didn't help :)

There are several things you can do reported to work at one time or another...

1. Climb to about 100 ft and try coming down again. Repeat and see if it lets you descend past the invisible 'barrier'.
2. Cycle the landing gear.
3. Hold the throttle at minimum, and sometimes the craft will inch its way to the ground very slowly
4. RTH - this worked for me, but check you have GPS active and working before you call this Mode, and enough battery to handle a fast rise, and don't do it if there is any doubt about that.
5. Red button short presses (1 ft drop) are the most extreme solution, but tend to work every time.

When I contacted Yuneec tech support (UK) about this they reacted as if it was the first time they had heard of such a thing, and were unable to offer any speculation about why it happened without the telemetry. I was within warranty, and they offered to take a look for me, but instead I chose to monitor the situation, and haven't had a single repeat of it since the initial episode.

We
Should a fail to descend happen a quick landing solution for those just a little coordinated would be to elevate the H to a little over head height in Angle mode, hover, and grab one of the gear legs without trying to pull it down. Disarm motor as soon as you have a grasp of the gear leg.

Attn Pat
I am logged in on my phone to yuneec Pilots but I cannot get logged in on my computer for some odd reason. on my computer it keeps saying there's an error I tried to contact Steve carr .but no luck as of yet

On a computer you own you are the administrator but you have to log in as such.

Hello Pat R
I will try to log in later at least I am logged in on my phone.
Here is an update on Typhoon H not trustworthy.
I went out this morning and the first thing I did was a calibration on the
Accelerometer. I took it up for a flight everything went well, send it out to a distance of 800 feet. And then hit return to home and it came back beautifully. I landed it manually by putting the switch in angle mode, all went perfect.
Now I did a compass calibration, launched it up send it out everything works perfectly now. My next step is to completely reset my st16 controller to like-new condition. I
Saved the three files which e in question about the not descending.
so hopefully if I can log back in to yuneec pilots on my home computer I can send those out.
Thanks to all those who responded.
Keith Kuhn

Keith, if everything works perfectly now why are you going to reset the ST16???

I'm just going to start fresh rebind everything and start from the beginning . from all my experiences with this typhoon H and the other typhoon H drone so I've had I'm sure I will experience another glitch down the road somewhere. You know Murphy's Law what can go wrong will. Just like getting logged out on yuneec forum, it's happened before I don't know why now I have to try to get back in. so I can upload the three files in question about my Typhoon H that wouldn't descend
Keith

Keith,

One rule commands them all; if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

I’ve been following your threads since you first started and one thing is apparent above all others; if something can or is going to go wrong it will happen with your aircraft before any other, and may not ever happen again anywhere unless your aircraft is the one involved. I often think the more you mess with them the more issues you have. If something is working fine, don’t change anything.

Keith,

I concur with PatR and RD... keep flying for awhile and let everything shake out. If you encounter similar problems again, then sit back and map out your action plan.

Being in the customer support side of things for almost forty years (computers systems, peripherals, including PCs, et al) the last thing I ever consider, even when recommended by a "helpdesk" is to re-image or start over. Often there is a simple explanation not necessitating a full do-over.

I follow my own advice, believe it or not. I had my own issues when I first started with the H, and then the H520. Had I not been one with lots of tech experience, as in computers and software, I might have thought everything was amiss and I had faulty equipment. Sticking with it, and making sure calibrations were right AND flight conditions were good (paying attention to weather, KP, et al) my enjoyment has increased many times over. I no longer have the negative thoughts that something is going to go wrong. I anticipate, nonetheless, as every pilot should, but I say I can concentrating on flying and image capture rather than having my stomach in a knot.

Hope all your efforts eventually work out into the same "enjoyment" mentality, rather than fretting what might be wrong or go awry.

Hang in there!

Jeff

Keith,

One rule commands them all; if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

I’ve been following your threads since you first started and one thing is apparent above all others; if something can or is going to go wrong it will happen with your aircraft before any other, and may not ever happen again anywhere unless your aircraft is the one involved. I often think the more you mess with them the more issues you have. If something is working fine, don’t change anything.

I understand exactly what you're saying, so I know you were referring to my st16 controller why I want to reset it and start
Fresh. It is also good practice and it keeps the Mind Sharp.
I just hope perhaps somebody will read my three files to see what transpired when it did not want to descend.
Keith

Keith,

I concur with PatR and RD... keep flying for awhile and let everything shake out. If you encounter similar problems again, then sit back and map out your action plan.

Being in the customer support side of things for almost forty years (computers systems, peripherals, including PCs, et al) the last thing I ever consider, even when recommended by a "helpdesk" is to re-image or start over. Often there is a simple explanation not necessitating a full do-over.

I follow my own advice, believe it or not. I had my own issues when I first started with the H, and then the H520. Had I not been one with lots of tech experience, as in computers and software, I might have thought everything was amiss and I had faulty equipment. Sticking with it, and making sure calibrations were right AND flight conditions were good (paying attention to weather, KP, et al) my enjoyment has increased many times over. I no longer have the negative thoughts that something is going to go wrong. I anticipate, nonetheless, as every pilot should, but I say I can concentrating on flying and image capture rather than having my stomach in a knot.

Hope all your efforts eventually work out into the same "enjoyment" mentality, rather than fretting what might be wrong or go awry.

Hang in there!

Jeff

I understand where you're coming from, I have the time to put so what the heck

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smyers