Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

SOLVED: Typhoon H Pro (Realsense) Flyaway

It's a hard lesson to learn because your senses are very heightened and you have to be alert and relaxed at the same time. Camera drones and quality shooting is a unique skill set that requires lots of patience and practice and will always challenge you when conditions are less then perfect. I get up and read wind speed forecast now before a cup of coffee. Calm days are few and far between. I get up early to catch sunrises and gauge my afternoon by cloud cover and I've got a new appreciation for sunlight, shadow, sky color, and getting outside. I love this so much and it's slowly beginning to pay off. It's like learning guitar and it's all practice, practice, practice so when you have to shine you are prepared.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: Rayray and JKru
Another but of advice. If you don't understand the basics of flying your UAV then don't go flying it at night BVLOS. Before you claim you could still see it 1/4 Mike away bear in mind that VLOS INCLUDES KNOWING THE AIRCRAFT'S ORIENTATION.

Another but of advice. If you don't understand the basics of flying your UAV then don't go flying it at night BVLOS. Before you claim you could still see it 1/4 Mike away bear in mind that VLOS INCLUDES KNOWING THE AIRCRAFT'S ORIENTATION.

I am not claiming anything, just here to learn and thanks for the (‿ˠ‿) of advice. ;-) For some background, I have over two decades of Heli, including night flying experience; so beyond basics in this regard. However, this is my first aircraft with FPV. It was about 1000' away and I lost orientation for about five to ten seconds. I was relying too heavily on the FPV and not the aircraft running lights as the experience is additive to my current knowledge and a somewhat cool new perspective to RC. I could see the aircraft and If I would have taken a second to notice the aircraft running lights ( flashing whites in this situation ) I would have recovered in a couple seconds. No harm, no foul.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: CHO
JKru, to assist you (and it has greatly assisted me), I refer you to CraigCam's own solution to minimizing loss of orientation:

Simple VLOS solution

Reactions: JKru
I am not claiming anything, just here to learn and thanks for the (‿ˠ‿) of advice. ;-) For some background, I have over two decades of Heli, including night flying experience; so beyond basics in this regard. However, this is my first aircraft with FPV. It was about 1000' away and I lost orientation for about five to ten seconds. I was relying too heavily on the FPV and not the aircraft running lights as the experience is additive to my current knowledge and a somewhat cool new perspective to RC. I could see the aircraft and If I would have taken a second to notice the aircraft running lights ( flashing whites in this situation ) I would have recovered in a couple seconds. No harm, no foul.

OK, so you're presumably happy to fly a heli at night over a built up area because you have lots of experience and know the craft. My point is that you shouldn't take a craft you are not familiar with and do the same thing, particularly one which seems to have a flyaway habit. Then we see that you are flying primarily FPV. Did you have a spotter with you? Presumably not. No harm, no blame - but more by luck than judgement in this case. The hobby is under scrutiny like no other so please find somewhere nice and open and clear of any buildings or roads before going for advanced stuff like night flying.

JKru, to assist you (and it has greatly assisted me), I refer you to CraigCam's own solution to minimizing loss of orientation:

Simple VLOS solution

I found yellow heat shrink that fits over the foam skid ends for even more contrast. I'm trying that today as weather broke and I've already captured sunrise on mountain snow peak with Q500. Saving H for sunset later and going back hopefully to same spot. I'll post picture later of skids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You were lucky. Not only in still having your H, but you were in FAA Restricted Airspace. The Disneyland Theme Park is designated as National Defense Airspace out to a radius of 3 nautical miles. See NOTAM FDC 4/3635. It restricts all aircraft including unmanned and remote controlled up to an altitude of 3000' AGL. Had something actually gone wrong and your H crashed and someone called the police, you could have been in real trouble, including federal prosecution. Fly smart and keep the hobby safe for everyone. There are many programs you can download to a smartphone or table that will give you a go/no-go from your location.

You were lucky. Not only in still having your H, but you were in FAA Restricted Airspace. The Disneyland Theme Park is designated as National Defense Airspace out to a radius of 3 nautical miles. See NOTAM FDC 4/3635. It restricts all aircraft including unmanned and remote controlled up to an altitude of 3000' AGL. Had something actually gone wrong and your H crashed and someone called the police, you could have been in real trouble, including federal prosecution. Fly smart and keep the hobby safe for everyone. There are many programs you can download to a smartphone or table that will give you a go/no-go from your location.

Wrong, I was not. I was over a mile away from Disney and use know B4U fly, Kittyhawk.io and hover.

Can we stop the nanny conversations? Appreciate the perspective but really not needed.

Thanks

A point should be made here that the H was not designed to be a BLOS aircraft. Having over 40 years in RC and a few more with other stuff I know the systems used in our off the shelf multirotors just aren't reliable enough for long distance work. I trust a radio installation installed myself in just about any RC plane over what we are provided in off the shelf multirotors. Where distance is concerned I put a lot more trust in the old 72mHz band than 2.4. Flying at night is fine, a lot of fun, and permitted for any hobbyist, but they really need to know what they are doing and keep it close.

I haven't read the entire thread, were you able to review the GPS coordinates in the telemetry and recover it?

A point should be made here that the H was not designed to be a BLOS aircraft. Having over 40 years in RC and a few more with other stuff I know the systems used in our off the shelf multirotors just aren't reliable enough for long distance work. I trust a radio installation installed myself in just about any RC plane over what we are provided in off the shelf multirotors. Where distance is concerned I put a lot more trust in the old 72mHz band than 2.4. Flying at night is fine, a lot of fun, and permitted for any hobbyist, but they really need to know what they are doing and keep it close.

I haven't read the entire thread, were you able to review the GPS coordinates in the telemetry and recover it?

Hey PatR,

After I combed through the logs I did determine that it was pilot error. The aircraft was not BLOS but I was looking at my FPV and between looking up at the aircraft to down on the FPV I missed the RTH turn around and did not look at the aircraft running lights as mentioned above. Thus on the screen it looked as if it was flying away. I am still getting compass errors in the log that are not showing up on the transmitter screen (error 32). I have been getting less of them with a good calibration but they still show up.

Thanks

It's easy to lose track of one between the shift from screen to sky. There have been many times in the daylight I've had one blend into the background so well it became invisible. When doing serious shooting I've found having a visual observer to stay "eyes on" makes a tremendous difference in tracking the aircraft, and people that might be getting near to it. I've done a lot of night flying with multirotors, not with the H much, but with others. I tend to stay a lot closer at night. As I've aged my eyesight, even with corrective lenses, is not as good at night so the position lighting can appear to "flare" at distance and confuse what is being presented.

Just to help keep you out of trouble, Notam FDC 4/3635 for the DIsneyland area has a 3 nautical mile radius. 6076' to a nautical mile. B4UFly does not accurately depict restricted flight zones, leaving them up to the user to accurately define.

Last edited:
Wrong, I was not. I was over a mile away from Disney and use know B4U fly, Kittyhawk.io and hover.
Can we stop the nanny conversations? Appreciate the perspective but really not needed.

Sorry if I seemed harsh, but I went by the Google map Webdster did of the flight log which showed the flight location starting in a parking lot south of the park. You said you were over a mile away, but the Restricted Area has a radius of 3 nm. I was just trying to help educate folks on safe flying, not picking on you directly. Picking a fight was not the intention. If folks don't try to help periodically, then the hobby is at risk of useless regulations like in New Zealand.

Sorry if I seemed harsh, but I went by the Google map Webdster did of the flight log which showed the flight location starting in a parking lot south of the park. You said you were over a mile away, but the Restricted Area has a radius of 3 nm. I was just trying to help educate folks on safe flying, not picking on you directly. Picking a fight was not the intention. If folks don't try to help periodically, then the hobby is at risk of useless regulations like in New Zealand.

Fair enough appreciate the help I did not intend it in turn.

Had a problem today with my drone. I flew yesterday no problems and calibrated my compass because I drove from Seattle -> California. The second day I took off it told me to land immediately and was getting a compass calibration error on the ST16 controller; so I did and recalibrated. Took off and started out at around 400 feet of altitude and after a period of time about 1/4 mile away I hit the return to home and the drone did not respond and continued away from me. I then flipped it between angle and smart and continued to flyaway. I then hit return to home again and nothing and then back to angle. I then took to the sticks and regained control and then hit return to home and it flew home and it started to fly back. Attached is the log that shows a error 32 (Think thats compass). Any ideas guys?

Had a problem today with my drone. I flew yesterday no problems and calibrated my compass because I drove from Seattle -> California. The second day I took off it told me to land immediately and was getting a compass calibration error on the ST16 controller; so I did and recalibrated. Took off and started out at around 400 feet of altitude and after a period of time about 1/4 mile away I hit the return to home and the drone did not respond and continued away from me. I then flipped it between angle and smart and continued to flyaway. I then hit return to home again and nothing and then back to angle. I then took to the sticks and regained control and then hit return to home and it flew home and it started to fly back. Attached is the log that shows a error 32 (Think thats compass). Any ideas guys?

HELLO
REALSENSE HAS ME CONCERNED AS WELL.
I DO NOT TRUST MY H WITH REALSENSE. IT WAS IN CALIFORNIA AT YUNEEC FOR 4.5 MONTHS UNDER WARRANTY REPAIR. NOW IT NO LONGER HAS WARRANTY, SO I WILL NOT TAKE ANY CHANCES WITH IT AT ALL.
IT SEEMS UNSTABLE - FAST BATTERY DRAIN . I HAVE MANY CONCERNS WITH IT. I WILL NEVER FLY OUT OF LINE OF SIGHT WITH IT. QUITE SIMPLY I DO NOT TRUST THIS DRONE. I HAVE ANOTHER TYPHOON H WITHOUT REALSENSE. I TRUST IT MORE SO.
BUT I HAVE LEARNED THEY ARE NOT TO BE FLOWN
OUT OF LOS. STAY IN TOUCH.
KEITH K

Does it sometimes take that long to respond to RTH? Why was I getting those compass errors during flight?

HELLO
I NOTICED AT TIMES THERE MAY BE A DELAY
IN PERHAPS GETTING THE SIGNAL TO THE DRONE.
MINE DOES NOT RESPOND RITE AWAY EITHER.
KEITH

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drakemerch33