Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Murray Martz

Staff member
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
*****As this thread progressed, and while I was sure that it was a firmware update that caused my problem, it was only user error. It all gets explained on page 2 at comment #38 as I end up eating some crow.*****

This is mostly a rant.

I can now say with 100% certainty, that what is the cause of the Typhoon H to flip over, or roll over to one side while landing, is caused by the last firmware update. I know of all the things that have been posted on here about it. I have read it all, and been involved in some of the discussions, as well as the possible remedies people have put out there. After today though, it is the firmware.

A friend of mine liked the drone I have after hearing me rave about it. After seeing the footage and the way it flew, he bought one as they were on sale. So we went out today to do some flying as I have 3 new batteries I wanted to test out. I made 12 short flights that were good with no issues, and his were also fine. But here is the difference, he has the previous firmware, and mine has the current.

Every landing I did, no matter how many different ways I tried to land ( 12 ), they all resulted in the drone flipping to one side and busting a prop each time, thank goodness for the spare blades I no longer have. But when we landed the drone he has, the H set down like a gentle feather.

I remember when I first got my H, it had the old firmware. I could land it like I was landing on feathers, you could bring it down ever so slowly, inching it till touch down. New firmware.....KAPOW! We kept landing and taking off with his without a hitch, mine.....KAPOW!

So people can say and believe what they want, it is the firmware that is doing it, perhaps it is not as aggressive on every H, but with mine it is very aggressive. An Actual landing is now out of the case, going to have to learn to catch it.

BTW....yes, everything was calibrated before flying, and between flights. Nothing is or was messed up in the ST16. Wind conditions were minimal, and temp outside was good.

Time to get on the phone and open a discussion with Yuneec I'm thinking.

Just my two Canadian cents.
Murray

Reactions: Rsh88
Wierd I have over 100 flights only flopped over once when I first flew because I left OA turned on.

Wierd I have over 100 flights only flopped over once when I first flew because I left OA turned on.
You along with many others had no problems. It would seem to me that it did not affect all the H out there. As to why that is, I don't know as yet. But the two that were now tested say different, as the new one gives me the baseline.

I have found that when landing you must hold the throttle down until it goes into idle mode. I think this is a minor change as I never noticed this until the new firmware. Previously, when it touched down, I'd let go of the throttle and it would go into idle mode -- no issue -- but in most recent flights with new firmware, I've experienced it not going into idle mode and begin to take off again. As long as the throttle is held down, it's fine. With that said, if the bird is tipping after landing, I'd have to ask if it is truly in idle mode. If not and it's going back into flight mode and gyro is off just enough, perhaps it's whats causing the tip. Just a guess. The other thing I learned is in winds, always land with one of the landing gear perpendicular to the wind. Doesn't sound like that's the issue in your case though. Work with Yuneec -- will be interested to see what you or Yuneec learns. Thanks for posting --- something to keep an eye on.

I have also noticed this, after landing on the latest firmware I need to hold down the throttle right at the bottom after it's touched down for at least 3 seconds or so until it goes into idle mode. Only then can I carefully bring the throttle stick back to centre before stopping motors.

Also a good positive committed landing helps. Really commit to the spot and almost bounce it into the ground so the accelerometer knows it's landed. Otherwise it has the potential to gently move, catch on things and generally get confused...

Yes I believe it's also (the last firmware) the reason why my OA fails causing problems when landing even though the OA is off.
What I found as a work around is to shutoff OA altogether even before flight. It still gives a failure messages but my landings are better.

This is mostly a rant.

I can now say with 100% certainty, that what is the cause of the Typhoon H to flip over, or roll over to one side while landing, is caused by the last firmware update. I know of all the things that have been posted on here about it. I have read it all, and been involved in some of the discussions, as well as the possible remedies people have put out there. After today though, it is the firmware.

A friend of mine liked the drone I have after hearing me rave about it. After seeing the footage and the way it flew, he bought one as they were on sale. So we went out today to do some flying as I have 3 new batteries I wanted to test out. I made 12 short flights that were good with no issues, and his were also fine. But here is the difference, he has the previous firmware, and mine has the current.

Every landing I did, no matter how many different ways I tried to land ( 12 ), they all resulted in the drone flipping to one side and busting a prop each time, thank goodness for the spare blades I no longer have. But when we landed the drone he has, the H set down like a gentle feather.

I remember when I first got my H, it had the old firmware. I could land it like I was landing on feathers, you could bring it down ever so slowly, inching it till touch down. New firmware.....KAPOW! We kept landing and taking off with his without a hitch, mine.....KAPOW!

So people can say and believe what they want, it is the firmware that is doing it, perhaps it is not as aggressive on every H, but with mine it is very aggressive. An Actual landing is now out of the case, going to have to learn to catch it.

BTW....yes, everything was calibrated before flying, and between flights. Nothing is or was messed up in the ST16. Wind conditions were minimal, and temp outside was good.

Murray
Hi I always practise hand catching!

I have found that when landing you must hold the throttle down until it goes into idle mode. I think this is a minor change as I never noticed this until the new firmware. Previously, when it touched down, I'd let go of the throttle and it would go into idle mode -- no issue -- but in most recent flights with new firmware, I've experienced it not going into idle mode and begin to take off again. As long as the throttle is held down, it's fine. With that said, if the bird is tipping after landing, I'd have to ask if it is truly in idle mode. If not and it's going back into flight mode and gyro is off just enough, perhaps it's whats causing the tip. Just a guess. The other thing I learned is in winds, always land with one of the landing gear perpendicular to the wind. Doesn't sound like that's the issue in your case though. Work with Yuneec -- will be interested to see what you or Yuneec learns. Thanks for posting --- something to keep an eye on.
Been there, done that. Stick down, idle down, still flipped. Even flipped when I tried to hit the kill button. Not new to this issue by any means. But yup, it's the firmware causing the glitch. People just need to accept that it it not pilot error.

Yes I believe it's also (the last firmware) the reason why my OA fails causing problems when landing even though the OA is off.
What I found as a work around is to shutoff OA altogether even before flight. It still gives a failure messages but my landings are better.
I never use OA, it's flat prairie here.

@Murray Martz have you tried a kill switch landing?
Also, was this H one of the first produced? Have you checked the FC version?
Hey Steve. Yup, his and mine are first gen. I also did the kill switch. I tried everything we all recommended to others with the issue. I think I am going to try and force the tablet and camera back to original and see from there.

OK, I also need to let everyone know what kind of an idiot I am. After my first crash months ago, I bought the prop guards. Guess which guy named Murray hasn't bothered to put them on...........

Reactions: Dr Delta and Jester
I dont think that anyone was saying it is pilot error. They were just trying to provide you with things that they have noticed since the update. Sorry if you feel a little slighted.

Reactions: samsflite
I dont think that anyone was saying it is pilot error. They were just trying to provide you with things that they have noticed since the update. Sorry if you feel a little slighted.
No worries, I don't. I know that when we have talked about this in the past. We have found it to be user error due to lack of knowledge about the ST16 and Obstacle Avoidance with new users. I just wanted to make sure people know that it, for the most part, is not their fault. It was a glitchy update in the first place. The removed key things and added others.

Been there, done that. Stick down, idle down, still flipped. Even flipped when I tried to hit the kill button. Not new to this issue by any means. But yup, it's the firmware causing the glitch. People just need to accept that it it not pilot error.
Meant to also say, not pilot error all the time.

If only one or two people out of hundreds have problems after a firmware update, just how likely is it the firmware was the source of the problem?

This is mostly a rant.

Murray
Hi Murray I have said on a couple of occasions I have a 500+, a 5004K and 2 typhoon H and never done an update on any of them and never had an issue, it seems most times you read someone has an issue is after an update

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wccannabis