Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

How can I capture stunning color using the CGO3+ ???

Thank you everyone. I looked up color grading on youtube and I've learned how to white balance the camera and color grade the footage in post. The footage now pops. Here's a playlist of the videos I used - Photography, Videography, and Film Making - YouTube

Software packages I'm using include:
1. Filmora 8.0 - Editing/Production, White Balance, Color Correction.
2. Resolve 12.5 - White Balance, Color Correction using scopes.
3. HandBrake - Batch processing of video, mainly to downgrade, rename, and organize the footage.
4. IrFan View 64 4.44 - Batch processing of photography, mainly to downgrade, rename, and organize the the raw footage.

Here's a video I just shot today - 1920x1080F30, Sunny setting, white balance locked while on the ground (no card in front of the lens, gotta learn more about that) gorgeous mode, .MP4. It looks pretty washed out, but that's about what it really looks like...!

Anyway, my issue is the artifacts in the video while I was facing west. The lower right corner is washed out, and I see lines throughout the video. Should I be using a filter and/or a hood on the lens? Don't mind the rest of the video - I'm learning to maneuver my H, so some pans and tilts are pretty coarse. And no, my wife wasn't REALLY going to hit my H with that stick!

Any opinions regarding the artifacts/defects in the video would be appreciated

The first thing you should do is set your white balance before your flight. I use a gray card and lock the white balance before taking off. Personally, I think the H meters a little high so I normally set my EV to -0.5 before flying as well. If you want vivid colors out of the camera, set your color setting to gorgeous.

Plan your shots with the sun to your H's back or sides if possible.

For post processing, I find that if I set my white balance for the flight, I can usually get popping colors by playing with brightness/contrast and saturation. (I use Sony Vegas).

How do you use a card to set the white balance?

The artifacts and lines are caused by reflections and propeller shade. Both disappear when the camera is no longer facing the sun.

You can mitigate and possibly completely elimate these issues using neutral density filters to cut the light that reaches the sensor, requiring the camera to use a longer exposure time and effectively hiding the artifacts using motion blur.

Reactions: Sailor Mike
Here's a video I just shot today - 1920x1080F30, Sunny setting, white balance locked while on the ground (no card in front of the lens, gotta learn more about that) gorgeous mode, .MP4. It looks pretty washed out, but that's about what it really looks like...!

Anyway, my issue is the artifacts in the video while I was facing west. The lower right corner is washed out, and I see lines throughout the video. Should I be using a filter and/or a hood on the lens? Don't mind the rest of the video - I'm learning to maneuver my H, so some pans and tilts are pretty coarse. And no, my wife wasn't REALLY going to hit my H with that stick!

Any opinions regarding the artifacts/defects in the video would be appreciated
The artifacts in the corners are due to the prop shadows and the shutter speed. To get rid of the artifacts you can use ND filters and/or reduce the shutter speed, and/or change the position of the camera.
Prop Flicker -

Reactions: Sailor Mike
How do you use a card to set the white balance?

Put the card directly in front of your camera and allow the camera a few seconds to adjust its white balance to the card, then hit the white balance lock. This should lock in your white balance until you change it or power down the aircraft.

The video I'm capturing with me CGO3+ seems dual and washed out. I was hoping the colors would be more vivid and distinct. I've tried various settings in various lighting conditions, and I can't seem to get the colors to pop on the footage I'm capturing. Is this a limitation of the camera? Is anyone capture beautiful color with the CGO3+ ?

Here's video shot using a Modified SteadyCam and the CGO3+ -
Hi Jazzman81, is it difficult to modify the CG03'steadygrip for CG03+ ? I'm waiting for this one from Yuneec...but no dly.time planned !

Hi Jazzman81, is it difficult to modify the CG03'steadygrip for CG03+ ? I'm waiting for this one from Yuneec...but no dly.time planned !
It took me a while to figure out and find the right parts so you wont have to go thru that process yourself. It's not hard to make the mods. Would like my help so that you can make your own?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TroyBoy