Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Pre-Flight check list for Typhoon H & H Plus

My personal experience with the H says it's a good idea to land into the wind, take off doesn't seem to matter, but my landings are a lot more stable into the the wind.
I wonder why that is. I get perfectly stable landings every time in any direction. Perhaps it is because I don't land directionally so much as arrive directionally at my designated landing spot, hover, wait (just out of ground effect zone) for drift to stabilize, then descend straight down without any directional input, which gives me a flawless landing every time. Literally doesn't matter what the wind is doing (providing it is under 45 mph ! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: KellyR
Wouldn't of thought it would make much difference. It seems stable enough to me, I think some may hover close to the ground a little bit to long and introduce the instability.

• Haha
Reactions: KellyR and Mrgs1
Into the wind helps those that don’t have it together reacting to roll or yaw yet. However, landing into the wind assists everyone as it makes the best use of the long axis of the skids for touchdown stability. Those that truly have it together can land into extremely strong wind, with the aircraft tilted forward into the wind to touch down on the skid tips and gently rock back onto the length of the skids using pitch control. That’s pretty difficult to execute correctly touching down sideways into the wind.

For multirotor take off that’s not a big deal unless you happen to be one of those that likes to ease the aircraft off the ground. A brisk take off has the aircraft up and away from the ground too quickly for the wind to be of much concern.

Reactions: RatBob and Phaedrus
That is why you should always test your procedures. That definitely would have come to light if attempted!
Calibrating is last as a reminder and the important point is as it states "if required" and if I had placed it at the top everyone would think cal before flight and that is not needed at all. In fact some manufacturers are saying just do it once and again only if flying somewhere far away. In fact I think that item can be dropped from the check list but it's there for the new pilots. I have only calibrated the H once in three years. I was told by an expert that the drone on board computer only gets confused with regular calibration and makes it unstable as it has to lock in new coordinates each time ( I do recommend to calibrate if you see drift or anything unusual in flight).
One more point to other comments here which is adding to the check list which defeats the purpose of a quick checklist of the essential points I accept there are many other checks to be made but that becomes pilot preference. Thanks bevangg cheers

...I was told by an expert that the drone on board computer only gets confused with regular calibration and makes it unstable as it has to lock in new coordinates each time ( I do recommend to calibrate if you see drift or anything unusual in flight).
I agree with you on that point. There is an argument that calibrating the compass when it is unnecessary, or far to often, can present more opportunities for a bad calibration to be introduced into the system thus causing more problems during flight that wouldn't have been there otherwise.

Calibration of the compass only needs to be done 1) The first flight when new out of the box, 2) after a firmware update, 3) when moving a significant distant from the last place you flew certainly in an East-West direction (less important if North-South), and 4) if the system asks for calibration either by an on-screen message or strange behavior.

Many moons ago before I got savvy with the system I used to calibrate the compass on the majority of a day's first flight. I don't now...there simply isn't a need.

If drifting it may not need calibrating, the sticks may need cleaned instead?
So now I carry "CRC, QD Electronic Cleaner".
This my need to be on your check list.

Many moons ago before I got savvy with the system I used to calibrate the compass on the majority of a day's first flight. I don't now...there simply isn't a need.

I regularly travel from one end of California to the other. I cannot recall the last time I calibrated the compass on my H+.

AH-1G,

I’d like to suggest people develop a maintenance checklist separate from a pre-flight checklist. If controls do not respond correctly the pre-flight checklist would be terminated since flight would not be safe. At that point it would be time for problem identification and resolution, referring to the maintenance checklist where things like cleaning gimbals would be listed.

Reactions: NorWiscPilot
It would be interesting to see who suffers from the oxidisation on the ports? Just a quick observation its mostly US or that side of the pond, haven't yet seen anyone on this side complain, could it be an atmospheric condition, the dryer conditions etc? Perhaps the wetter, moisture prone areas the process is slowed down or stops. Or is a good stir of the sticks everytime enough to keep it at bay?

Last edited:
Or, if one bumps the left d-pad, no need to bump again. Once does it. At least that is my experience.

We have options!

Jeff

Very true, but then if you start cruise mode you have to dismiss the message in-flight, and reset all your WB etc again... so for me that right bump before we start is killing 2 birds with one stone.

AH-1G,

I’d like to suggest people develop a maintenance checklist separate from a pre-flight checklist. If controls do not respond correctly the pre-flight checklist would be terminated since flight would not be safe. At that point it would be time for problem identification and resolution, referring to the maintenance checklist where things like cleaning gimbals would be listed.
I agree, however I was out and had drifting problems, so I had to head back home get my cleaner to correct the issue.
So my mental check list is to make sure I have my cleaner with me, so I don't waist time going back and forth.?

Not to side track, but I cleaned gimbals the other day only to experience a repeat of the issue a couple flights later. We might want to note I removed the gimbal from the Tx. Worked great for a couple flights but no more.

Read in another forum where some have taken the time to clean the connector pins using contact cleaner or going so far as to eliminate the connectors and solder the pun connections. The issue stays gone.

I’m very aware of corrosion issues with JST type connectors. It was a frequent problem with UAV’s that did not employ gold pinned connectors. It was an extreme issue in marine and humid environments as found in places like the Philippines and similar locations. Both marine and humid locations required application of a chemical cleaner/sealer at the connectors to mitigate the issue. Dryer climates employed contact cleaner.

Just a thought...

I agree, however I was out and had drifting problems, so I had to head back home get my cleaner to correct the issue.
So my mental check list is to make sure I have my cleaner with me, so I don't waist time going back and forth.?
Take a hip flask next time, for medicinal purpose, clean the joystick and keep ya warm in winter! And of any irate member of the public takes offense to you flying, let's have drink and discuss like rational human beings.

• Haha
Reactions: AH-1G
Very true, but then if you start cruise mode you have to dismiss the message in-flight, and reset all your WB etc again... so for me that right bump before we start is killing 2 birds with one stone.

I was under the impression either d-pad would facilitate the “bump” and the message dismiss/redo wb et al”. issue. Works for me, anyway. Just one bump of the left d-pad, dismiss the message, set camera as desired and all is good.

Perhaps I’m not using cruise control enough to know off hand if it also has a message pop-up even if the left d-pad has already been exercised. Something else to experiment with along with an excuse to fly.

[emoji41]

Jeff

I wonder why that is. I get perfectly stable landings every time in any direction. Perhaps it is because I don't land directionally so much as arrive directionally at my designated landing spot, hover, wait (just out of ground effect zone) for drift to stabilize, then descend straight down without any directional input, which gives me a flawless landing every time. Literally doesn't matter what the wind is doing (providing it is under 45 mph ! :)
pretty much how I land, but wind gusts still affect it, and headwinds less so. I would imagine every H has a bit of it's own character really.

I too made one of those when I first started, and have never once referred to it in the field :) If you fly regularly, your pre-flights get memorised very quickly, but perhaps the process of making the sheet helps with that, so not a criticism...

No need to take off into the wind though ! It's a multirotor - it doesn't care what the wind is directionally doing when it is taking off, landing or at any other time !
The only time I would say you need to pay attention to that is when you are doing longer range flights that you are worried may tax the battery pack - then it makes sense to fly out against the wind so it is behind the craft for its return.
I too made a list and then updated the list after a while. You are right though, you will learn then steps quickly, if you follow your list until muscle memory (brain) kicks in.

Don

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval