Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Obstacle avoidance

Reaction score
I've watched many many reviews on Typhoon H and Plus models, from unboxing to setup and first flights. I've yet to see anyone discuss the RealSense feature or demonstrate how it works. Lots of mention, but no one ever shows how good or bad it is.
Am I just missing those videos or does no one talks about that particular feature?

There are videos where people test this, but the results by and large are not massively impressive, and it seems to fall quite a way short of the sort of performance as seen in some of the early advertising. A Skydio R1 it ain't !The general feeling I get from reading the boards for a while is that most people don't think it's worth the extra expense, and I wasn't tempted when I bought my H, and haven't felt so far that I am missing out by not having it.

Last edited:
There are videos where people test this, but the results by and large are not massively impressive, and it seems to fall quite a way short of the sort of performance as seen in some of the early advertising. A Skydio R1 it ain't !The general feeling I get from reading the boards for a while is that most people don't think it's worth the extra expense, and I wasn't tempted when I bought my H, and haven't felt so far that I am missing out by not having it.
At least it didn't crash.

There are LOTS of YouTube videos on TH480 with RealSense. Just look. Here's one. I haven't seen any for the H Plus but I haven't been looking either. My guess is that very few H Plus pilots use RealSense.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jal7884
I haven't seen any for the H Plus but I haven't been looking either. My guess is that very few H Plus pilots use RealSense.

Which has been for both of us, as well as many other H pilots out there... never had much use or application of RS, since I had little use for Follow Me or Watch Me. My motivation for getting into the hobby was not to make cool selfies. Therefore do not want to have to pay for said accessory...

@Ty Pilot had mentioned the contract with Intel, likely with certain promised minimums... and I agree that is the real reason for not having a non-RS option on the Plus... they would be forced to admit how many pilots would opt out.

I would have preferred a Plus without RealSense and when the RS Plus's hit the shelf in July I was almost tempted to wait for the 'then' promised non-RS version. I am glad I did not, as it looks as though it may not be coming. I have only once had the RS 'On' with my Plus. . . . by accident, it was quickly turned off. ;) I have thought about talking it off but I fear that might upset the Gremlin Gods and, at this stage of the game; my bird is as solid as a rock.

I like the tried and true method. :cool:

Eye.jpg

Reactions: stan55 and Docdor
I would have preferred a Plus without RealSense and when the RS Plus's hit the shelf in July I was almost tempted to wait for the 'then' promised non-RS version. I am glad I did not, as it looks as though it may not be coming. I have only once had the RS 'On' with my Plus. . . . by accident, it was quickly turned off. ;) I have thought about talking it off but I fear that might upset the Gremlin Gods and, at this stage of the game; my bird is as solid as a rock.

I like the tried and true method. :cool:

View attachment 13720
I agree TY, having flown for 30yrs I have always though the best possible OA is the PIC. I always considered it more of a gimmick and something a manufacturer can brag about having. I guess I'm just too old school. Even if it was always on, I would still fly the same and avoid hitting anything anyway. Even for newer pilots, I feel it gives them a false sense of security that could likely lead to a crash.

I have one TH480 with RS and one without. In the two years I've been flying TH480s I think I've used the RS features just 3 times. In those 3 cases it was just a test to see what it could do to save me from myself. It was NOT worth the $$$ for me. YMMV.

We're starting to see OA on newer aircraft from other manufacturers that sport sensors front, rear, down but none that I've seen with up sensors. For OA to really help a lot of beginners and those wanting to use it in challenging situations it would need to have sensors in all directions. Anyone who thinks the H+ with RS is a beginners aircraft is fooling themselves (IMHO).

I agree TY, having flown for 30yrs I have always though the best possible OA is the PIC. I always considered it more of a gimmick and something a manufacturer can brag about having. I guess I'm just too old school. Even if it was always on, I would still fly the same and avoid hitting anything anyway. Even for newer pilots, I feel it gives them a false sense of security that could likely lead to a crash.

Same here and I 100% agree. Especially that last bit.

Reactions: Crashking and 10-8
So I take it none of you guys have ever run into anything you did not mean to. I make fun of my buddy's Highlander with collision avoidance but he says it has saved his butt a couple of times. Not trying to jack you guys up, just saying.
Since I would be a beginner, maybe an $1800 drone wouldn't be what I should get. I just hate to spend $500 on a good one and wish I had gotten the better one. No one else may not understand that reasoning. I'd rather buy once and cry once.
I do however understand most of you guys are professionals and not just funning around.

Actually, I did put an H-480 prop into a stage light once. As I had permission to fly through the stage to get the shots desired being close to things was a necessity. Had OA or RealSense been employed none of the shots could have been obtained. End result it I got the shots, one prop got severely damaged, the light came out just fine, but the flight continued as if nothing had happened and flew back for a safe landing.

Anyone that has a need to fly close enough to put a lens inside a hornet’s nest is eventually going to get stung. Once we accept that we learn to stay far enough back to avoid risk or take the chance that something might happen we didn’t want, accepting the possible outcome. There’s no true “in between” where things like OA and RealSense make any sense.

Reactions: 10-8
Actually, I did put an H-480 prop into a stage light once. As I had permission to fly through the stage to get the shots desired being close to things was a necessity. Had OA or RealSense been employed none of the shots could have been obtained. End result it I got the shots, one prop got severely damaged, the light came out just fine, but the flight continued as if nothing had happened and flew back for a safe landing.

Anyone that has a need to fly close enough to put a lens inside a hornet’s nest is eventually going to get stung. Once we accept that we learn to stay far enough back to avoid risk or take the chance that something might happen we didn’t want, accepting the possible outcome. There’s no true “in between” where things like OA and RealSense make any sense.
I recently saw a video on YouTube where a guy took his Mavik above the fog to take some video. When time to bring it down the bottom sensors read the fog as ground and would not descend. It finally came down slowly as if just prior to touching the ground. Barely avoided a crash. Apparently on a Mavik the sensors can't be turned off.

Once again after reading responses to a logical question about RS i see a lot of bashing beginner pilots. If it is the personal OPINION of a member that RS isn't worth the money so be it. If it's backed by some sort of DATA even better. Somehow it always deteriorates into a " Beginners" jab. "Beginners" want to much, "Beginners" shouldn't be using. I return to this forum when I get the email to see what info I can glean, but would never ask a question. I work doing Hydrographic Surveys with the Army Corp of Engineers and would like try some new thing and proof of concept stuff before committing to higher priced drones, but heaven forbid the lecture without value.

Reactions: wlkjr
Once again after reading responses to a logical question about RS i see a lot of bashing beginner pilots. If it is the personal OPINION of a member that RS isn't worth the money so be it. If it's backed by some sort of DATA even better. Somehow it always deteriorates into a " Beginners" jab. "Beginners" want to much, "Beginners" shouldn't be using. I return to this forum when I get the email to see what info I can glean, but would never ask a question. I work doing Hydrographic Surveys with the Army Corp of Engineers and would like try some new thing and proof of concept stuff before committing to higher priced drones, but heaven forbid the lecture without value.

You're correct in many of your assertions. Its why I often use "YMMV" and "IMHO" often.

A "beginner" can easily prevent the jabs from well meaning members if they are willing to learn. Read the materials that are available here and search the forum when appropriate. Asking good questions is always welcomed here IMHO.

Doesn't asking the question show the willingness to learn. In my humble opinion, it seems to me that instead of replying to the question a rebuke of the poster or beginners seems to be the reply, even when an answer to the question would have more brief. And really, only the poster can prevent the jabs, IMHO.

i do have realsence as yet have not turned it on but i will be turning it on for 1 shoot that i am going back too as i have a real problem seeing whether or not i am about to hit the hill
i want to get in close to do a reveal. just have to remember it only works facing the front ill let you no how i get on with it ( i will test flying up to a fence before i do the shoot )

this i think is the best demo i have seen from 12 mins in

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ludwig