Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

H 480 Won't descend.

Keith...Steve posted the video on how to fix this. Please watch and follow. Everyone here has been repeatedly saying it’s your sticks not properly behaving which require user maintenance... cleaning (which you say you did) followed by a proper calibration.

You’ve found the problem. The orange lines have to be centered on those sticks so please try calibration of the ST following the excellent tutorial posted here. All of us have done this and there is no mystery and you don’t own an oddball 480 that is the somehow impossible to get behaving.

It’s a learning curve and may take more then one attempt to get proper centering. Don’t give up if your first calibration attempt does not get 100% correct stick behavior. It can take more cleaning, exercise, and calibration to solve as you have the typical funky dirty pot condition everyone here keeps telling you they also have a experienced and solved. If you look at your own thread history, I brought this up over a week ago followed by multiple posts from many pilots saying the same thing.

Keith...Steve posted the video on how to fix this. Please watch and follow. Everyone here has been repeatedly saying it’s your sticks not properly behaving which require user maintenance... cleaning (which you say you did) followed by a proper calibration.

You’ve found the problem. The orange lines have to be centered on those sticks so please try calibration of the ST following the excellent tutorial posted here. All of us have done this and there is no mystery and you don’t own an oddball 480 that is the somehow impossible to get behaving.

It’s a learning curve and may take more then one attempt to get proper centering. Don’t give up if your first calibration attempt does not get 100% correct stick behavior. It can take more cleaning, exercise, and calibration to solve as you have the typical funky dirty pot condition everyone here keeps telling you they also have a experienced and solved. If you look at your own thread history, I brought this up over a week ago followed by multiple posts from many pilots saying the same thing.

Are you referring to the video that you guys have sent to me where Steve cleans the pots ? if so I will watch it again . I don't recall in that video him showing how to make the adjustments but I will watch it again. Keith

There is no to see later. It’s either centering now or not. What was the result? If it’s done, then you can go into the settings and look at just that stick. What is it now? If you’ve got all the proper centering and voltage levels then it’s good and will fly as expected now and no more slow or stoped descent. Mystery solved.

Reactions: KEITH KUHN
There is no to see later. It’s either centering now or not. What was the result? If it’s done, then you can go into the settings and look at just that stick. What is it now? If you’ve got all the proper centering and voltage levels then it’s good and will fly as expected now and no more slow or stoped descent. Mystery solved.

OK
here it is in a nutshell.
I have done everything - from
A. to Z I think it needs a new
Joy stick. The Orange Line continues to hang to the left indicating left aileron. it will not stay centered.
Keith

If you’ve got all the proper centering and voltage levels then it’s good and will fly as expected now and no more slow or stoped descent. Mystery solved.

The trouble with that is that I have direct evidence that this is not always the case. It is possible for the 'refusal to land' thing to occur even if your sticks are flawless and outputting correctly, like mine were both before and after the flights where it happened to me. What I did have was 40 ft of barometer error. But @PatR says this cannot lead to landing problems, and I am inclined to defer to his experience, but if that is the case, then we are back to square 1 about why this happens - in my case at least, it is not the sticks causing this.

Also, I have to ask, if it is not using the barometer to alter its descent characteristics, then what is it using to give us the normal graded 3-stage descent ?

Last edited:
The trouble with that is that I have direct evidence that this is not always the case. It is possible for the 'refusal to land' thing to occur even if your sticks are flawless and outputting correctly, like mine were both before and after the flights where it happened to me. What I did have was 40 ft of barometer error. But @PatR says this cannot lead to landing problems, and I am inclined to defer to his experience, but if that is the case, then we are back to square 1 about why this happens - in my case at least, it is not the sticks causing this.

Hi Aero
I agree it is not the sticks causing the problem as to why it will not descend,
the drift I can understand where the aileron is hanging up to the left.
I do have another typhoon H with realsense. perhaps I will dig that out and see if the same problem occurs with that drone. if it does it may be attributed to where I am flying it at which is in my backyard. Only
time will tell and this is why I am going to be very very careful with it.
if I come up with anything new I will be sure to let you guys know.
Keith

How does it behave when “bounced” by flicking the stick up and down? Do you see any momentary centering then it drifts off? I’m assuming since it’s descent that the orange line stays above center. Can you by any chance post a screen shot of the J4 settings screen? It’s possible to input expo values that move the travel curve off the center. Any chance you’ve played with those values? Maybe reset J4 to default and recalibrate? The reason I’m so persistent here is I got a used 480 that did this and it took all of the above to bring around to working. The stick being bad deduction still needs unfortunately further attempts before declaring it the problem. I’d be happy to send you a working ST in exchange for yours if you’d like. I’ve got 6 of them now as I’m kind of a drone hoarder now. You’d get a fully working to original spec one or one I’ve input better flight and gimbal control into. It’d cost you shipping to and from Tucson, AZ. Or you can ship me yours and I’ll fix it for a reasonable rate quicker then any “authorized” facility. You need to get past this and regain your trust so you can enjoy flying and filming again.

How does it behave when “bounced” by flicking the stick up and down? Do you see any momentary centering then it drifts off? I’m assuming since it’s descent that the orange line stays above center. Can you by any chance post a screen shot of the J4 settings screen? It’s possible to input expo values that move the travel curve off the center. Any chance you’ve played with those values? Maybe reset J4 to default and recalibrate? The reason I’m so persistent here is I got a used 480 that did this and it took all of the above to bring around to working. The stick being bad deduction still needs unfortunately further attempts before declaring it the problem. I’d be happy to send you a working ST in exchange for yours if you’d like. I’ve got 6 of them now as I’m kind of a drone hoarder now. You’d get a fully working to original spec one or one I’ve input better flight and gimbal control into. It’d cost you shipping to and from Tucson, AZ. Or you can ship me yours and I’ll fix it for a reasonable rate quicker then any “authorized” facility. You need to get past this and regain your trust so you can enjoy flying and filming again.

I actually did bounce the stick up and down several times.
occasionally it would go to the center. but more than anything it would hang to the left. feel free to ask all the questions you like.
Keith
I will be back in about a half hour

Kieth, Just purchase new controls sticks!
It will make you life much so easier so you don't have to worry, and you'll sleep better.:rolleyes:

Kieth, Just purchase new controls sticks!
It will make you life much so easier so you don't have to worry, and you'll sleep better.:rolleyes:
LOL Can you buy 1 or do you have to buy both ? I will have to look them up where do you recommend getting them from ?

Yes, the H definitely slows down descent rate when it reaches about 10m, (on barometer that is, not phisically) and then starts descending slower, this could cause some to believe it has stopped descending if baro hits the "estimated 10m" when the aircraft is still way high.

As one who has had that "she wont come down" scenario occur, I can definitely state... any height outside of physical reach of the landing gear for a hand catch, is too high... :(

Yay! I am sane after all...yipee.

Whoa there Hoss... let's not jump to conclusions... ;)

Craigcam said to Keith Kunn
. . . I’d be happy to send you a working ST in exchange for yours if you’d like. I’ve got 6 of them now as I’m kind of a drone hoarder now. You’d get a fully working to original spec one or one I’ve input better flight and gimbal control into. It’d cost you shipping to and from Tucson, AZ. Or you can ship me yours and I’ll fix it for a reasonable rate quicker then any “authorized” facility. You need to get past this and regain your trust so you can enjoy flying and filming again.

It is posts from people like @CraigCam and so many, many, others on this forum that give freely of their expertise, knowledge and time, to help those who need it; that make this such a great forum. I dunno, but if I had been struggling for a week or longer to either clean my sticks and re-cal them or just replace them all together then; a recognized member with necessary skill to do so (at nearly no cost) made an offer like this to me . . . I might be inclined to thank him - and then I'd take the deal. ;)

As one who has had that "she wont come down" scenario occur, I can definitely state... any height outside of physical reach of the landing gear for a hand catch, is too high... :(

Whoa there Hoss... let's not jump to conclusions... ;)

Hi gang
I stumbled upon a video it has nothing to do with descending but it does have to do with the aileron not lining up properly. it is on YouTube I will see if I can get it to you momentarily. it has to do with fixing the potentiometer not replacing it.
stay tuned if you are interested.
Keith

LOL Can you buy 1 or do you have to buy both ? I will have to look them up where do you recommend getting them from ?

Keith,

Yuneec is your friend, as well as many dealers such as Vertigo and Carolina drones/dronz. Replacement parts can be ordered direct form their respective web sites.

To answer your 1 or both... the assemblies are not linked together, therefore ordering separately is an option.

Jeff

Last edited:
Hi gang
I stumbled upon a video it has nothing to do with descending but it does have to do with the aileron not lining up properly. it is on YouTube I will see if I can get it to you momentarily. it has to do with fixing the potentiometer not replacing it.
stay tuned if you are interested.
Keith

I WILL BE SENDING YOU A VIDEO I JUST MADE
ON THE J4 AILERON IN CHANNEL SETTINGS
STAY TUNED. IN THE MEAN TIME THIS GUY
HAS THIS VIDEO

Keith,

Yuneec is your friend, as well as many dealers such as Vertigo and Carolina drones/dronz. Replacement parts can be ordered direct form their respective web sites.

To answer your 1 or both... the assemblies are not like together, therefore ordering separately is an option.

Jeff

HEY JEFF HAVE A LOOK
KEITH KUHN

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smyers