Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

New Drone, new camera? ION L1 Pro For Yuneec H3

At least from the photo of the camera in their PDF, it looks to have a proprietary slide-in filter slot on the side. Can't comment on your other points.

There are several points still keeping me from pulling the trigger on the H+...

1) It's been months since the last FW update... I believe the reason customer issues/suggestions are being ignored, is to potentially moving us along the to the next platform as opposed to actually improving the performance of the current platform.

Example: Pilots have complained about the camera file setup on the H+... only both JPG/DNG capture, with no option for one or the other. There have been those who have bemoaned the lengthy delay in using time-lapse. All H+ pilots have complained just as much about the absolute shite quality of the JPGs.

Soooooo... instead of fixing all of the above issues with a FW upgrade, they announce a new platform that seems to address all these complaints... separate JPG and DNG capture, claimed usability of hyperlapse in JPG mode... and if they did not address the JPG quality issues, that hyperlapse feature is as moot as Real Sense.

2) There is some difficulty in obtaining certain parts... on the current platform, the H+. As pilots on this forum, we hear how important it is to properly take care of our barreries... and it is recommended to use a 3rd party charger.

Sooooooo... anyone tried to order a H+ battery adapter cable for those recommended 3rd party chargers, recently? You can find dozens of retailers that have the adapter cables for the newly discontinued H, but none for the current platform H+. ? Unlike the H, there has never been a separately available gimbal mount kit designated for the H+.

Given the above, what's a pilot waiting on the sidelines supposed to think?
As a one on the sideline myself, how does the H520 measure up to the shortcomings of the H+? The H520 camera is also on the H+ and I believe it has some firmware that the plus does not. I really do not want to invest in a platform that will be kicked down the road for a new model.

Reactions: JackMTaco
Hello,

I have read all of you with pleasure!

Thank you Yuneec to release an H3 without considering the desired updates for months by current H PLUS customers.

You think put them on the H3, it's not a problem, even with all the improvements requested, I will not buy it.

It's making fun of the world! Your trade policy is shabby ...

But I am one of the few who write it directly to Yunnec Europe.

They will recognize me!

Bye and good flights

When we read the article we have to recognize Leica’s historical attention to detail and manufacturing practices fit absolutely nowhere in a mass production, consumer level product.

Then we should consider the lens on the H3 will be fixed focal length, not manual focus as employed with Leica’s primary lens models.

How does two diametrically opposed quality, design, and manufacturing processes arrive at a happy medium? And happy for whom?

How does two diametrically opposed quality, design, and manufacturing processes arrive at a happy medium? And happy for whom?
Yuneec is trying to salvage what they can???? But keep missing!

I don’t think that’s the way it is. My guess is they’ve watched DJI be so successful following this path and adopted it for themselves.

The part that messes them up is the division between the Plus and the 520. One can be used for thermography and upload flight plans while the other can’t. Most all the DJI stuff can cross pollinate.

Yuneec used to have great customer service, now they barely have any at all. DJI used to have deplorable customer service but they saw the light and have worked fairly hard to improve it.

Yuneec has virtually no advertising while DJI makes it a point for everyone to hear about new stuff and works with various agencies and corporations to expand recognition.

Yuneec tends to deliver improvements they want, not what the customers want. In fact, for the last two platforms Yuneec has pretty much shut customers out of the development stream. Instead of listening to the customers to deliver what would make them happy they release stuff that doesn’t. Worse, once they take a direction they are arrogant and bull headed and won’t change direction regardless of how badly their efforts fail. They are the type that would make a hole in the bottom of a boat to see what happened and stand there watching as the boat sank.

Yuneec can’t pick and choose a few parts of DJI’s promotional efforts in an attempt to succeed. They have to recognize DJI’s efforts are homogenized to build an easy to understand presentation, with products that deliver.

So let me speak specifically as a photographer... As far as the "Leica" brand, that alone will not get me to buy. I will need to see empirical evidence in the form of output to make a judgement on the image quality.

Does that mean I put nothing behind the reputation of any specific brand? No. I believe I have mentioned this story before, but it is relevant to the conversation at hand. During my college days, I was able to produce images from a variety of camera sizes from 35mm to 4x5 view, so I am well versed in the idea that the greater the film size (just as now in the digital world with MP), the better the final resolution. Since I could not afford the high end Hasselblad (with their high-end Zeiss glass), I went with a Mamiya 645... believing that the greater image area would overcome any 35mm output.

Well, a good friend put me to the test... so we setup a pretty standard studio still life. We used the same studio flash lighting, and identical film... the only difference being that my friend shot with a 35mm Nikon FE2 and I shot with my medium format Mamiya 645.

Lo and behold, the Nikkor lenses blew the Mamiya right out of the water, despite the 3x film area advantage. Sold the Mamiya setup within 2 weeks. So do I believe in the "Nikon" brand? Based on my film experience, yes. But since that was over 20 years ago, do I still think Nikon is the be-all end-all? No.

If I had to make a recommendation to Yuneec to significantly improve camera output it would be the following:

I would suggest that if a continuously variable aperture lens is too expensive (understanding that the adjustment of said aperture would need to be able to be made within the controller setup)... consider this alternative:

If a camera is introduced with 3 f-stop settings that could be modified on the camera itself before flight, giving the camera physical f-stops of f2.8 (wide open), f8.0 (3 f-stop reduction) and f22.0 (six f-stop reduction)... it would do the following:

1) Production costs would be significantly less than a remotely adjusted f-stop setup modified from the controller.

2) The dependence of ND filters would be reduced to just 2 filters... 0.3 - 1 f-stop reduction and 0.6 - 2 f-stops reduction. Those two filters alone would give a continuous 9 f-stop range, when used in conjunction with the aperture settings above.

3) You would actually see an improvement in the lens resolution... the vast majority of lenses have their "sweet spot" in terms of sharpness, 3 stops down from wide open.

I think what’s buggin me right now, being financially invested in a couple Yuneec birds.....as @LinsonW said that they “listened” to some requests and feedback.....instead of issuing a firmware update (for DNG only, filesystem management and a few other things) they built a new bird and said, ”here, we listened, now spend $2200 on this new bird”......really? So, us with a CGO3+ and a C23....we’re just SOL......thanks?

I guess I’m not the intended target....I already have (2) 1/2.3 cameras - CGO3+ and Mavic Air.....and (2) 1” CMOS cameras - C23 and L1D-20C (Hassy on my M2P)......my next camera will be an MFT or Super35......NOT another 1” with less functionality than one I already have. Plus, if I want, I can spend $329 and buy the zoom camera for my Mavic 2....they swap out with a few screws and ribbon cable plug-in.

I will say this, with complete honesty.....I have NOT ruled the H3 out completely. I’ll certainly wait and see once it comes out and some real world feedback starts rolling in....and who knows, I could sell my 480 and H+ to fund 75% of the purchase of an H3.....that’s still on the table depending on how this new bird performs, how well the camera works, and most importantly, how well received it is with 3rd party support.

I’m with Fred. The H3 has to come out of the gate almost perfectly. It will have to demonstrate significant superiority over what I already have to goad me into a purchase.

However, any reports of effed up firmware and it will be DOA. They will not be given the opportunity to AGAIN release a model with half baked firmware promising corrections maybe someday, if ever. Same with the camera, it will be stellar with no hint of horizon or vertical distortion. If it demonstrates defects there’s no reason to spend money or time with it. If filters and batteries aren’t ready when it goes on sale we won’t have any idea if or when they might be.

Just found this for those of you that want to view. Or view and hear in German. Hope I inserted it correctly I am new here. You can send terminator drones if I was bad.

Reactions: Rubik
Well.......that video sure clarifies a few things.

The video and image quality is outstanding. Really. Generating those large prints.....very nice.

Cruise Control......yes.

Expo adjustments.....yes.

Obviously this is much more than just slapping the Leica name on the new camera.....this looks like an actual Leica camera designed for aerial use. They've got my attention.

Reactions: AH-1G
Picture speaks a thousand words.
It seems an impressive machine.
gotta agree. I gotta admit that those images are better than that I get from my CGO3+. However, I would have liked to see more colour footage to make comparisons...the video above seemed to lean heavily towards black & white. Not in itself wrong in any way: many professionals prefer B&W. I just would have liked to see more colour if only to make comparisons.

Reactions: Mrgs1

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dharminder