Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Realsense released, caused unexpected behavior

Reaction score
Hey,

I see a few posts on fly aways and I wanted to post this.

I was flying in a corridor with trees to the left and the right. (realsense set to on and I was in manual mode) I flew the typhoon out to just over 100 feet away and turned the typhoon around to fly back to me. The typhoon became unresponsive. I spun the typhoon around the opposite way to test the controls and to then fly back to me. It turned as expected but the typhoon wouldn't move toward me. The typhoon did increase and decreased altitude as expected. I placed the mode into smart mode (right switch all the way to the up position) and pulled back on the right joy stick but I did not see any noticeable response to move the drone closer to me. I then flipped the switch for the realsense to off and the drone went hard left and ended up in a tree. Only 20 feet from the ground but 1 broken arm, 1 broken leg and the plate around the camera is missing.

Has this happen to anyone else? Is a home repair possible? I'm pretty handy with mechanical tasks.

Thanks,

Nick

If you put it in smart mode it should have climbed about 60 meters. In smart mode it will not respond to your controls, Smart mode takes over your controls. Being in the trees was a mistake, trees have a habitual habit of disliking drones and they will attack without warning. Stay away from trees!;)
Home repair is possible, just evaluate what needs to be fixed and let us know if you have any issues.:)

You will find many post that involve drones crashed in trees as they can interfere with frequency and GPS contact to the H.

Last edited:
If you put it in smart mode it should have climbed about 60 meters. In smart mode it will not respond to your controls, Smart mode takes over your controls. Being in the trees was a mistake, trees have a habitual habit of disliking drones and they will attack without warning. Stay away from trees!;)
Home repair is possible, just evaluate what needs to be fixed and let us know if you have any issues.:)

You will find many post that involve drones crashed in trees as they can interfere with frequency and GPS contact to the H.

Thanks for the reply. I had to get some pictures of railroad tracks and wanted to be close enough for details, otherwise I'd normally be above the trees. Climb to 60 meters? Isn't that return home? I had a thought that being between the trees and having the train tracks and cables there that it probably interfered with the electronics. You are confirming what I concluded. Thanks again and I'll post if I need help. If you know of a good place/way to obtain the parts feel free to make a recommendation.

Thanks for the reply. I had to get some pictures of railroad tracks and wanted to be close enough for details, otherwise I'd normally be above the trees. Climb to 60 meters? Isn't that return home? I had a thought that being between the trees and having the train tracks and cables there that it probably interfered with the electronics. You are confirming what I concluded. Thanks again and I'll post if I need help. If you know of a good place/way to obtain the parts feel free to make a recommendation.
@AH-1G is confused so you can disregard those comments about Smart Mode. What you were attempting to do seems appropriate. However, if the right stick wasn't getting a response in Angle mode, it's unlikely to work in Smart mode.
You don't mention how high you were above the tracks, but many people have found that flying over tracks causes erratic behavior. The answer is to increase altitude. You should also check the right stick in hardware monitor and see if is responsive or sluggish. Compare it to the left stick.

If this is still under warranty you could contact Yuneec. If you prefer to fix it yourself it is not difficult. If the camera piece is the skirt around the gimbal, don't bother replacing it. I take those off and throw them in a drawer.

If you can post some pictures we can give you some tips about repair. It sounds like the parts you need is less than $100.

@AH-1G is confused so you can disregard those comments about Smart Mode. What you were attempting to do seems appropriate. However, if the right stick wasn't getting a response in Angle mode, it's unlikely to work in Smart mode.
You don't mention how high you were above the tracks, but many people have found that flying over tracks causes erratic behavior. The answer is to increase altitude. You should also check the right stick in hardware monitor and see if is responsive or sluggish. Compare it to the left stick.

If this is still under warranty you could contact Yuneec. If you prefer to fix it yourself it is not difficult. If the camera piece is the skirt around the gimbal, don't bother replacing it. I take those off and throw them in a drawer.

If you can post some pictures we can give you some tips about repair. It sounds like the parts you need is less than $100.

Thank you for the reply. I've been flying every day for the past months and this is the first time I encountered this. I was 20 FT at altitude and again I think you are right. The tracks along with the trees on either side of me must have caused this because the typhoon has been handling really well. Still, in smart mode it didn't respond as we are both thinking. It may have been me too. Ok, I found some cheap parts on ebay and the camera skirt is all I see. So if I buy what I think I need the arm and motor is $40 and the landing leg is $10. thanks cheap for a good lesson. Thank you.

Thank you for the reply. I've been flying every day for the past months and this is the first time I encountered this. I was 20 FT at altitude and again I think you are right. The tracks along with the trees on either side of me must have caused this because the typhoon has been handling really well. Still, in smart mode it didn't respond as we are both thinking. It may have been me too. Ok, I found some cheap parts on ebay and the camera skirt is all I see. So if I buy what I think I need the arm and motor is $40 and the landing leg is $10. thanks cheap for a good lesson. Thank you.
Please check that right stick in Hardware Monitor to see if it is functioning correctly. I do see this episode as unusual and would not have expected to see that kind of behavior at 20'. Perhaps lower than 10', then yes.

Ok, I found some cheap parts on ebay and the camera skirt is all I see.

IMHO, do NOT get cheap parts off of eBay... do a search on the forum... you will find threads where there are reports (for example), of knockoff props self-destructing in flight. Buy replacement parts from dealers that have shown a good track record with members of this board:

Carolina Dronz
One Stop Shop for all Aerial/UAV/Drone Products

Terrestrial Imaging
Terrestrial Imaging Drone Sales, Service and Repair | Supporting America's UAV Pilots and Flight Departments

Vertigo Drones
Vertigo Drones Sells A Wide Selection of Drones & UAVs For Photography, Video and Racing

@Steve Carr
Steve, I had practiced putting my drone in smart mode when at a distance just to see the results while in smart mode I had no control at all unless I went back to angle mode. This was my experience. Was it a glitch, who knows?
I agree railroad tracks will cause flight issues, this was not mentioned when he first posted the problem.

Reactions: wings
When you switch to Smart Mode the H should respond as in Headless mode. It will not raise to 60'. Give it another try. If you are past the Geo-fence settings it will not travel further away, but it should go left, right and back toward the pilot.

Duhhhh the whole time I meant Home Mode. geeeeezzzzzzz at 62 my brain is shorting out not reading what I posted . Sorry.:confused::(:eek::rolleyes:o_O

Reactions: m5zealot
When you switch to Smart Mode the H should respond as in Headless mode.

Ironic that "smart" mode is associated with "headless" mode... **** I've been operating in "headless" mode since about 1977... people misinterpret my sig as a comment on others, when in fact it's a comment on myself... :p

Please check that right stick in Hardware Monitor to see if it is functioning correctly. I do see this episode as unusual and would not have expected to see that kind of behavior at 20'. Perhaps lower than 10', then yes.

Thanks for the reply. I may have been closer to 10 feet instead of 20 feet. What is the problem at 10 feet or less? I haven't seen anything regarding this. Thanks.

IMHO, do NOT get cheap parts off of eBay... do a search on the forum... you will find threads where there are reports (for example), of knockoff props self-destructing in flight. Buy replacement parts from dealers that have shown a good track record with members of this board:

Carolina Dronz
One Stop Shop for all Aerial/UAV/Drone Products

Terrestrial Imaging
Terrestrial Imaging Drone Sales, Service and Repair | Supporting America's UAV Pilots and Flight Departments

Vertigo Drones
Vertigo Drones Sells A Wide Selection of Drones & UAVs For Photography, Video and Racing

Thanks, I'll check it all out. Good to know.

Thanks for the reply. I may have been closer to 10 feet instead of 20 feet. What is the problem at 10 feet or less? I haven't seen anything regarding this. Thanks.
I should have been more specific. I meant to say if you were lower than 10' while flying over railroad tracks the compass can be affected and cause erratic flight.

Reactions: WiteTigr
I should have been more specific. I meant to say if you were lower than 10' while flying over railroad tracks the compass can be affected and cause erratic flight.

I agree with this one 100% the metal on and around the tracks affects the GPS like crazy should have had all kinds of GPS things going off. I've flown in an area where the ground had a lot of metal (iron I'm told). and it freaks out the GPS, had to take it down the road a little ways just to calibrate the compass.

Same problems occur flying around my metal roof to check out the roof and leaves. Starts getting "flighty". However, does make a good leaf blower!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval