Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

H920 replacement battery

I have found these and fit the battery box in a pair, any thoughts?

Dualsky ECO-S LiPo Battery, 5200mAh 6S 25c

Capacity (mAh) 5200
Voltage (V)22.2
Energy (Wh)115.4
Weight (g)725
Dimensions (L x W x T)152 x 45 x 41 mm
Wiring12AWG (DC3)
Max Cont. Discharge25C
Max Cont. Current (A)130
Max Cont. Output (W)2886
Max Charge Rate 4C

Regards,

15% more amperage than the 4500 mAh I've tested, but also 30% more weight. Not sure if this will translate in longer flight times...

I see this brand is quite popular in Australia, price I've found is around 165 AUD = 100 EUR = 110 USD per battery.
For that price you get 2 x 4500 mAh batteries ;-)

Dualsky 6S 22,2V 5000mAh HED 30C/5C Ultra light F3A Battery

Specification:
Number of Cell: 6S1P
Voltage: 22,2V
Capacity: 5000mAh
Weight: 604g
Dimensions L x W x T : 140x42x43mm
Wiring : 10AWG
Max Charge: 5C
Max Cont. Discharge: 30C

Regards,

As I am once again contemplating purchasing a 920+ I have a question after reading through this thread-why not just have an exact match battery built from a company doing custom LiPo batteries?

When you put custom infront of anything it just means money. To get a supplier to provide custom lipos they would need to do a run, that could be anywhere from 1,000 to 50,000 batteries to make it worth their while.

Considering that every batt manufacturer is probably flat out making batteries it would probably mean a lead time of months before they could even start to make the run.

Next you have a very small market of potential buyers, so you would have to get alot of people on board before you did anything and highly likely most will wait until others have tried them and so it all get a little messy.

So if you can find anything that fits then away you go, the best part is that batteries will keep getting higher capacity in smaller packages.

Regards,

Reactions: PatR
As I am once again contemplating purchasing a 920+ I have a question after reading through this thread-why not just have an exact match battery built from a company doing custom LiPo batteries?

Some of us have already been down this road, making contact with a company that had previously made batteries for the 920. Each of us has been told the same thing, it won’t happen as there would not be enough sales volume to justify the cost of production.

The number of 920’s sold world wide was pitifully small considering what it could and can do so the number of batteries that might be sold would be proportional to the number of aircraft still in use.

Happy to report the Tornado H920 is stretching its wings once more thanks to two of these beauties.
Needed to do a bit of a hack job on the connectors but that was easily accomplished with a soldering iron and a pair of old Yuneec batteries that were destined for the bin.

Attachments

• SLSXT40006130.jpg
    SLSXT40006130.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 10
PSA, we can obtain connectors at very reasonable prices on Amazon. No need to look for worn out batteries to cannibalize them.

Haven’t followed this thread much recently, but appears to be looping into territory previously traveled... previously, in the end a pair were identified as not only a great fit into chamber, but about max capacity for 2 at a pretty reasonable cost.

Pat, has the previous Zippy battery you sized up gone off market? I’m not seeing an improvement in new alternatives posted. Isn’t surprising after the deep dive previously taken by many of us... even the custom route I pursued for months ended in low volume / high costs, and 3D printing saddle mounts... fluttered out due to low interest & costs.

I was curious if the discussions of a Ver3 920 would produce new batteries... that also hasn’t developed. Even if they changed connectors, that’d still be a good source but I’m not seeing it yet.

Reactions: thoneter
I haven’t looked for batteries lately but there have been posts suggesting the Zippy 5000’s may lo longer be available.

I don’t see that as being a problem as it seems as one brand fades away another pops up to replace it. The vast majority of batteries are made of similar quality, meaning more to low than high, so whomever we get them from will be pretty much the same as the next guy in line. What we are primarily interested in is dimensions, mA, and C rating. Find one that checks all the boxes and run with it.

As for the new 920, I would not get any hopes up. Between the outbreak of Covid-19 in China and the failure to launch of the H-3 I don’t expect to see much more out of Yuneec.

Last edited:
I was trying to purchase the Zippy Compact 5000 batteries from HobbyKing for a few months, but that battery appears to be not manufactured any more. I found the Gens Ace 6s to be a good battery in pairs although more expensive.... You only need to change out the EC5 socket with a EC3. I am getting about 20min with the CGO4 camera, and about 28min with the lighter CGO3+.

Reactions: thoneter
PSA, we can obtain connectors at very reasonable prices on Amazon. No need to look for worn out batteries to cannibalize them.
I had researched a few vendors alright but the connectors end up too long by the time you add them on. Even the ones attached to the new batteries I bought needed a haircut. They were too lengthy for the H920 bay as they were.

With a little creativity you can construct and use a pair of plug adapters up to 3.5” long using an XT-90 at one end and EC-3 at the other. I know this because that’s what I use. You can find examples of them early in the alternative battery thread. Standard EC-3 connectors are not in and of themselves too long if all you do is change them at the battery as they are all pretty close in length. Understand you should remove the EC-5 or XT-60/90 the battery comes with and install EC-3’s.

With a little creativity you can construct and use a pair of plug adapters up to 3.5” long using an XT-90 at one end and EC-3 at the other. I know this because that’s what I use. You can find examples of them early in the alternative battery thread. Standard EC-3 connectors are not in and of themselves too long if all you do is change them at the battery as they are all pretty close in length. Understand you should remove the EC-5 or XT-60/90 the battery comes with and install EC-3’s.
Appreciate you taking the time on this but the difficulty for me was removing the new battery cables from the battery itself. The solder was so thick on the Xtron's it was much easier just to snip both plus and minus to the length I wanted and attach the two EC5 Yuneec connectors. I think I have about 20 Yuneec batteries all in different states of repair but ultimately useless because I get nothing but controller warnings from them but on the plus side they've paid for themselves many times over and this is the only time they have ever proved to be useful.

Doing one wire at a time from start to finish, cut off the oversize or incorrect connector, tin the wire, fit to the EC-3 pin, which usually requires reducing the wire’s end diameter to fit the smaller EC-3 pin, solder, and insert into the connector body. Repeat with the second wire.

The other option is to make an adapter but that makes for a very crowded bundle of wires at the battery door.

It’s an operation that requires a little thought. If the wire is too large or too tight you have to reduce the diameter of the wire. It’s not a situation where a little KY jelly is going to help[emoji6]

I've been testing several different batteries in my 920+ since I came to find the stock Yuneec batteries were a joke. Within 6 charge cycles they went from about 12 minutes down to about 4-5 minutes. Next I tried SMC 5000 90C X 2. They are made more for RC off road brushless cars/trucks. They had a hard plastic case I had to remove to get them to fit. Initially they worked well, gave me 20-22 minutes. They cost $109 (218 for pair) from my local hobby shop. Unfortunately, for some reason I had 1 cell in each pack fail within the 1st 10 charge cycles. Next I got some Ovanic 4500 50C packs from eBay for about $120 for the pair. So far they are working well. I get about 18 minutes and I'm up to 7 charge cycles with no issues. Lastly, and by far the best so far, I got a pair of Gens Ace 5000 45c packs ($225 for pair). They fit great and I'm getting 22-25 minutes. They have 6 charge cycles and no issues. These are the packs I recommend. See pics
20200830_142248.jpg20200830_142359.jpg20200830_142410.jpg
20200830_142423.jpg

I've finally after 2months searching found batteries to fit my H920 after being disappointed that the overlanders i bought a couple weeks ago were just a tad to wide.
The ones I found are made by gens ace and rebranded for the importer ,or so he says .
4max 5000maH 40c and exactly the same size as the equivalent gens ace.
My question is with the power leads being 10 awg and the original yuneec leads being 12 awg.
Do I
A. simply solder new ec3 connector. B, snip the leads off the old worn out batteries and solder to the new leads . Or c, unsolder the leads from the battery terminal and replace with the 12awg from the old batteries .
What are people doing ?

Reactions: Steve Carr
I had found the Gens Ace batteries last year for my h920+ and converted the plugs to EC3. I kept the heavy 10ga wires, cut off the old connectors (individually) and soldered on the new ones. This was covered in a previous post a while ago....

danomite24 said:
Is swapping the connector easy.
Yes if you have reasonable soldering skills and DO NOT cut the larger EC4 connector off both leads at once unless you want to see localized lightning..... Cut each wire separately and solder on the new connector, then do the next one, keep live leads insulated with tape temporarily.

Attachments

Last edited:
I've finally after 2months searching found batteries to fit my H920 after being disappointed that the overlanders i bought a couple weeks ago were just a tad to wide.
The ones I found are made by gens ace and rebranded for the importer ,or so he says .
4max 5000maH 40c and exactly the same size as the equivalent gens ace.
My question is with the power leads being 10 awg and the original yuneec leads being 12 awg.
Do I
A. simply solder new ec3 connector. B, snip the leads off the old worn out batteries and solder to the new leads . Or c, unsolder the leads from the battery terminal and replace with the 12awg from the old batteries .
What are people doing ?
I have a few sets of aftermarket (Gens Ace) batteries for my H920 and I just soldered on new EC3 connectors. It is a tight fit with the 10 AWG wires but definitely able to be soldered on there. I always try to avoid unsoldering the wires from the cell tabs on lithium batteries. It can be very tricky and the tabs are usually pretty flimsy and delicate. Good Luck!

Reactions: Steve Carr

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval