Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

H 480 Won't descend.

To be candid, the only times I’ll ever use speeds below full on Rabbit is during in flight film work. At any other time I’ve found lower speeds to be more of a hindrance than an assist. For landing, simply stopping the descent a foot or two above the ground to hover and stabilize for a moment permits anyone with a decent level of thumb dexterity to touch down for landing as soft or hard as they want to. Of course that presumes they are performing a manual landing and not dependent on RTH to land the aircraft. The process is applicable to both the H and 920, with both having the capability to touch down very gently with Rabbit speed selected via the slider.

One person in this thread has a wealth of problem posts encompassing a litany of subjects where he proceeded to do exactly what he was advised not to do before his problems occurred. Topping that he has a desire to fly long range, something he has demonstrated he is not qualified to try due to physical and system comprehension limitations. Perhaps it’s just stubbornness but the fact remains that situations that are easily avoidable are things he seeks out to challenge. It has become, at least for me, a waste of time trying to assist him because regardless of what he’s told by anyone he insists on acting to the contrary, and shortly thereafter starts another unreliable product thread induced by his failure to follow simple directions.

Eagles. Eye
I wonder if you could tell me ? I.am confused about something.
It has to do with return to home.
If I launch my drone from one spot.
Then walk 40 ft to a different location, and flip the switch return to home is it supposed to return to where the st16 controller is , or where it was originally launched from.
Thanks. Keith

My H's have been sold... I am waiting out initial growing pains on the Plus, before purchase.

I must stick with my typhoon H 480 for quite a while . No plans on upgrading whatsoever, due to the fact I have learned no matter what type of drone you get your always going to have a few glitches here in there. DJI or whatever make you choose.
KK

I only used RTH a couple of times, but if I remember there are 2 scenarios:

1) If you have not lost control signal with the H, it will return to the current location of the ST-16.

2) If the H loses communication with the ST-16, the RTH will be automatically initiated, and the H will return to the last known location of the ST-16. Anyone with a less deficient memory than mine, please correct me if I'm wrong...

Reactions: PatR and KEITH KUHN

1) If you have not lost control signal with the H, it will return to the current location of the ST-16.

2) If the H loses communication with the ST-16, the RTH will be automatically initiated, and the H will return to the last known location of the ST-16. Anyone with a less deficient memory than mine, please correct me if I'm wrong...[/QUOTE
]
You answered my question perfectly.
KK

@KEITH KUHN

Also worth noting... if you initiate RTH without signal loss, it will return at the programmed altitude and auto-land, unless you switch back to Angle, from RTH.

If however, RTH is initiated because of a loss of control signal, it will RTH to the last known position of the H and hover, trying to re-acquire the control signal. It will only auto-land, if control signal is not re-established by the time the battery level is past the usual 2nd warning.

Reactions: KEITH KUHN
@KEITH KUHN

Also worth noting... if you initiate RTH without signal loss, it will return at the programmed altitude and auto-land, unless you switch back to Angle, from RTH.

If however, RTH is initiated because of a loss of control signal, it will RTH to the last known position of the H and hover, trying to re-acquire the control signal. It will only auto-land, if control signal is not re-established by the time the battery level is past the usual 2nd warning.

I actually had one Auto Land on me one time. I was lucky to have found it in the spark and towards my backyard

I actually had one Auto Land on me one time. I was lucky to have found it in the spark and towards my backyard

I meant Park behind my house.
I went searching for it and luckily some folks heard a beep in the park and I asked them whereabouts they said back there. I couldn't believe it it was sitting there waiting for me just blinking away and beeping. I thinks trees blocked the signal. But I was truly happy to have found it. When I first got my first typhoon H I made a lot of pilot error mistakes. Only two were manufacturer defects or flyaways. I am still learning.

2) If the H loses communication with the ST-16, the RTH will be automatically initiated, and the H will return to the last known location of the ST-16. Anyone with a less deficient memory than mine, please correct me if I'm wrong...
Absolutely correct, but I would add that in point two it will hover until control is reestablished and if not reestablished it will land at a low battery level.

I meant Park behind my house.
I went searching for it and luckily some folks heard a beep in the park and I asked them whereabouts they said back there. I couldn't believe it it was sitting there waiting for me just blinking away and beeping. I thinks trees blocked the signal. But I was truly happy to have found it. When I first got my first typhoon H I made a lot of pilot error mistakes. Only two were manufacturer defects or flyaways. I am still learning.
Having read all your posts, Keith, I have to concur with @PatR s observations. It seems that many of your issues are to some degree self inflicted. Flying behind trees and loosing control signal is a fundamental example that any competent drone pilot should strive to avoid. Messing around with the controller settings when they don't need to be messed around with is another example of causing yourself problems.

Please don't take what I've said in a bad way...we are only trying to help you. But you need to meet us half way and help yourself by taking the advice that has been given to you by some very good pilots on here who know what they are talking about.

Reactions: NorWiscPilot
Interesting development for me yesterday. Remember my H has only refused to come down once so far, in just over 100 flights ? Well in yesterday's session, both flights exhibited this behaviour again ! First one got stuck at 40 ft, and wouldn't come down any lower than that until I dropped the landing gear, and even then it would only descend incredibly slowly (though descend it did with throttle held to minimum). Now, I am aware of that 'feature' but not that it would ever stop my craft at 40 ft ! Isn't that normally about 12 ft where that happens ?

Anyway, I moved to another location for the second flight so the H had a chance to rest and cool down before I sent it up again. That flight went OK too, in terms of control and flight behaviour, but I found another problem as I was 'walking the hex'; that is to say the H was in D-pad forward procession mode, and I was walking behind it, manually altering yaw as it travelled forward so that it ultimately went in a very large circle around the glade I was exploring. After a few yaw inputs it became clear that the camera wasn't facing forwards any more - it was remaining pointed slightly off to the right, and then this condition remained even when right stick was stirred, and D-pad mode cancelled, and indeed it stayed like that until power down. All the time S2 was in top position, heading mode. A minor problem, but duly noted !

But now we had the landing problem again ! Gear was down this time, but the craft wouldn't go below 20 ft ! And the drift was back with a vengeance ! I didn't panic - I'm getting good at this now, so I cycled the landing gear, popped her up to 100 ft, and came down again, this time she would let me go as low as I liked, as fast as I liked - we seemed to be missing the graded descent of a normal landing. But the drift was pretty incredible now , and slightly speedier than it has been before. I released the sticks and waited for hover, but unusually, hover took a long time coming ! This rang alarm bells for me and I resolved to check my hardware monitor on the St-16 as soon as I landed - surely this level of drift was going to be caused by ropey output from aileron or similar ? But no, all stick controls were behaving flawlessly, and I tested them for a whole 5 minutes, where that continued to be the case. So that drift was not caused by sticks not returning to center, so what was it caused by I wonder ? I still had 'GPS lock', and the normal solid purple light with white flashes. Anyway, after allowing it to drift about 20 ft to see how far it would go, it eventually returned to hover and then I hand caught it without further problems.

I am going to get the telemetry from those flights and see if I can get to the bottom of what happened and why. Talking of which, found and solved another problem trying to get that. ONLY use the cable that Yuneec provide - any old USB C cable won't do ! :)

Update: Well, telemetry showed the reason for the drifting. 100% GPS loss - nothing more or less complicated than that. When I let it drift, and it stabilized, it simply got GPS back. What it didn't do, at any point, was send my controller a message that GPS was lost, and that light never stopped being solid purple, so some confusion remains !

Last edited:
Interesting development for me yesterday. Remember my H has only refused to come down once so far, in just over 100 flights ? Well in yesterday's session, both flights exhibited this behaviour again ! First one got stuck at 40 ft, and wouldn't come down any lower than that until I dropped the landing gear, and even then it would only descend incredibly slowly (though descend it did with throttle held to minimum). Now, I am aware of that 'feature' but not that it would ever stop my craft at 40 ft ! Isn't that normally about 12 ft where that happens ?

Anyway, I moved to another location for the second flight so the H had a chance to rest and cool down before I sent it up again. That flight went OK too, in terms of control and flight behaviour, but I found another problem as I was 'walking the hex'; that is to say the H was in D-pad forward procession mode, and I was walking behind it, manually altering yaw as it travelled forward so that it ultimately went in a very large circle around the glade I was exploring. After a few yaw inputs it became clear that the camera wasn't facing forwards any more - it was remaining pointed slightly off to the right, and then this condition remained even when right stick was stirred, and D-pad mode cancelled, and indeed it stayed like that until power down. All the time S2 was in top position, heading mode. A minor problem, but duly noted !

But now we had the landing problem again ! Gear was down this time, but the craft wouldn't go below 20 ft ! And the drift was back with a vengeance ! I didn't panic - I'm getting good at this now, so I cycled the landing gear, popped her up to 100 ft, and came down again, this time she would let me go as low as I liked, as fast as I liked - we seemed to be missing the graded descent of a normal landing. But the drift was pretty incredible now , and slightly speedier than it has been before. I released the sticks and waited for hover, but unusually, hover took a long time coming ! This rang alarm bells for me and I resolved to check my hardware monitor on the St-16 as soon as I landed - surely this level of drift was going to be caused by ropey output from aileron or similar ? But no, all stick controls were behaving flawlessly, and I tested them for a whole 5 minutes, where that continued to be the case. So that drift was not caused by sticks not returning to center, so what was it caused by I wonder ? I still had 'GPS lock', and the normal solid purple light with white flashes. Anyway, after allowing it to drift about 20 ft to see how far it would go, it eventually returned to hover and then I hand caught it without further problems.

I am going to get the telemetry from those flights and see if I can get to the bottom of what happened and why. Talking of which, found and solved another problem trying to get that. ONLY use the cable that Yuneec provide - any old USB C cable won't do ! :)

Update: Well, telemetry showed the reason for the drifting. 100% GPS loss - nothing more or less complicated than that. When I let it drift, and it stabilized, it simply got GPS back. What it didn't do, at any point, was send my controller a message that GPS was lost, and that light never stopped being solid purple, so some confusion remains !

Very interesting ,I experienced the drift as well. Stay in touch. We will get to the bottom of our minor glitches.
Keith Kuhn

Interesting.
I had an issue yesterday too. First flight of the day I launched it with 19 satellites seen with Kp at 2 and shortly after take off I could see that the aircraft was veering slightly to the right when trying to go directly forwards. Not a major problem to me since I could compensate for it, but when coming in to land I could see that the aircraft was 'toilet bowling'...slowly circling in a three or four meter circle. Hand caught it and on my next battery did a compass calibration and a bloody good stir of the sticks. Remaining flights of the day were flawless.

I think I am making progress here - I have gone the whole hog, and made full flight video with dashware telemetry overlays, and that has revealed some 'interesting' readings !
Not all the readings - I haven't yet worked out how to get error-state and GPS mode stats in there yet, which would show us when GPS failed, but I'm working on it...

So here's the weirdness. Before I launch I see my altitude is 0 ft, but when I start motors, that suddenly, and to my mind inexplicably, drops to -18 ft, then continues to fall as I rise !! Then we get some corresponding values as I bring it back down to just above ground level, and it stays concurrent for the rest of the flight, always about 36 ft down from where it actually was ! I'm guessing that might go some way to explaining why it wouldn't let me down without a struggle at the end of this flight (if it thought it was much nearer the ground than it was).

Of course I will link this video as soon as it has uploaded, but it's an 11 minute flight so won't be up 'til later today... but then we can all watch and wonder together ! :)

Last edited:
Civilian level GPS precision is deliberately degraded. Regardless of how many satellites are in view a variance of 2 or 3 meters from true position is normal for most GPS devices.

Having a high satellite count is only the first part if the position fix. How well GPS signal is received and processed is also important. HDOP and CEP values are what is reviewed to determine how well a GPS unit is working. A lot of different things can impact GPS performance, including just the time of day. A civilian airport in New Zealand employs a GPS position generated instrument approach. The accuracy of that approach profile can vary by several hundred feet depending on the time of day.

Reactions: AeroJ
@AeroJ

Altitude is determined by barometric pressure in the H. It is not very accurate.

If you're flying in angle mode there should be NOTHING that keeps you from landing unless the pot is oxidized on the left side. The only exception is if you're flying with OA on or if you have the gear up on an H with RealSense.

Have you checked the Hardware Monitor?

I'm confident all these points have been covered in this thread previously or in related threads.

- Altitude is determined by barometric pressure in the H. It is not very accurate.

I see :/ I suppose there is no way to calibrate that ?

- If you're flying in angle mode there should be NOTHING that keeps you from landing unless the pot is oxidized on the left side. The only exception is if you're flying with OA on or if you have the gear up on an H with RealSense.

No realsense for me, and no OA switched on...

- Have you checked the Hardware Monitor?

Yes - for 5 minutes after landing - no problems there.

I'm confident all these points have been covered in this thread previously or in related threads

Indeed. We're just trying to work out if that is connected to the occasional 'won't descend' problems we're having from time to time...

Civilian level GPS precision is deliberately degraded. Regardless of how many satellites are in view a variance of 2 or 3 meters from true position is normal for most GPS devices.

Having a high satellite count is only the first part if the position fix. How well GPS signal is received and processed is also important. HDOP and CEP values are what is reviewed to determine how well a GPS unit is working. A lot of different things can impact GPS performance, including just the time of day. A civilian airport in New Zealand employs a GPS position generated instrument approach. The accuracy of that approach profile can vary by several hundred feet depending on the time of day.

density altitude

- Altitude is determined by barometric pressure in the H. It is not very accurate.

I see :/ I suppose there is no way to calibrate that ?

- Have you checked the Hardware Monitor?

Yes - for 5 minutes after landing - no problems there.

Sorry, no way to calibrate or improve the accuracy of the barometer.

Check the hardware monitor before flight. "Stir" the sticks before flight to possibly remove some oxidation.

By any chance were you in "Turtle" instead of "Rabbit" on the descent?

I think I am making progress here - I have gone the whole hog, and made full flight video with dashware telemetry overlays, and that has revealed some 'interesting' readings !
Not all the readings - I haven't yet worked out how to get error-state and GPS mode stats in there yet, which would show us when GPS failed, but I'm working on it...

So here's the weirdness. Before I launch I see my altitude is 0 ft, but when I start motors, that suddenly, and to my mind inexplicably, drops to -18 ft, then continues to fall as I rise !! Then we get some corresponding values as I bring it back down to just above ground level, and it stays concurrent for the rest of the flight, always about 36 ft down from where it actually was ! I'm guessing that might go some way to explaining why it wouldn't let me down without a struggle at the end of this flight (if it thought it was much nearer the ground than it was).

Of course I will link this video as soon as it has uploaded, but it's an 11 minute flight so won't be up 'til later today... but then we can all watch and wonder together ! :)

Hi Àero
thanks for the update.
I am sure that is what is happening to mine. The next time you fly take notice if it drifts at say for example 60 ft or 80 feet.. when mine was at that altitude I did not notice any drift or toilet bowl issue. the next time you fly see if yours does it at same as mine did. We will continue to search for an answer.

TE="FlushVision, post: 148377, member: 3035"]Interesting.
I had an issue yesterday too. First flight of the day I launched it with 19 satellites seen with Kp at 2 and shortly after take off I could see that the aircraft was veering slightly to the right when trying to go directly forwards. Not a major problem to me since I could compensate for it, but when coming in to land I could see that the aircraft was 'toilet bowling'...slowly circling in a three or four meter circle. Hand caught it and on my next battery did a compass calibration and a bloody good stir of the sticks. Remaining flights of the day were flawless.[/QUOTE]

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bancadoithuongads