Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Just got a new Typhoon H in the cold province of Quebec

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

happy new year to all. I will retire my Q500 4K now that I got a nice Christmas gift, a Typhoon H.
Here near Montreal, it's a typical harsh winter. Today is very mild at about 26F.
My question is this: since I will not ( most likely ) use it before spring, should I calibrate it anyway and try it to make sure it's ok? I know that buying at Christmas, here up North, is not a good idea, because I will lose about 4 months out of the 6 months warranty. Well, we don't choose the timing of our gifts....

Any other advice is welcomed.
cheers

Reactions: kinstray
Once you calibrate it, how do you plan to make sure it's OK? Flying it is the only real test, unfortunately.

Sounds cold! You may get some nice shots of frosty landscapes or snow?

The only things that generally prevents you from flying are rain, snow and high winds.

Another thing to take in to considderation is that your LiPo batteries shouldnt really be stored for a long time, fully charged. May be worth trying to squeeze in a test flight just to drain your batteries to a more suitable storage voltage.

If it were me, I'd be excited to give it a bit of a trial, just to make sure all is working!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Once you calibrate it, how do you plan to make sure it's OK? Flying it is the only real test, unfortunately.
If flying isn't an option, you can carry out a number of ground checks, update your firmware first. You can spin up the rotors, although don't run without the props for more than say 30s. If possible, fit the rotors and spin those up for a minute or so (stay back obviously, unless you want a free haircut).

You can test the retractable landing gear by powering on the drone (don't start the rotors - you don't even need to fit them for this test). Turn the aircraft upside down and flip the retractable landing gear switch. The landing gear will retract and you can change the switch again and they will come down again.

Take a short video and maybe a few stills and check the results on the computer.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Thanks guys.
It will have to wait a couple more days, my home being at the edge of a no fly zone. So my guess is that it won't even start.
I will call Yuneec on tuesday to lift the restriction. Should not be difficult, I have my private pilot license, and while I don't fly anymore because of a heart condition, this is a little bit like riding a bicycle, once you got it , you never forget . And the Q500 is unlocked

Thanks all for the sound advice

It is cold here in Michigan as well. I have managed a few flights. biggest problems is how long my fingers last till the cold gets to them.

The Great Lakes generate a lot of moisture. Same here with the St Lawrence river. This morning, humidity was 92%

I'm just a few miles from Lake Superior in the snow belt country and we generally have high humidity. That doesn't seem to bother the H. I flew last night when it was about 15 deg and 15-23 mph. No issues at all other than only 8-10 minutes on each battery. When you bring the H back inside just let it sit in a warm place until it reaches room temp. It's always lower humidity inside which prevents dew formation.

thanks all. I followed your advice and flew my new bird for the first time yesterday. I find it much more responsive than the Q500.
It's a shame to get rid of a Q500 with less than 3 hours total flight time, but I'm really happy with the H purchase. Was in for a big scare, tough, when I started it without props in the home and got a strange noise and a 5 motor warning as soon as I increased the throttle.
I found the reason on the forum and glad to report this was normal. It flies flawlessly.

I am in New Brunswick and it is cold here also. Have been flying since I got mine in early January. Battery life goes down faster and needs to be monitored closely. Also, keep batteries warm before flight and that helps. I am learning to fly it so I am cautious of winds and will not fly if there is any precipitation. Go fly but be aware!

On the comment about losing 4 of the 6 month warranty by not flying in the world tee, I believe Yuneec extended the warranty period from 6 to 12onths and that applies to units already purchased.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ReparacionDronesMedellin