Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

She's feeling naked now - Removed RS Module

Reaction score
So I figured, why not remove the RS module because of how useless it is. Now that it is off the plus, she feels naked but I did gain about 2 - 4 minutes of flight time from its removal. It also doesn't scream at me with that stupid fan during startup, she just sits there and blinks like hey, throw me in the air already. Just need to order a Flight Status Dome Cover to cover the module plug in for that stock look again.

Attachments

• 20190404_170337.jpg
    20190404_170337.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 47
Last edited:
My H Plus RS module has rested comfortably in a drawer. It remains a virgin and no chance for a date. The Plus seemed happy to shed this burden. It has, on occasion, quietly lamented the RS should have had a rear view mirror to be of any value to it's current owner.

Now you’ve done it!!!!! BRB I’ll get mine naked as well.

• Haha
Reactions: JackMTaco
I've searched for Plus or the H520 Tri-Color Lampshade but the Typhoon H keeps coming up.. This must be the same design on all platforms?

I have been thinking about taking mine off since I first got my Plus (and selling to someone in the UK;)). The only reason I haven't is for the IPS feature it affords. A few times while booting up around my place in the woods where Sat reception is poor, it told me it has entered ISP mode. I can take off and it handles very nicely and hovers quite accurately. But as soon as it gets GPS again it switches back to GPS. I can say the IPS works very well and the aircraft holds it's position with dead-on accuracy. There are times I would like to use IPS instead of GPS, I just wish I could select it manually so it would not switch back.
Still might take it off anyway and wait for a future FW Build that lets us manually select IPS.

I have been thinking about taking mine off since I first got my Plus (and selling to someone in the UK;)). The only reason I haven't is for the IPS feature it affords. A few times while booting up around my place in the woods where Sat reception is poor, it told me it has entered ISP mode. I can take off and it handles very nicely and hovers quite accurately. But as soon as it gets GPS again it switches back to GPS. I can say the IPS works very well and the aircraft holds it's position with dead-on accuracy. There are times I would like to use IPS instead of GPS, I just wish I could select it manually so it would not switch back.
Still might take it off anyway and wait for a future FW Build that lets us manually select IPS.
Me too, me too, I want to get naked!!!

"I did gain about 2 - 4 minutes of flight time from its removal."

Do you think that is mostly from the weight savings or the fan and module always running? I wonder how much it would gain if I just unplugged it and left it there. Mine is only 5 months old and don't really want to void my warranty quite yet.

"I did gain about 2 - 4 minutes of flight time from its removal."

Do you think that is mostly from the weight savings or the fan and module always running? I wonder how much it would gain if I just unplugged it and left it there. Mine is only 5 months old and don't really want to void my warranty quite yet.

I feel it is a combination of both. I haven't had a chance to weigh it but it does have some significant weight to it along with always drawing power whether you shut off realsense in the menu settings or not.

Last edited:
Reactions: TurboDad81
You need the lamp also don’t you? Was it under there? It’s no different then the 480 version so you can swap it out with a standard H if you got one. The Standard H with RS makes sense if you use a wizard but on the Plus does seem kind of useless.

You need the lamp also don’t you? Was it under there? It’s no different then the 480 version so you can swap it out with a standard H if you got one. The Standard H with RS makes sense if you use a wizard but on the Plus does seem kind of useless.

For me I don't need the lamp. I don't run any smart modes on this Plus (I have 2) This is strictly manual flying. Also the lamp was not there and needs to be purchased separate but I'm not even sure if there is a plugin for the lamp on the H plus. It is a separate harness and doesn't plug into the harness that the realsense module was plugged into. I already purchased the lampshade cover just to cover the spot where the RS sat.

Lol I fly indoor frequently and just installed one on mine [emoji39] haven't a chance to test it yet but hope the IPS will live up to my expectations [emoji120] the 3 to 4 minutes of flight time I loose is acceptable to me.

But man that fan is loud

That’s a change maybe? The harness lived inside the cover and the lamp had its own connection before. If that’s not in the Plus, then they intended it to be on RS all the time. Since the RS option has a switch in the software of the controller, I’m thinking that they should allow the removal of the RS, and replace with tricolor lamp and cover. The status light from the RS is hard to see and since the controller tells you your flight mode, it seems like if you can’t get the lamp in, it’s no big deal as long as those lamps are not being used for any control or voltage change as a diode can be part of critical path. If they did not include a connection for the lamp then it was just a light. If they did, then it may be needed for proper signal confirmation and start up. For sure the entire board and set up between the H and the Plus are completely different except for the RS module so maybe no lamp needed for any signal pass through.

The Plus and the H520 do not use a status lamp under the "Lampshade", status is enunciated with the rear motor LEDs. Moreover the H520 uses an Orange lampshade that was never intended to pass the light from a "Tri color" LED, and if placed placed on an H480 will only enunciate a warning, since all light emitting from the Orange shade it always appear as a shade of red(ish).

Also, the RS module is thought to be a different version between the two platforms.

Reactions: Ty Pilot

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wiebeedigital