Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Rakon Q500 Build

Went out flying today with my smaller drones, trying to improve my skills.

The wind was starting to shift and increase by the time I got to the field, had to fly in the parking lot as that there was a small group using the field for sports practice.

My smaller drone has altitude hold so it was kind of easy but being lightweight it was like swimming upstream, when I was feeling like I could fly my Bugs 3 I was mistaken,,,,,,,,

The Bugs doesn't have alt. hold or GPS and being my first time flying a bird without those assets it got the better of me in a very short time, best thing was to pack up and wait for a better day,

Gotta tell you this, it's going to be a big hurdle to get over flying without a safety net of automatic anything,,,,,,

it's been difficult to wait for the right parts to come along for the "Q", an airframe was at the top of the list along with batteries for both the TX and for the "Q".
Found an older airframe pre 4k, white, but the guy that has it can't leave his house due to his age and health in the face of the CV thing, to ship it.

Another thing on my list is all the original paper that came with the Q, I know it's online, and I can print it but it's not quite the same, ya know?

I would like to ask, were is the best place for the compass in the Q500 Rakon Heli body ?

Most place it as far forward in the nose as possible. Be sure to twist the wire harness to reduce magnetic interference.

It is desirable to have the compass and the GPS units as far as practical from any other electronics on the aircraft. The compass also needs to be firmly mounted so it cannot change its position once calibration is done.

I would like to ask, were is the best place for the compass in the Q500 Rakon Heli body ?

The Rakon frame kit comes with a delrin compass bracket to mount the compass board under the rear of the frame away from the camera, gimbal, and flight control board. It can be seen in the second to the last picture of post #5.

RG

Appreciate your post, have seen your very fine pictures, my doubt about the best compass position is because in picture #5 the compass is located as you mention, but in picture #8 the compass seem to be located at the bottom of the drone with the updated bracket, not complete sure because the pictures with the drone flying are not 100% clear. Did you keep the compass position as picture 5 or was moved as it appears in picture #8 ????
My first flight with the Rakon Heli frame was disappointed, the Q at 3 feet high flown toward me and crash, only 2 blades broken, used another ST10 controller bind the drone and same thing, again flown toward me, all by itself.
Before the test made the compass and accelerometer calibration and everything was (apparent) ok. First guess is the wrong compass location, to close to the main board, then I think to reset it to factory settings, along with the ST10.
Hope can make it fly as should be, any input from the forum will help me to find the problem, get tired to be hit.

Appreciate your post, have seen your very fine pictures, my doubt about the best compass position is because in picture #5 the compass is located as you mention, but in picture #8 the compass seem to be located at the bottom of the drone with the updated bracket, not complete sure because the pictures with the drone flying are not 100% clear. Did you keep the compass position as picture 5 or was moved as it appears in picture #8 ????
My first flight with the Rakon Heli frame was disappointed, the Q at 3 feet high flown toward me and crash, only 2 blades broken, used another ST10 controller bind the drone and same thing, again flown toward me, all by itself.
Before the test made the compass and accelerometer calibration and everything was (apparent) ok. First guess is the wrong compass location, to close to the main board, then I think to reset it to factory settings, along with the ST10.
Hope can make it fly as should be, any input from the forum will help me to find the problem, get tired to be hit.
Morning, I had to dig for my answer of where to mount the compass, the kit has it under the rear and on the RH side, you can see it hanging down under the air frame, white, looks like a little flag.
In pic 2 of the linked thread, gotta scroll down to the post with pics in it, then click on the pic for an enlargement.

The instructions didn't label it as the compass mount, only what screw to hold it in.
It' seems to be in a precarious place but you'er going to have to try pretty hard to damage it in flight.

Make sure to let the bird set for at least 5min. after a successful compass calibration, idle time isn't flight time, so it doesn't drain your battery to just wait.

Make sure your GPS is as stated above, and I removed the copper foil from the stock air frame and fit it to the new one just like they had it in the stock frame.

Make sure the air frame is level after you complete the calibration or the gyros will not set like they should, if the air frame is tilted during boot up then the gyro will set that tilt as level.

Take your time, this isn't a race.

Most flight problems stem from pre-flight error.

Found a link to the compass bracket,

And another pic of the location, you see it hanging down on the right hand side.
Click on the pics to enlarge.

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 12
  • images.jpg
    images.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Appreciate your advice, also the way you hold the wires is much better, the pictures are crystal clear.
Will post the outcome, just have to wait for new door latch that broke with the crash.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval