Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

i have an issue...

Reaction score
Leawood, KS. Right in the middle of nowhere...
so fortunately i havent actually bought my typhoon yet, but i called the heliports near my home that i want to use as home base, and it ain't sounding good. the manager said she doubted they would be able to let me do that. unfortunately for me, i am only 15 so i dont have a car and cant drive even if i did. so i have nowhere to fly if they tun me down. anybody got any ideas?

Why not use any number of parks or open areas to fly? Why do you think you need to operate from a heliport? You want to fly in areas away from general aviation. In your area, you may have to get together with a fellow pilot who can drive to a less congested area.

Last edited:
Jack,

Are you saying you want to use one of heliports as your launch point, or are you saying you want to launch from your home but there are several heliports within five miles of your home?

If the former, then I agree with Eagle’s Eye.

If the latter, somehow you should be able to get clearance, if only for even 100 ft. Better than nothing.

Might take a lot of “I’m going up; just letting you know” type communication.

Let us know how it works out for you, especially if you care to clarify what your message is actually trying to stipulate.

Good luck!

Jeff

yes sorry i would definately not be launching FROM the pad, there are just 2 hospitals about 3 miles away from where i live(and wish to fly), and i would have thought the same thing too that it would simply just be a matter of contacting them when i was about to go up, but when i called the manager for one of them, she said she doubted if the people who run their emergency pad would allow it.

Although Section 336 has been replaced by a more restrictive code section 336 is still being used as guidance for recreational flyers until the new code is fully implemented. Under 336 a recreational flyer is required to notify the management of area airports of their intent to fly, along with the location and altitude. They are not required to ask permission. Bear in mind that management of a busy airport CAN deny airspace access in their area of control. The NFZ’s programmed into a Typhoon H do not include hospital or civil agency helipads.

For the safety of all, stay below 100’-150’ and remain well clear of known helicopter operations. Do not fly next to major highways or freeways as those are often used by helicopters for aerial navigation routes.

It would be a very good idea to read Section 336 and the new regulations passed with the FAA’s reauthorization act, and review VFR sectional charts for your area to determine where airspace is noted to be restricted. Make it a point to comply with the regulations as the FAA has publicly stated they are becoming aggressive in prosecuting those that interfere with first responders, be they commercial or recreational flyers.

PatR is on the mark on this!

As you obviously found out, the number you got for the helipad doesn’t even get you to the manager for it, but only some receptionist at the hospital.

I have the same situation at my home in Florida. The Sheriff’s Post about 3.5 miles from me has a pad that is rarely used and the hospital is about a mile from me. I entered into an agreement with them where I didn’t have to contact them every time I went up, but would keep my craft below the level they use on approach.

Glad to hear you are being responsible at the tender age of 15. Make sure to get the name and number of the persons responsible for the operation of both heliports and try to come to an agreement (preferably in writing) as I did. You may find as I did that notification that the pad will be in use actually goes through the closest ATC controlled airport. In the case of the hospital near me, there is no communication with the ER other than by phone.

There are a couple other young members on the forum you may want to share your interests with. @Mr. I and @Nobel Drones are two that come to mind.

You also might call the hospitals and ask if they have particular and/or published, preferred arrival and departure routes for helicopter traffic. Most will have them. They may not be published and recorded with the FAA but location and surrounding buildings/structures or neighborhoods often generate need to use particular in and outbound routing. If they have them, find out where they are and remain well clear of them.

Reactions: DoomMeister
PatR said:
For the safety of all, stay below 100’-150’ and remain well clear of known helicopter operations. Do not fly next to major highways or freeways as those are often used by helicopters for aerial navigation routes.
haha i live less than 200 feet away from a major highway. is it a law that you stay away from that, or just a suggestion?

I have the same situation at my home in Florida. The Sheriff’s Post about 3.5 miles from me has a pad that is rarely used and the hospital is about a mile from me. I entered into an agreement with them where I didn’t have to contact them every time I went up, but would keep my craft below the level they use on approach.
that is what i was trying to do and they sounded doubtful.

PatR said: haha i live less than 200 feet away from a major highway. is it a law that you stay away from that, or just a suggestion?

It is a suggestion, very similar to the suggested speed limit... though the fine structure is likely a bit different.

Flying over a major highway would fall into the category of not flying over crowds/groups of people. Being near the highway is different than being over the highway.

Pat’s point was that helicopter pilots often use highways to navigate (and traffic control/reporting are naturally over or near them). Your job as a remote pilot is to be vigilant of the airspace you are utilizing and avoid and give right of way to any manned aircraft. Planes, helicopters, ultralights, hang gliders, hot air balloons, etc. all have right of way over unmanned aircraft.

I’m not sure how many neighbors you have, but most are not into having a camera flying over their property. Do you have parks, playgrounds, open fields, or similar within walking/riding distance?

Reactions: Jack Rosenbaum
Most of the “rules” are just common sense and common courtesy. The golden rule works in this situation just like in the rest of life.

Again, get the name and contact information for the manager of both heliports. They are the only ones you are required to report your intended flights to. Be firm and respectful with the ones you are trying to get that information from. Then once you get in contact with the managers, request the information PatR referred to and develop a working plan with them. Trust me, you can hear choppers in your area (unless they are the black silent ones and you won’t live to tell about it :eek:). So giving right of way should not be a problem.

PatR said: haha i live less than 200 feet away from a major highway. is it a law that you stay away from that, or just a suggestion?

It is illegal to fly over or above highways with vehicles carrying people. It was one of the topics in a recent FAA webinar. It falls under general public safety stuff. It’s not because of any danger of the aircraft falling on people, but danger from the reactions of drivers that may suddenly encounter a falling or low flying sUAV and cause a vehicular accident.

Jack, try looking here VFR Raster Charts. This information is free and you will also find a guide to aid in learning to read the information in the charts.

Flying sUAS’s is on the same level as driving a vehicle and it must be done responsibly. If your local TV/radio stations have helicopter pilots, see if you can meet with one to discuss their flight rules so you better understand where and how they would fly in your area. You might even get a free helicopter ride out of the deal, you never know!

Although Section 336 has been replaced by a more restrictive code section 336 is still being used as guidance for recreational flyers until the new code is fully implemented. Under 336 a recreational flyer is required to notify the management of area airports of their intent to fly, along with the location and altitude. They are not required to ask permission. Bear in mind that management of a busy airport CAN deny airspace access in their area of control. The NFZ’s programmed into a Typhoon H do not include hospital or civil agency helipads.
whats the name of that new code and when will it be made effective? also, reading that law(and i know this is NOT the case) it sounds like it says the FAA cant restrict us in any way?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wiebeedigital