Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Learning to fly 'manual' progress..

Reaction score
Hello guys. This post is not directly about the Typhoon H itself, but it's related to my experience with it.

As some of you may or may not know, I purchased my Typhoon H as my very first UAV and I thought I would be able to learn easily on it. (I thought, the H practically flies itself, how hard can it be?..) However after my first crash last year (a few days after getting it) my mindset changed drastically.

Still to this day I feel responsible for that crash and, even though it was attributed to a GPS malfunction (which was addressed in firmware updates), at that moment I didn't know how to react, I panicked and simply froze.. Everything happened in a matter of seconds, and I did close to nothing to try and fight what was happening and it crashed.

I decided I wanted to practice a lot to avoid "freezing" like that again. I didn't want to fear a GPS loss every single time I flew the H, and if it did happen some day mid-flight I definitely didn't want the H to simply "fly away" with the wind, with me behind the controler, just as a witness, not knowing what to do.

I decided to purchase some toy-grade hexacopters to practice, my thought was that I should practice with aircrafts as similar as possible to the H to get used to them; the way they perform with 6 rotors, and also how they look like at long distance. My objective was to get used to all of it at the same time (I thought if I purchased white quad-copters the "reflexes" or "muscle memory" developed might not translate as good when flying them and the Typhoon H)

So, 5 months have passed since I purchased my first practice toy hexacopter. Up to this date I own 4 toy hexas, and I've been using all of them to practice indoors and outdoors. (as much as I wanted to practice with the H itself its too much of a risk.)

I definitely feel much more confident now! A few days ago I went out and tested flying the H without GPS, and I've got to say, the practice with the toy hexas delivered. At first I was a bit over-cautious because I hadn't used the H in 3 months so I kind of lost the feel of it.. But a few minutes later I was comfortably flying the Typhoon H, with GPS disabled and without the fear of it suddenly flying away. I felt in complete control. (This was the same day I tested the IPS flight mode)

So, anyway, I wanted to share this experience with you, since this forum has given me a lot of useful lessons and information. I no longer feel like an absolute newbie when operating the Typhoon H, and I hope this motivates new users to go ahead and practice with simpler, non gps aircrafts; among a lot of other things, losing the fear of that "GPS lost" message mid-flight is one of the things that I value the most from this.

I went ahead and documented the "comparison" between the day I got my first toy-hexa and 5 months later.

I hope I didn't bore you with my personal development story :oops:, as I mentioned this isn't a specific Typhoon H topic, but its definitely related.

Greetings!

Great story and a good tutorial on how to get started flying. If all new pilots followed your advise we would see a lot fewer crash posts.

Reactions: JulesTEO
Fact of life, those that learn to fly manually and in so doing develop an understanding of how the aircraft works have far fewer problems than those depending on automation. Since we weren't born with wings we need to work at a little to be good at it. Well done Jules.

I love it! I practiced 30 days straight with a Syma X5c before purchasing my Q500 4K. Its amazing what you learn. If you can land that in a 3ft circle........100% of the time........you are ready to take on a more complex drone.

Great job JulesTEO! I might also add that Yuneec sells a flight simulator although I haven't seen or tested it first hand. I have a general model aviation flight sim called RealFlight and it has a number of multirotor drones including a hex copter (both GPS and non-GPS) that perfectly prepares you for a Typhoon H! I've been flying UAV's since the early 90s and all of that experience made me compare my H to a Puppy. The way I look at GPS on my H is that I enjoy it very much, but at the end of the day it's not needed for an experienced manual pilot. Perfect your skills with the Angle mode and I highly recommend you try out a simulator. No matter what, keep practicing!

I have the simulator and it works well and has the advantage of having the ST-16 as the controller.
No simulated camera controls... usually takes a couple of tries to successfully bind the ST-16
to the simulator. Make sure to get the 3.0 version that has the H as one of the model choices.

Tutorial here

His tutorial is specifically for the Q500k with the ST-10, but it works as well for the ST-16 with
the Typhoon H. An easy thing to miss... in the simulator, the H will not take off in full Turtle mode.

At 6:28 he goes into how to turn off GPS in the simulator. I need to try that out, because that
would be the most logical way to get used to no GPS mode without risking the bird.

You will get smoother control over video moves without GPS but you cannot ever take your eye off it around objects as it's drifts with the wind. I fly FPV all the time with no GPS and minimal position hold so having any drone that holds altitude makes it pretty easy.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atas77my