Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

More No Fly Questions

Reaction score
I'm new to this Quad, and am having some erratic flight issues, and live under a Class 'C' surface footprint. I'm using firmware version q500_stm32_main_06_05_2015_noairport.bin just to get the motors turning. Does anyone know if there are major differences between that version and version Q500_v1.07_10_05_2015_no_airport.bin? Not sure if 4 months difference in the dates would be worthwhile to change the version.
I've referred this to support and am waiting for an answer
Tnx

I doubt that firmware would be causing erratic flight.
Did you calibrate the accelerometer?
Set the Q on level ground, turn it on and don't touch it until it's fully booted.
Stay away from metal structures, high tension electrical wires.
Let the Q sit for an extra 10 minutes after it boots with the motors off. You only need to do this once.

It would be good if you could give more information about the problems and anything you have done to try to correct them. Also, how many flights have you had with this bird?

This is how you should start your Q every time you fly it. (Set the Q on level ground, turn it on and don't touch it until it's fully booted.)
I am recommending this to make certain the GPS is fully up to date: (Let the Q sit for an extra 10 minutes after it boots with the motors off. You only need to do this once.)
Watch this video for the calibration. If you still have problems after doing these steps then post the problem here.

Set the Q on level ground, turn it on and don't touch it until it's fully booted.
Let the Q sit for an extra 10 minutes after it boots with the motors off. You only need to do this once.

It would be good if you could give more information about the problems and anything you have done to try to correct them. Also, how many flights have you had with this bird?
H

Hi Steve, sorry to be so long in replying.
At first I calibrated in my living room, but thought that might give interference. I've been calibrating out in an open area away from everything. I followed the users manual for calibration and receive the correct indications.
If I do not calibrate before every flight, when hovering, the unit begins the Toilet bowl oscillations of increasing period. The calibrations I do are both the compass and accelerometer.
What I have ended up doing is calibrating before every flight, and that minimizes the oscillations.
My thoughts were that the microcode could tighten up the compass drift.
I have opened a ticket with yuneec, explaining that I reside under the KSAV class C, but so far no response.

Thanks for your help.
Tom G

Hi Tom,
1. The Q500 rarely needs any calibration so this sounds like a problem. There are thousands of them still flying with no calibrations.
2. If you don't hear back from Yuneec then give them a call. Sometimes you have to keep after them (in a nice way of course).

I've had my Q over a year and have only done one compass calibration, and a few accelerometer calibrations (one after a software update). Traveled all over, and have no problems. Hope Yuneec helps you out.

Reactions: Steve Carr

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval