Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Thinking of Buying a 920

Hmm, let me try to come up with some unreasonable explanations.
  • We are old enough to never put a lot of trust in new product advertising
  • We put a bit more effort into product research
  • We already know how to fly and use a camera
  • Earlier in life we learned the wisdom imparted by the story of the old bull and the young bull
  • We don't mind being "different"
Some of us are even too old to be called “baby boomers”. We also say “been there, done that” a lot.

But did you also get the Tee shirt?

I noticed you cut the part about the old bull, young bull story. I have the feeling everyone is avoiding that[emoji849]

Reactions: thoneter
Theoneter,

Regarding your landing concerns expressed earlier. I forgot I made this but the end of it might help allay some of those worries. The very first flight of my 920. Note I always stop a little before touchdown with all my multirotors to allow for gentler landings.

Theoneter,
Regarding your landing concerns expressed earlier. I forgot I made this but the end of it might help allay some of those worries. The very first flight of my 920. Note I always stop a little before touchdown with all my multirotors to allow for gentler landings.
Had forgotten you uploaded that one too... in rewatching since I've had mine up. The screeching motor sound under "no load" was exactly what I was getting. The 920 is a noisy girl, she likes to moan & advertise herself. ;) That was a little of both the Old & Young Bull comment!

Well I picked up my 920 plus yesterday afternoon after some test flights and an overview from the original owner. I like the steadiness in the flight, some may call it slugish but i prefer to think of smooth. It has been used for TV production for the BBC amongst others and I trust 1 careful owner.
I am stuck in a bed and breakfast until Thursday when I head home so stuck here unable to get it fired up for going through the systems and differences with the st16. It came with GB603 gimbal and ST24 so setup for use with GH4 and GH5 and apparently should take the A7R as is. I am hopeful it may take the A7riii which would be pretty stunning for aerial photography.
I have 12 Tattu batteries, 9 yuneec batteries and 2 A10 chargers and of course the handheld stabiliser.

I can't wait to try it out and have a week off soon so hope the weather is favourable.
in the meantime I have 3 nights to re read this entire thread
Sorry not wishing to bore you but just wanted to say. ;)

I'm very pleased to learn the previous owner was able to spend some time with you and the system. That is a tremendous boon. If you ever have a need to go fast, just turn off the GPS. Speed ups from about 24mph to 40mph or so.

You're not boring anybody. We all come here to talk about our 920's, and at times segue into general chit chat. Friends have different interest and experiences and sharing can be interesting and fun. It's all good.

Thanks, I will be taking my time getting to learn it and will undoubtedly spend some time getting the feel of no GPS, I did this with the H and got pretty proficient being able to fly figure 8's and had the confidence to land it eventually though it does take a careful approach haha

@PatR A couple of times in this thread you mention that there is no histogram on the H920+. Not sure if you are referring to stills or video but the previous owner of mine pulled a histogram up on screen when he was demoing to me on Sunday. I didn't take too much note and cannot check it until Friday.

Hopefully the one on the original 920 functions. The one on the 920 Plus ST-16 does not. It’s a disabled-inactive GUI.

Well I picked up my 920 plus yesterday afternoon after some test flights and an overview from the original owner. I like the steadiness in the flight, some may call it slugish but i prefer to think of smooth. It has been used for TV production for the BBC amongst others and I trust 1 careful owner.
I am stuck in a bed and breakfast until Thursday when I head home so stuck here unable to get it fired up for going through the systems and differences with the st16. It came with GB603 gimbal and ST24 so setup for use with GH4 and GH5 and apparently should take the A7R as is. I am hopeful it may take the A7riii which would be pretty stunning for aerial photography.
I have 12 Tattu batteries, 9 yuneec batteries and 2 A10 chargers and of course the handheld stabiliser.

I can't wait to try it out and have a week off soon so hope the weather is favourable.
in the meantime I have 3 nights to re read this entire thread
Sorry not wishing to bore you but just wanted to say. ;)
Great to hear ya got it in the hands... Trunk. Wow, you have a supply of batteries, 4 3pak Tattu is pretty good... plus the 3 3Pak Yuneec. After you get your feet comfortable with the bird, I'm curious about the GB603. Was previous Owner using a GH4 or GH5... I hadn't even had it confirmed yet that a GH5 would fit... it's bit physically bigger than a GH4. Same lens, but not sure if lens is positioned the same distance off the base.

Enjoy and welcome to the 920's. :)

Yuneec UK state that they will only sell you an H920 if you to London to collect and have a handover. That itself is very worthy I think. A shame they have non in stock I just had to order a CGO3 adaptor from EU as well

Depending on your location, it might be worth a call to see if they'd be willing to spend some time with you and your bird despite not buying it from them directly. Yuneec U.K. has been a class act from day 1 and there's no indication of that changing anytime soon.

Great to hear ya got it in the hands... Trunk. Wow, you have a supply of batteries, 4 3pak Tattu is pretty good... plus the 3 3Pak Yuneec. After you get your feet comfortable with the bird, I'm curious about the GB603. Was previous Owner using a GH4 or GH5... I hadn't even had it confirmed yet that a GH5 would fit... it's bit physically bigger than a GH4. Same lens, but not sure if lens is positioned the same distance off the base.

Enjoy and welcome to the 920's. :)

He used the GH5 in the GB603 whilst we did the test flights on sunday, it needs an micro hdmi cable to get it working. He removed the lens part of the gimbal, reckoned he never used it anyway for any of his work without issues.

Depending on your location, it might be worth a call to see if they'd be willing to spend some time with you and your bird despite not buying it from them directly. Yuneec U.K. has been a class act from day 1 and there's no indication of that changing anytime soon.
I may do that too, it just worries me slightly that Yuneec UK do not list any spares, I have to go to the EU site for them and even they don't list motors etc

Sure, and I'll try not to put you to sleep in the process, but once you get used to using it I think you'll love it. We'll assume you have a 920 Plus as I don't know if the original 920 has it. Also understand I've never used Smart mode with my Plus so I don't know if it works in Smart mode. I've only flown using Angle.

At the bottom right side of the ST-16 there is a 4 way set of D Pad controls. These are the basic control functions for CC. The top and bottom buttons are forward and back relative to the nose of the aircraft. the side buttons are left and right relative to the nose of the aircraft. Yaw is not controlled with the D pads when using CC, the left stick remains the only control for yaw. The throttle stick is still active for altitude control.

As some flying the H have indicated that initiating CC in the middle of a flight will reset camera settings it might be a good idea to activate CC early in the flight. I have not noted that happening with the 920 Plus and having a different camera and set of camera controls with the CGO-4 we may be immune to that issue. You can initiate or disengage CC at any time during a flight.

To activate Cruise Control press any one of the right side D Pad buttons. Doing so will bring generate a pop up window on the ST-16 asking if you want to activate CC. Press yes and the screen will go away. CC will then be active but not engaged. To engage CC you'll need to press the button corresponding to your desired direction of travel several times. It usually requires 3 or 4 quick presses of a button to get the aircraft moving very slowly from a dead hover. The more times you press the button the faster the aircraft will fly. This is the one time the throttle and pitch stick are not the primary speed controls. Once you have the speed you want just let it fly. If you need to change course a little you can press one of the side D-pads to alter course a little. Yaw will not change when doing that as the D-pads only control pitch (speed) and roll. If you want to yaw the aircraft you still have to use the left stick for that, and it can be done while in Cruise Control. For general info the D pad controls on the left side of the ST-16 do absolutely nothing when flying with a CGO-4, but become active for camera settings when flying with a CGO-3.

You might start out going straight ahead with CC and later make use of a side control pad to alter the flight path in order to fly a tangent to the original course. This can be really helpful when you encounter a crosswind that's causing the aircraft to drift away from the track you had intended. Pretty much like "slipping" a full scale airplane. At any time you can counter the aircraft's speed and direction by using the opposite D-pad to what you used to initiate the direction of flight. If the 920 is going too fast you can press the bottom/back D pad button. If you need to go faster push the forward pad a few more times. To disengage CC, essentially stopping the aircraft's forward and/or sideways motion, just "stir" the right stick. Any fast or full deflection of the right stick cancels out Cruise Control. But there's a sneaky trick I'll get into in a moment.

When using Cruise Control you still adjust the height of the aircraft using throttle. You will not adjust aircraft speed with the throttle stick while using CC. Remember the fore and aft D pad buttons will be in control of speed. The manufacturer instructions for using CC state that "stirring the sticks" will disengage Cruise Control. I've found that stirring the right stick disengages CC. Now for the sneaky part. The right stick remains active for roll commands when in CC but you only have a very small amount of stick deflection available for maneuvering before that deflection will disengage CC. So you can apply very slow and small stick inputs to alter the flight path to the left or right if needed.

All that probably sounded a bit complicated but is takes longer to describe it that to give it a try and figure it out. It requires a little practice and some getting used to but using Cruise Control where it's possible to make use of it really lightens the workload. It lets the aircraft fly itself on a path of your choosing and frees you up to make use of gimbal controls. After you try it out please come back and let us know what you think of it.

Not the best video in the world but here's one made with a Typhoon H where Cruise Control was used quite a bit to handle the aircraft while I played with the gimbal. Please don't share it outside of our small 920 group here. I'll have a better example if I can finally capture a final scene tomorrow.
https://vimeo.com/261009651

Last edited:
:cool: How 'come all the 920 Pilots are crusty 'ole grumpies!
Welcome! I'm in Iowa
It's because we are all smarter than the young whipper snappers that fly their DJI's on our lawns. **** DJI kids get off of my lawn!

What the heck I don't check this thread for a week and there's 2000 more posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dharminder