Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

H520 near High Voltage Power Lines

Reaction score
Hi,
I have a video / photo shoot this week at a golf course.
Some of the holes they have asked to have filmed start or end under or near some high voltage power lines.
I've heard mixed stories of flying drones near, under and over such cables.
Some people say its fine and reference how they have done it for actual power line companies.
Some say it has caused problems.
Does anyone have any experience as to possible safe distance I can fly an H520 to such power lines?

I can not speak for the H520.
I have flown my H480 under/over the real high tension power lines (ones on big towers)
I was maybe 5 feet off the ground going under, and a good 50 feet or better going over.
I stayed in the middle of the towers. While id did not notice any ill affects, I was scared crazy going over them. hard to gauge the height of the wires vs my altitude.
As long as you do not get real close their should not be a problem. Get within 20 feet or so of the actual wires, it will make things very interesting.
The high voltage ones WILL arc towards the aircraft if you get too close. The towers at ground level should be 100% safe, people walk by them all the time.

Reactions: viscount
I have been as close as 20 feet horizontal and flying over at a higher altitudes, but I have plenty of experience to be doltish and get to close. I have not flown next to the huge power distribution lines. It is best to avoid any lines if possible.

Thanks, @BobW55 @AH-1G - I'll suggest to the client we arrange some shots differently and avoid the situation.
Not something I want to experiment with 'on the job'. Cheers.

Along the same thread.
Anyone had experience with cell phone towers?
Got a customer who needs to map the tower at around 5m with the E90.
His P4 displayed erratic behaviour once he lowered to infringe of one of the telcos panels...
Thoughts???

Don't put the aircraft directly in front of an antenna. Stay a little high, low, or to the side.

Don't put the aircraft directly in front of an antenna. Stay a little high, low, or to the side.
How are you supposed to do that if you have to map it?
Do a centre point of interest do the loop. Drop down do the loop drop down do the loop.
So I suppose you need to have the camera pointing down a little so you remain above the antenna centre... Then on the next loop down point it up slightly?

I dunno[emoji54]
WOW!!!!
That's got to be up there with there Fonz saying he was Wwwwrooong.
Nice to know Pat that there are some things you don't know :p

The difference is I’ll always fess up to being wrong, and when I don’t know you’ll be so advised[emoji6]

Friend does tower inspections with high end stuff. He sends up a cheap, disposable quad, which for him means Phantom or similar to test the conditions. If the test aircraft has problems he doesn’t fly and coordinates with the tower authority.

Reactions: Haydn
Just a PSA, used to fly stuff that broadcast video on 2.4, which is the C2 frequency for the H, 520, and 920. The system was RFI/EMI shielded. Learned the hard way there are groups and people that employ very high power 2.4 transmitters that are capable of washing out others using 2.4 over 3 miles away.

That's the most normal thing in the world. In Europe in almost all countries there are 25 mW maximum power when emitting, if you want to transmit with more power you have to get the amateur radio license.

In the USA there are 100mW (correct me if I am wrong) and as it is emitted with more power the idea arose to change the firmware of the European cameras to the American version.

Then reality says that in any drone of a decent size there is no one that emits less than 600mW at 5.8Ghz. In the USA at 1000 and 2000mW in 1.2 and 1.3Ghz. Differences in what is allowed and what is done..... :eek::eek:

Hi,
I have a video / photo shoot this week at a golf course.
Some of the holes they have asked to have filmed start or end under or near some high voltage power lines.
I've heard mixed stories of flying drones near, under and over such cables.
Some people say its fine and reference how they have done it for actual power line companies.
Some say it has caused problems.
Does anyone have any experience as to possible safe distance I can fly an H520 to such power lines?

I have had no issues flying near high voltage powerlines, I tried it first with my Autell X Star Premium and then with the H 520 flew right between the lines, in my location they are very close to the ground only about 30 feet high.

Reactions: journeyman
Depending on many factors and not always on height the towers can be from 15 to 55m high. They are then classified into low, medium and high voltage. Regulations may vary from one country to another, but they are generally the same.

With 10m (30ft) they can be low voltage and then the problem is minimized a lot. Rather than electromagnetic interferences, the danger is the electric arc that can form between the lines and the aircraft and that distance is reduced to as much voltage as they transport at that moment.

One way to get an idea of the voltage is to count the disk isolators on each line, usually those glass discs, the more insulators, the more voltage. They can be 6 and 10 inches. Depending on can mean each disk insulator 10000Volt. To follow the example, 3 disk isolators would indicate a maximum voltage of 30000 volts.

I wouldn't trust myself too much by getting too close to the lines. I have been very scared, working with heavy machinery, and asking the electrical technicians at what distance I could approach the lines with my excavator arm. It is better to be prudent...................

I am not a connoisseur in the matter, far from it, if someone who understands these things wants to comment on something, it would be ideal.

There's no reason to be guessing about this stuff. Pick up the phone and call the area electrical supplier to find out exactly what you're going to be dealing with.

Reactions: Haydn

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval