Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!
Time to eat some crow.

As you all know, I was very sure....100% sure in fact that it was firmware. Today, I can now say it is most likely user error as it is in my case. The Typhoon H has 4 modes for the controller joystick setup. I was in mode 2 from the day I got it. Then, right after the update, I changed it to mode 4 so I could basically steer it with the right joystick.

I found it odd that all of the people that had the same problem, also seemed to have it tip to the right as well. It wasn't until I read a post about adjusting the sensitivity of the sticks that it dawned on me what was wrong.

What happens in mode 4 is this.

When you are about to land, you are using your left thumb to lower the H. The sticks are so sensitive that when you have the left stick all the way to the bottom, it is very easy to be causing a slight right push on the stick without even noticing you are doing it. This will cause the H to list to the right and want to tip.

If you use another mode like 4, make sure you practice a lot with it. Be careful when landing to keep the stick centered at the bottom. A slight push to the right can cause a lot of damage.

And finally I want to say I'm sorry for being so stubborn about this, but I have some Scottish ancestry in me, and being stubborn is part of it. So with that I'm sss.....ssssss...fak.....I'm sorry. There, I freaking said it!

hi Murray!

No worries... the bottom line is you found the real cause for your issues. Thank you for letting us know the real cause in your case. You gave us all a reminder of something to pay attention to during landing.

Also, hopefully yet another reminder to us all that while the real cause of unexpected or unwanted behaviors may seem obvious at the start, we have to be careful to make sure we validate to make sure all possible factors are accounted for, at least as much as possible. Reputations are one the line - both pilots and equipment.

Happy flying!

Jeff

Reactions: Murray Martz
Today I landed my H Pro by killing the motors mid flight a few inches from the ground.
Turned out better than I thought it would (smooth landing).
The only strange thing I noticed was the motors appeared to be locked up and making noises after it landed.
I cycled the power and it was okay again.
I tested it out with the Sim first, then tried it yesterday. It does work rather well. Hand catch will be next.

Reactions: Niblett
hi Murray!

No worries... the bottom line is you found the real cause for your issues. Thank you for letting us know the real cause in your case. You gave us all a reminder of something to pay attention to during landing.

Also, hopefully yet another reminder to us all that while the real cause of unexpected or unwanted behaviors may seem obvious at the start, we have to be careful to make sure we validate to make sure all possible factors are accounted for, at least as much as possible. Reputations are one the line - both pilots and equipment.

Happy flying!

Jeff
It was a month of trying everything and ruling out anything at all. So glad it's finally figured out. Pretty sure most with the problem are causing it, but just don't realize it.

Reactions: NorWiscPilot
I just flew my H for very first time today. Made 2 good landings. 3rd time it got squirrely and flipped over. Yikes!

I did update the ST16 before flying... Had OA switch off entire time. Speed lever was at full Turtle when it occurred. Busted a Prop and camera mount had 3 of 4 rubber shock grommets come loose.

I just flew my H for very first time today. Made 2 good landings. 3rd time it got squirrely and flipped over. Yikes!
I did update the ST16 before flying... Had OA switch off entire time. Speed lever was at full Turtle when it occurred. Busted a Prop and camera mount had 3 of 4 rubber shock grommets come loose.
Take off and landing can be difficult with any aircraft. If a landing doesn't feel right, immediately take it back up to 20' of so and try again. You have to train your mind to be prepared to abort a landing so you don't get sucked into a bad one.
You can also practice the red button landing. Another Use for the Start/Stop button.

Reactions: Rsh88
As a former pilot it is best landing your craft facing into the wind. If you get "squirrely" go around make another attempt as Steve Carr mentioned

Reactions: PatR and Rsh88
Take off and landing can be difficult with any aircraft. If a landing doesn't feel right, immediately take it back up to 20' of so and try again. You have to train your mind to be prepared to abort a landing so you don't get sucked into a bad one.
You can also practice the red button landing. Another Use for the Start/Stop button.
Thanks... I got the camera shocks all reinstalled after some laborious trial & error with needle-nose pliers and a very small screwdriver. Anyone know why there are only 2 hard plastic strut pieces that go inside the rubber shocks? 4 rubber shocks, but only 2 plastic strut "rods"? I noticed that even the repair kits sold appear to come with 4 rubber shocks and 2 struts....

What version of the firmware is causing the landing issue? I just ordered an H and that would be good info to have...thanks

Thanks... I got the camera shocks all reinstalled after some laborious trial & error with needle-nose pliers and a very small screwdriver. Anyone know why there are only 2 hard plastic strut pieces that go inside the rubber shocks? 4 rubber shocks, but only 2 plastic strut "rods"? I noticed that even the repair kits sold appear to come with 4 rubber shocks and 2 struts....
Their job is to let go under pressure in the event of a crash to hopefully cause less damage to the camera if any. You can also use loose zip ties for the same thing, just they don't completely let go.

Be sure to land at appropriate distance from any metal (sheets, columns, cables, reinforcemets in concrete, manhole covers).
Be at least 2 mtrs (6 ft) away.

The vicinity of metal can (will) cause drift.

Another source of drift is your motors getting slightly off level over time. Put the props on and place the H upside down on a flat level surface. Hand spin the blades and make sure none touch the surface. If one does, twist the motor arm and pod gently opposite the direction it tilted. I’ve found this needs to be checked and was the source of a slow counter clockwise yaw in hover I had.

Good, helpful post CraigCam!
I've done a few landings on moving boats with my Typhoon H. When the landing area was not level, I ran into hopping issues and it would NOT stop with the red button until the machine was very close to level. It kinda hopped around on the deck.
This was full manual mode GPS off in settings.
Also, if you're catching the H as landing, it reacts to the red button differently if you're influencing its position. I've had more consistent easier catches using the red button while barely touching the landing gear.

I've been flying my T H480 for a little less than a year but I'd like to add my 2 cents..

Every less than successful landing I've had has been pilot error. My own dang fault. It's cost me a few props and having Carolina Dronz put my CGO3+ back to working condition (quickly and at a reasonable cost).

Most of my bad landings were bad control of the stick. They are sensitive and it took me a while to learn to finesse the stick on landing. Another mistake I've made is not paying attention to the wind direction.

I've learned and almost all my landings now are smooth as butter. I can even land easily using the red button when conditions call for it.

Regards,
Ron

Last edited:
I can even land easily using the red button when conditions call for it.
The red button landing is the way to go when conditions are poor......wind, unlevel ground, tall weeds and deep snow.
it reacts to the red button differently if you're influencing its position.
Exactly. The accelerometers are telling the FC to level up so the FC ignores the red button. But if red is pushed and held, it overrides the accelerometer input and it will shut down. That's also the reason to use Mr. Red when landings are going to be troublesome.

If I may add one other thing I've learned. I rarely land and leave the props idling. I go for the red button quickly after the landing.

The only time I'll idle the props after landing is IF I'm going to lift off quickly again. Generally I only land when the battery is getting low.

Reactions: PatR
I wouldn't try that on a bet!!!! :D

I was in the Navy and thought carrier pilots were insane. My Air Force buddies certainly thought so.

Reactions: tcwhite
This is why I hand catch (carefully) every time I can. With my last round of Compass/GPS issues and the toilet bowling it caused, it was all pilot skill and time behind sticks that got it down safely. The thing that helped the most though was the power button. For some reason when close enough to the ground this stopped any tendency to skate along the ground. So while I am a huge proponent of the hand grab and always have been, it’s good to practice an actual landing every once in awhile just so you’re ready when you need to use it. The power button landing is an awesome feature and everyone should get familiar with it so when it’s needed for whatever reason, you know what to expect.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval