Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Looking to acquire gimbal calibration software for the CGO3+

I have a copy of some software that is used to calibrate gimbals. here is the manual that comes with the software. I am looking at reworking this software to work with Yuneec gimbals. Know any good coders? I do code a bit b ut this gets a bit over my head. I am learning though. One of my 3d printers went down and I have been focused on it lately. I have it back up and running so I am going to dedicate some time to my drones.
I'm sure there are a few guys on here, but none that I know.

So far as I know, Yuneec Skins has the software from Yuneec. It is proprietary and he purchased it. But he cannot distribute it.
I see. I can't understand why they are so tight with this software. Especially since they are no longer servicing the US. It's all good though. I will break this software and have something working soon. When I do get it going, I am going to flood it out to everyone. I plan on selling everything I have soon but I want to break this software first. I have a friend who works with Intel and he is helping me out with it. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Not likely that anyone is going to give you the software. They will do the work for you. Contact John @Yuneec Skins . He is an approved vendor on here so that makes him trusted. Yuneec has allowed him to do NFZ, calibrations and more.
Yeah, I have not reached out to him and probably won't. I don't think I will be staying with these drones much longer. Yuneec is no longer unique without full support. The problem with paying to have our gimbals calibrated, after replacing a mainboard, is the cost. Yuneec was charging around 125-150 to calibrate these things so the final cost of repairs would override the idea of repairing them. Essentially forcing us to buy new. Apple set the pace for this type of forceful tactics. I can't tell you how many batteries I have replaced for owners of their iPhones. Apple even rolled out an update that killed the battery life. There are other companies that allow the calibration of their gimbals with FREE software. It is called "supporting the product". I am currently working on linking some software I have to these gimbals, maybe even some of the electronics so I can calibrate them myself. No matter, without support in the US, Yuneec is done. Once we run out of spare parts, our drones will become the bottom layer of our trash cans. One thing about the calibration settings is when you are "calibrating" a new board to the encoders, you are just matching them together. They work by reading the location of the rotating part. One could probably find a way to rotate each encoder to match the board's readings. Yuneec was smart by not marking the chip that controls all of this and holds these settings, so no one knows the maker of this chip.

Yeah, I have not reached out to him and probably won't. I don't think I will be staying with these drones much longer. Yuneec is no longer unique without full support. The problem with paying to have our gimbals calibrated, after replacing a mainboard, is the cost. Yuneec was charging around 125-150 to calibrate these things so the final cost of repairs would override the idea of repairing them. Essentially forcing us to buy new. Apple set the pace for this type of forceful tactics. I can't tell you how many batteries I have replaced for owners of their iPhones. Apple even rolled out an update that killed the battery life. There are other companies that allow the calibration of their gimbals with FREE software. It is called "supporting the product". I am currently working on linking some software I have to these gimbals, maybe even some of the electronics so I can calibrate them myself. No matter, without support in the US, Yuneec is done. Once we run out of spare parts, our drones will become the bottom layer of our trash cans. One thing about the calibration settings is when you are "calibrating" a new board to the encoders, you are just matching them together. They work by reading the location of the rotating part. One could probably find a way to rotate each encoder to match the board's readings. Yuneec was smart by not marking the chip that controls all of this and holds these settings, so no one knows the maker of this chip.
You may want to take a look at the new Yuneec franchise in the US at Home page. They are now offering repair service for Yuneec aircraft. The unfortunate part is that the former Yuneec US franchise did bail on us, and the new one has no obligation to take over for the first.

No matter, without support in the US, Yuneec is done. Once we run out of spare parts, our drones will become the bottom layer of our trash cans.
Since 2015, there have been reports that Yuneec was going out of business. And next year a new crop of rumors will start. People are still flying the Q500 everyday and repairing them. Parts are going to be around for a long time. Much longer than other brands. Yuneec is actually one of the few drones on the market where parts are available and repairs can be made by the owner.

I'm not aware of any drone manufacturer that makes camera calibration software available. From the little exposure I have had, it can be complicated and requires more than just software. This is not a 10 min quick fix especially if replacing multiple parts.

Reactions: Yuneec Skins
Let someone explain to me how the calibration process goes and when is necessary to do it?
Probably the target is achievable without specialized software too.

And what name she said for the software used? The first world is not clearly pronounced...

Because I lost a lot of time with the H to investigate how it works, no reason to stop halfway and for sure I'll try to have all the possible tools.

I think what people forget is that tech goes out of date very fast. Let's look at a DSLR for example. Canon and Nikon put out many new models yearly, and most are done within two years at the best, so to get the life we have gotten from the H480 is amazing as is with the Q500.

Cars.....they are the worst investment you can make. Every year they put out another model killing the value of the previous year yet no one has issue with that.

I feel that with tech you have to be of the understanding that it can be finished within a year when you make the purchase. Fortunately, this forum has a lot of members that are always willing to help another member, so in that way we are actually better at providing support than the manufacturer is, and that goes for DJI as well. I have dealt with DJI and their support is horrendous.

Apple was always doing proprietary parts, accessories, battery life. Then yes, they got caught with their hand in the cookie jar, yet the Apple sheep kept buying and stayed faithful even though they knew they had been hoodwinked.

The one thing Yuneec did was to ensure the people that bought their product were using something that was reliable, safe and not prone to random failures or frequent flyaways as with DJI. The calibration software was for techs that truly understood how to use it, the bulk of people out there have no clue how to use it and will ruin their gimbal.

It boils down to this. No one is going to keep making parts for a product or have support that goes on for years, it is just not feasible. At one point in time auto makers were required to have 10 years of stock to be able to repair what they made and sold. Today, I do not believe that is the case, it's probably more like 5 years of auto parts now. Cars, like everything else today are meant to be disposable, you are not supposed to be able to repair them at home in your own garage.

Then best thing is to make sure when you purchase something like a drone, make sure you buy spare parts for as long as you feel you are going to use the product. The military never goes into a contract for jets without making sure parts are available with the contract and for the life of the jet. You are the military and you are your own contract provider for parts, do not rely on a maker keeping it up for years. They want to move on with new products or all the money they have put into research is thrown out the window as no one is going to buy what they have put years into developing.

Think about this, I still own and use a Samsung Galaxy S6. Getting parts is very difficult so eventually I am going to have to get newer model. That is just the nature of owning a cell phone.

Reactions: Yuneec Skins
I don't want to Rain on anyone's Parade, but Yuneec's Camera Calibration is a very in-depth process, and I can assure you, your time would be better spent pursuing other endeavors, you will end up even more disappointed in the Long Run. The learning curve is extremely frustrating, and even the supplied Instructions are lacking at Best, you can calibrate 20 Cameras, and each will be different from the next, your wasting your time if you think just cracking the software is the answer, your in for a surprise.

I understand your frustration with Yuneec, but your pursuit of Conquering the Calibration Software, isn't worth the effort, and I won't even mention the difficulty when it comes to C23 & E90 Calibrations. I have over 300 cameras that need rebuilding, and there's a reason why I have so many, the Former Authorized Repair Facility I obtained them from didn't feel they were worth the effort to repair. I charge about 1/2 as much as it ought to be worth to rebuild these Cameras, but more power to you, if you feel your going to get even, and flood the Market with Software nobody will be able to use. JMHO....;)

Reactions: johnnyb57
I have a copy of some software that is used to calibrate gimbals. here is the manual that comes with the software. I am looking at reworking this software to work with Yuneec gimbals. Know any good coders? I do code a bit b ut this gets a bit over my head. I am learning though. One of my 3d printers went down and I have been focused on it lately. I have it back up and running so I am going to dedicate some time to my drones.
I breezed through this Manual, and it's like trying to use a Manual from a Chevy to Repair a Ford......Apples & Oranges

nobody will be able to use.
You just not right. Especially for me, this kind of software is interesting from another point of view. The communication protocol between the camera and the copter is a very useful thing. Just an example, I'm interested to inject GPS data into the camera and make shots and after that see what is inside the EXIF. I'm sure, you're read all the messages inside this forum and saw these about the pictures from the South positions. If I have something, from where I can watch the communication, will be better.

The next one is the calibration from the factory. Some cameras are calibrated in one way, some in the opposite. Probably you don't understand what I'm talking about, but just believe me. All these are OK for the market, but it better is to prepare them to be the same. Some are sluggish and often didn't go exactly to the zero position and so on.

I wrote all this just to say software like this one is useful for people. For you, this is a business, for most of us - just a hobby.

Regards from the periphery.

You just not right. Especially for me, this kind of software is interesting from another point of view. The communication protocol between the camera and the copter is a very useful thing. Just an example, I'm interested to inject GPS data into the camera and make shots and after that see what is inside the EXIF. I'm sure, you're read all the messages inside this forum and saw these about the pictures from the South positions. If I have something, from where I can watch the communication, will be better.

The next one is the calibration from the factory. Some cameras are calibrated in one way, some in the opposite. Probably you don't understand what I'm talking about, but just believe me. All these are OK for the market, but it better is to prepare them to be the same. Some are sluggish and often didn't go exactly to the zero position and so on.

I wrote all this just to say software like this one is useful for people. For you, this is a business, for most of us - just a hobby.

Regards from the periphery.
Just to be Clear my Comment wasn't directed at you.....;)

I have been away from posting on here for a while due to frustration from the secretive world of Yuneec calibration. I wanted to completely understand the process of calibration since I own 8 of these stinking things. I have been able to switch mainboards from cgo3 to cgo3+ gimbals and have learned how to calibrate the new boards. I can also use the older gimbals that were set up for the action cameras. I will pass on a clue as to what I have done. The cgo3 and cgo3+ and most all Yuneec gimbals have a bios chip onboard. I used a small bios chip programmer along with flashrom and some software a friend and I put together to finally repair three of my gimbals. Yuneec Skins was correct in saying it is not an easy process to learn. It has taken me nearly a year to get it right. I have brought several gimbals back from the dead by replacing bios chips and flashing them with the correct bios rom. If you are looking to learn this, be ready to learn how to read hex files, bin files, and also learn how to work with Linux. Please don't ask me to share this software or show you how to do it. It took me and another guy over a year to produce some software that would work. It is NOT something I can teach you over the web. Just wanted to let those of you looking to figure this out, if you have patience and spare time, you can do it.
BTW-We were able to make apples from oranges. (c:

• Love
Reactions: Steve Carr
I don't want to Rain on anyone's Parade, but Yuneec's Camera Calibration is a very in-depth process, and I can assure you, your time would be better spent pursuing other endeavors, you will end up even more disappointed in the Long Run. The learning curve is extremely frustrating, and even the supplied Instructions are lacking at Best, you can calibrate 20 Cameras, and each will be different from the next, your wasting your time if you think just cracking the software is the answer, your in for a surprise.

I understand your frustration with Yuneec, but your pursuit of Conquering the Calibration Software, isn't worth the effort, and I won't even mention the difficulty when it comes to C23 & E90 Calibrations. I have over 300 cameras that need rebuilding, and there's a reason why I have so many, the Former Authorized Repair Facility I obtained them from didn't feel they were worth the effort to repair. I charge about 1/2 as much as it ought to be worth to rebuild these Cameras, but more power to you, if you feel your going to get even, and flood the Market with Software nobody will be able to use. JMHO....;)
My flooding the market comment was a rant. To be honest, there is no market for this. I was able to learn this calibration with some help from a good friend but we truly can't show anyone how to do it. It's not that simple but it is. I know the Yuneec brand was good and many loved the drones but IMO these drones are doomed. Yuneec dropped the ball with support for the USA. I finally heard back from a guy at Yuneec who told me the calibrations were not all the same and why it was so hard to do it. I found a way around their secretive software but it requires some expensive soldering equipment. I truly don't care at this point what Yuneec does since selling off most of mine. I kept a few and a lot of parts to repair them but moved mostly over to DJI with my business. DJI gimbals were a bit easier to figure out also. I still have tons of the parts for the Yuneec drones that I purchased from a local dealer here who chose to move away from Yuneec. I really need to clean out my storage but am too lazy to dig into it right now.
I will say this, Yuneec should have shared the repair procedure when they stopped supporting the US. For some it is a hobby, for others, it is all about money, for me, it's only about doing the right thing.

I have tons of spare parts for my birds but the gimbals are a different story. I was hoping they would eventually release the ever so elusive software that is needed for the gimbal calibrations when making repairs. It is looking as if our gimbals are going to be worthless since no one can repair them without the software. techzpod download mobdro

Last edited:
I have tons of spare parts for my birds but the gimbals are a different story. I was hoping they would eventually release the ever so elusive software that is needed for the gimbal calibrations when making repairs. It is looking as if our gimbals are going to be worthless since no one can repair them without the software.
Yuneec Drone & Camera Repair - I have the Yuneec Factory Camera Calibration Software & Parts In-Stock; https://yuneecskins.com/yuneec-repair

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lahorelaptop