Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!
There have been some comments and questions recently about proper care of LiPo batteries such as the ones we use in our Typhoon H aircraft. This article does a very good job of providing insight into these batteries and guidance on maintenance of them.

There are a number of good chargers available that will not only charge them and also show voltage for each cell and discharge them to proper voltage levels. Perhaps some of our more seasoned pilots will share their choices of chargers.

A Guide to Understanding LiPo Batteries
Can someone help ,me get logged back in on Yuneec Pilots forum.
Keith Kuhn

For some reason I am logged out on my computer but not my phone

Keith,

What, exactly, is the issue?

Did you forget your user name or your email address you used for your account? Or did you forget your password?

If the latter, there should be a “forget your password?” link. Try that.

If the former..., I’ll have to check when I get back in front of my pc.

Jeff

Reactions: KEITH KUHN
I will get the login issue straightened out. I have three files I would like for somebody to look at do to my typhoon H not descending.
Thanks Keith

Storage of batteries? I’m confused about storage. Is there long term or short term storage? If so what’s considered long or short. And do both have different storage parameters?

LiPo batteries have a voltage at which they should be stored at. Storing them at higher or much lower voltage can significantly degrade the performance and life of the batteries.

The charger that Yuneec ships is inadequate for proper maintenance of LiPo batteries.

If you read the articles and posts in this topic there is a lot of valuable information on how to care for the LiPo batteries and which chargers work.

If you are not planning on flying within 48 hours of the time you charged your batteries, you should bring them down to recommended storage charge levels... with one of the recommended chargers that has a storage charge capability.

Last edited:
There have been some comments and questions recently about proper care of LiPo batteries such as the ones we use in our Typhoon H aircraft. This article does a very good job of providing insight into these batteries and guidance on maintenance of them.

There are a number of good chargers available that will not only charge them and also show voltage for each cell and discharge them to proper voltage levels. Perhaps some of our more seasoned pilots will share their choices of chargers.

Yes although this link is very informative it does not give specific maintenance instructions... For instance I was under the impression due to certain threads i have read on this page that you should never fully charge your LiPo batteries prior to storage after use... So I guess my question is... When..? When is the proper time to fully charge...? Or have i completely misunderstood some of threads I have read... Should the batteries be stored in a low level of charge and powered up at the time of usage or is it vise versa...?

That’s a good article for people to start with and develop a basic understanding of lipo’s and their care.

As for chargers, in the beginning I started out with a few different “cheap” chargers and ended up replacing them a few times as they burnt out. As my batteries grew larger than 3s or 2500mA the cheap chargers would over heat and commit suicide. Tiring of frequently buying new chargers I switched to products made by well established brand name manufacturers with a long history in RC electric aviation. There are several high quality manufacturers in this class. I ended up staying with Hitec RCD and have a couple of their chargers, one of which is re-branded to become the Yuneec A-10 AC/DC dual charger and came with my 920. I believe Hitec calls it the X-2. Good little charger. For the past 4 years I’ve also been using a Hitec X4-400 charger with their AC to DC power supply. It’s a little faster than the A-10 using the same charge settings.

The point above is go with a good charger once, don’t buy cheap and unreliable chargers over and over. You won’t save any money in the long run with the lowest priced chargers. The life of your batteries is absolutely dependent on two things; the quality/accuracy of the charger and how you treat the batteries. The latter is inclusive of how well the charger performs.
Does the Hitec X4-400 need cables to adapt to the H Plus batteries... and will these work...? Yuneec Typhoon H Battery Plug Cable for Chargers

Yes although this link is very informative it does not give specific maintenance instructions... For instance I was under the impression due to certain threads i have read on this page that you should never fully charge your LiPo batteries prior to storage after use... So I guess my question is... When..? When is the proper time to fully charge...? Or have i completely misunderstood some of threads I have read... Should the batteries be stored in a low level of charge and powered up at the time of usage or is it vise versa...?

LiPos should be stored at a lower level of charge (called a storage charge) until use. Once charged they should be used within 48 hours, or brought back down to the storage charge level. Those levels vary with the battery capacity.

YT on Hitec X400 Charger settings

or @Haydn 's response here... in his instructions he specifically gives the sequence for balance charging... in the case of storage charging, select "storage charge" in step 2, instead of "balance charge".

hitec-charger

Does the Hitec X4-400 need cables to adapt to the H Plus batteries... and will these work...? Yuneec Typhoon H Battery Plug Cable for Chargers

You need this cable

Typhoon 520 & Plus cable

Reactions: Haydn
Ive had my Hplus for about 2 months now. Just about got the hang of flying it and getting pretty good videos and photos. This forum has been a great help answering all my questions. Even accessed it at the flying field one day to get info on binding the unit. Anyway, from the posts about storage voltage here I decided to get the balance adaptors for my charger, and am using it to ensure the batteries at storage charge when it get back from flying. Much better than the little charger that came with the H.
Here is a shot of my Prodigy66 setup.

Attachments

• 20181123_183121.jpg
    20181123_183121.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 36

Great article, thanks!
Wow, i had no idea how dangerous it could be just storing these fully charged for next use, which might be a week later!
I find it very bad that yuneec don't inform you of this in any of the accompanying documents of my drone!
I don't even know how to put them in storage voltage, is there a switch on the standard charger?
Also, if at storage voltage and now i want to use them, i have to first fully charge them again?
I'm overwhelmed to be honest, not sureits worth all the hassle and potential danger, had i known...

Great article, thanks!
Wow, i had no idea how dangerous it could be just storing these fully charged for next use, which might be a week later!
I find it very bad that yuneec don't inform you of this in any of the accompanying documents of my drone!
I don't even know how to put them in storage voltage, is there a switch on the standard charger?
Also, if at storage voltage and now i want to use them, i have to first fully charge them again?
I'm overwhelmed to be honest, not sureits worth all the hassle and potential danger, had i known...

Hueman,

Hope you are not freaking out! It's not that bad.

Learning is easy... patience and attention to detail.

(Disclaimer: The following is presented as a summary of what you might find while searching for more information. It is not intended as an end all, be all, or expert recommendations. You, as the owner, are responsible for your own equipment, use and storage.)

• Yuneec likely did inform you of the potential dangers of the batteries we use. Its in those inserts and manual fine prints that rarely get read.
  • To put in storage, we have options:
    • Fly them until just about 50% left
    • Chuck the included charger and invest in a good aftermarket charger that has:
      • Storage Mode
      • Individual cell voltage meter
      • Individual cell resistance monitor (not a must, but nice to have)
      • Adequate power to efficiently charge your batteries
    • A search of this forum for "battery chargers" should pull up lots of discussions about this very topic, and recommendations for chargers.
  • Planning:
    • should take less than one hour to charge from storage level. Plan accordingly.
    • If the need exists to always have a set of batteries ready to go
      • acquire enough batteries to have one set ready (charged) and one set in storage. Rotate every day or two.
      • have enough charging capability to charge the full set at the same time.
  • Have proper "packaging" to safely store batteries.
    • LiPo safe battery bags are available.
    • Some pilots use steel ammo boxes - WARNING: Make sure to drill air holes before use, in order to release any pressure in the event of a failure!
It may seem daunting on the surface, per your comments, but... with a little patience and research, plus proper care and handling, the anxiety can be alleviated.

Hope this helps!

Jeff

Hueman,

(Disclaimer: The following is presented as a summary of what you might find while searching for more information. It is not intended as an end all, be all, or expert recommendations. You, as the owner, are responsible for your own equipment, use and storage.)

• Yuneec likely did inform you of the potential dangers of the batteries we use. Its in those inserts and manual fine prints that rarely get read.
      • Storage Mode
    • A search of this forum for "battery chargers" should pull up lots of discussions about this very topic, and recommendations for chargers.
  • Planning:
    • should take less than one hour to charge from storage level. Plan accordingly.
      • acquire enough batteries to have one set ready (charged) and one set in storage. Rotate every day or two.
    • Some pilots use steel ammo boxes - WARNING: Make sure to drill air holes before use, in order to release any pressure in the event of a failure!
It may seem daunting on the surface, per your comments, but... with a little patience and research, plus proper care and handling, the anxiety can be alleviated.

Hope this helps!

Jeff
Hueman,

• Storage Mode
  • Planning:

Hope this helps!

Jeff

Thanks. I'm just highly shocked that there's no way of storage charging these with the supplied equipment.
And, I have read all the accompanying info, it doesn't say not to keep these fully charged, nor to store them in a fire retardant container.
I'll calm down soon, its just that I live in my campervan - it's my home - and have the H in the van with 2 full batteries since 4 days now, i couldn't use it due to bad weather.
Imagine, during the night when im sleeping or the day when im working, these could potentially have ruined my life - literally!

I have over 100 flights in the back yard. . . two feet off the ground and within a ten foot circle. All of them were to deplete a charged battery that was not used. I try to fly down any battery within 24 hours as a target, 36 is pushing it and 48? Well I don't get desert.;) For now and until you get your charger, just fly them down to around 14.8 indicated and they will rebound after a cooling period to right around the correct storage level of 15.2 volts. I am betting of those 100 flights, 75% or more were within minutes of hitting storage when put on the charger and I bet at least ten or so binged as soon as I put it in storage mode.

Reactions: NorWiscPilot
Hueman,

• Storage Mode
  • Planning:

Hope this helps!

Jeff

OK, we need a like² button...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sierrarhodesss