Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Is there a phone problem with UAV's?

Reaction score
I plan on using my iPhone 6 as a camera to get footage of the Typhoon H taking off and landing. There seems to be a couple of posts indicating that mobile/cell phones are a problem and affect the Radio Control. Anyo

I plan on using my iPhone 6 as a camera to get footage of the Typhoon H taking off and landing. There seems to be a couple of posts indicating that mobile/cell phones are a problem and affect the Radio Control. Anyo
Chris, I am not sure with Yuneec platforms as they state nothing in the manual about that, but DJI warns against it and states that the phones wifi can cause interference with the controller.aircraft wifi. As you know DJI platform' controllers operate with your tablet/phone as they have no screen, but they recommend you have it in "Airplane" mode or wifi off. Sure you can use it like that in those modes. I have a call Tuesday to Yuneec and will put that on my list of questions! Good question!

I walked around the Typhoon H while hovering and took a slow mo video with my iPhone and it was fine. With the DJI Phantom 3 I always found issues with Wifi when on the edge of my property where the wifi was weak and the phone was working hard for the signal. Also think phones with a weak mobile signal do the same trying bands and switching between 2G, 3G and 4G and that has caused interference with the Phantom 3. So for me in a good signal area I tend to leave it on, in a poor signal area I tend to switch the devices to flight mode.

Thats not to say I tape the iPhone to the ST-16, I keep it in my pocket or a sensible distance.

Reactions: DroneClone
There is no problem. Cell phones are not on the same bandwidth spectrum/channel as the Typhoon. The Cell Phone issue may only be of concern when calibrating the compass.

I posted last week that I had asked Yuneec about having my cell phone with me while flying after having one flight where I had problem landing and DC suggested that may have been the problem. Yuneec told me that the phone is okay but suggested that I have the wifi turned off since it might interfere with the wifi connection between controller and H. I've probably had 4-5 flights with my cell phone on me while forgetting to turn off the wifi and had no issues but I usually remember to turn off wifi and think that's advice worth following.

Reactions: DroneClone
Chris, I am not sure with Yuneec platforms as they state nothing in the manual about that, but DJI warns against it and states that the phones wifi can cause interference with the controller.aircraft wifi. As you know DJI platform' controllers operate with your tablet/phone as they have no screen, but they recommend you have it in "Airplane" mode or wifi off. Sure you can use it like that in those modes. I have a call Tuesday to Yuneec and will put that on my list of questions! Good question!

Can you please ask about smart watches as well? I have one of Garmin Fenix 3 with Bluetooth and wifi ...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval