Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Steady Grip LiPo Battery Mod

Is this a good mod?

• Yes, worked fine for me!

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • No, don't do it.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not sure

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
A lipo isn't really a safe battery to have in a piece of equipment that could flatten the battery completely. What some folk don't realise is that the lipo alarm itself draws current and would need to be turned off when not in use or it would create the very scenario it's intended to avoid if (say) you're out of the house when it triggers and don't hear it. The proper way to install the alarm would be to use a double pole on/off switch to the gimbal and use the extra terminals to turn the lipo alarm off at the same time as the gimbal... not sure whether many people are actually doing that though.

. What some folk don't realise is that the lipo alarm itself draws current and would need to be turned off when not in use...

True. The alarm does draw juice.

I notched the slide in battery cover just big enough for the wires and velcro'ed the alarm to the outside of the battery compartment. That way I can monitor the voltage and unplug as needed.

Also, the battery I used is slender enough that it's not a tight fit in the battery compartment. Plenty of room.

You may want to do a cleaner job. As for me I only care about function. This works extremely well for me. At the end of the video there is a diagram on wiring the alarm.

Attachments

• steady.jpg
    steady.jpg
    445.7 KB · Views: 60
  • wire.JPG
    wire.JPG
    28.8 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Reactions: Daniel O
Here is how I fixed the problem on mine. With 8 rechargeable batteries and charger costing hear $40 and then lasting about 3 or 4 mins.

I think I screwed up a bit on the picture loading part. I may need to delete some. Sorry.

I used it for the first time over an extended period at a wedding Saturday, used it throughout the day off and on, it worked everytime and never changed the battery. Using the battery that come with the Typhoon is the way to go! I can't believe Yuneec didn't do that from the start. I may throw a couple on Ebay and see what happens.

Here is how I fixed the problem on mine. With 8 rechargeable batteries and charger costing hear $40 and then lasting about 3 or 4 mins.

Would you list all the parts needed for this mod? I would like to know the type of wiring connectors used.
Thanks in advance.

Would you list all the parts needed for this mod? I would like to know the type of wiring connectors used.
Thanks in advance.
I made the aluminum plates but I'm sure you could make something work. For the connectors I had ordered what I thought was the right plug for the battery, but it was wrong. So, because I had to use it, I just used an old RCA stereo cable and plugged it in. I took out the battery tray, cut the wires, drilled a hole for the wire to go through and attached the RCA cable. I then drilled 4 holes in the bottom cover and pushed the 4 rubber well nuts through the holes then tightened them up. I slide the battery into the tray and then lightly tighten the screws with my finger to hold the battery in place. Pretty easy. I have extra trays if you're interested.

My steady cam doesn't use batteries! (The camera does though) Seriously though, I followed the direction of the manual and bought rechargeable AA batteries. It stated regular batteries only last 15 minutes but it didn't say how long the rechargeable ones will last. I guess I'll find out. Loading them up now. :p137756.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Brett Ray
Found this on Ebay and purchased it tonight for $20 it's a plug & play Typhoon H battery tray for the Steady Grip !!!!!!!

SEARCH = Battery Adapter for CGO3+ CGO3 Yuneec Typhoon H SteadyGrip Steady Grip Actioncam

Available for Q500's also :)

Attachments

• SGRIP BAT 1.jpg
    SGRIP BAT 1.jpg
    296.9 KB · Views: 20
  • SGRIP BAT 2.jpg
    SGRIP BAT 2.jpg
    213.8 KB · Views: 18
  • SGRIP BAT 3.jpg
    SGRIP BAT 3.jpg
    221.6 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Received unit today and works as advertised.....very impressed for $20 Bucks am ordering one for the Q500 Battery on 2nd unit.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval